Old November 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
Mike Spence

Default Telescopic to coax adaptor?

Is there a recognised way to connect a radio that just has a
telescopic aerial to a coax cable so that an external aerial can be
used?

If not, has anyone got any 'Heath Robinson' ideas?

Thanks
Old November 3rd 04, 12:06 AM
JGBOYLES

Is there a recognised way to connect a radio that just has a telescopic aerial
to a coax cable so that an external aerial can be used?

Sure, just connect a short jumper from the center conductor of the coax to the
telescopic antenna.
What is a 'Heath Robinson' idea? Is that something desirable?

73 Gary N4AST
Old November 4th 04, 08:39 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Dave Piggin wrote:
What is a 'Heath Robinson' idea? Is that something desirable?
Gary
Typicaly a British bit of vocabalry, meaning "Any other answer or
thing I could do to make it work" in it's simplist term. Dave d;-)

William Heath Robinson (1872-1944) was the first to see the humour in
drawing fantastically complicated machines.

The closest translation into US English is "Rube Goldberg".

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Old November 4th 04, 01:33 PM
Tom Donaly

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
Dave Piggin wrote:

What is a 'Heath Robinson' idea? Is that something desirable?
Gary

Typicaly a British bit of vocabalry, meaning "Any other answer or
thing I could do to make it work" in it's simplist term. Dave d;-)

William Heath Robinson (1872-1944) was the first to see the humour in
drawing fantastically complicated machines.

The closest translation into US English is "Rube Goldberg".

Didn't he write "The Adventures of Uncle Lubin?" (My favorite
children's book.)
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old November 4th 04, 06:25 PM
Jack Painter

"Mike Spence" wrote
Is there a recognised way to connect a radio that just has a
telescopic aerial to a coax cable so that an external aerial can be
used?

Mike, a receiver that does not provide for external antenna connection, will
probably not benefit from forcing the input of one. The front end design of
many portables uses double-conversion only, this allows for reception of
fairly weak signals from the provided whip antenna. But it does not always
bode well when powerful inputs such as an external antenna can provide,
overloading the little portables and making it more difficult to discern
between stations close to each other. Recommend you use your portable for
what it was intended for, and look into adding a tabletop receiver if you
want to input external antenna feed.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Old November 5th 04, 06:03 PM
Mike Spence

"Jack Painter" wrote in message news:Zuuid.1$uT4.0@lakeread03...
Mike, a receiver that does not provide for external antenna connection, will
probably not benefit from forcing the input of one. The front end design of
many portables uses double-conversion only, this allows for reception of
fairly weak signals from the provided whip antenna. But it does not always
bode well when powerful inputs such as an external antenna can provide,
overloading the little portables and making it more difficult to discern
between stations close to each other. Recommend you use your portable for
what it was intended for, and look into adding a tabletop receiver if you
want to input external antenna feed.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Thanks for that Jack, I see your point. The receiver in question is a
Sony XDR-S1 DAB and I'm in a marginal reception area. Before I spent
out on DAB I tried one (not the Sony) and the reception was
reasonable, the Sony isn't as good though and I just thought that
maybe I could help it a bit with an external aerial.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike
Old November 9th 04, 02:08 PM
Terry

"Mike Spence" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rig up a random length insulated wire temporary antenna outside to a tree or
something. Bring the end to your receiver and wind it around the outside of
the radio case a few times and temporarily connect the free end to something
grounded such as the ground pin of a duplex outlet; be careful! This may
give you some capacitive and inductive coupling especially if your radio has
a ferrite rod antenna. It may, on some bands, give an improvement.
Experiment a bit. Have even wound the telephone cord around a portable. Also
connected capacitively from the whip of a DX394 to a plastic covered metal
clothes line and right now I've got a lead from the receiver whip clipped to
a six foot metal bedroom curtain rod! It even improved very weak reception
here from European Long Wave stations on 152 to 198 kilohertz. Yup that's
around a wavelength of 1500 metres! Also if you've got a phone with any
metal in it (most phones nowadays are plastic!) clip a lead from your whip
to that. Try anything that might work and is safe.
Have fun. Terry.