Old November 10th 04, 04:45 PM
Richard Harrison

Crazy George`s information on the Wullenweber is great. I have no
information on this monster but a pair of loops or Adcock directional
antennas can be mounted perpendicularly and their outputs can be
connected with a goniometer to provide the effect of rotating the
directional antenna while the array remains unmoved in place. Terman
shows how on page 1051 of his 1955 edition. Could our military be
extravagant with taxpayer money?

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old November 10th 04, 06:07 PM
Fractenna

Terman
shows how on page 1051 of his 1955 edition.

Not in 1947 edition:-(

73,
Chip N1IR
Old November 10th 04, 08:10 PM
Richard Harrison

Chip, N1IR wrote:
"Not in 1947 edition (sad face)."

Too bad. Authors neeed new additions to new editions so owners will
upgrade.

Terman`s topic "Goniometer" starts on page 1050 of his 1955 edition.
His illustration is Fig. 26-29: "Crossed loop antennas connected to
goniometer."

Each loop`s feedline is connected to a fixed goniometer coil and these
are crossed at right angles. A rotating pickup coil is mounted inside
the fixed coils and shares their axis. The output to the radio is taken
from the goniometer`s rotating coil. Terman writes:
"Thus the rotation of the goniometer secondary is equivalent
electrically to rotating the loop (or Adcock) antenna."

In 1960, the chief of our Argentine oil exploration and production
called me into his office on Tierra del Fuego to ask me if Dr.
Maldonado, our physician, and not Alec Eussler, our atomic physicist
(aka radio technician) should be ordering the goniometer.
Our chief, George Blackwell thought the goniometer was diagnostic
equipment for a social disease.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI