Old December 8th 04, 03:44 AM
Robert Lay W9DMK

Default SmartSmith1.6.2 Now Available as Free Download

Users who are already familiar with the program will be pleased with
the new features and refinements. Others who would like to learn about
transmission lines without the hyperbolic functions will find it to be
a great learning tool.

SmartSmith includes the first real improvement to the Smith Chart in
50 years - especially useful in the design of L-section matching
networks.

Download at my Web Site:
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk

For a higher speed server, try
http://64.217.230.66
Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
Old December 8th 04, 05:59 AM
Lee Hopper

Robert Lay W9DMK wrote:

Download at my Web Site:
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk

For a higher speed server, try
http://64.217.230.66

Bob & group -

I downloaded it and created a folder for it and unzipped it to that
folder. Then I ran setup.exe which got to this point:
"Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your
system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now."

I clicked on "OK"

Next setup gives me this message:
"Do you want to restart windows now? If you chose 'No' you will not be
able to run setup again until after the system is rebooted."

I choose "yes"

Setup message: "copying files. Please stand by.

and eventually:

"Processing MSVBVM60.DLL (7 or 7)

and the system reboots.

When I examine the folder containing the unzipped files, nothing has
changed. If I run setup again I get the exact same messages as above. It
seems I'm stuck in a loop.

I'm running Windows ME and my copy of MSVBVM60.DLL is in
c:\windows\system with a mod date of 2/23/04.

What am I doing wrong?

Lee H, NB7F
Not smart enough for SmartSmith...
Old December 8th 04, 06:11 PM
Robert Lay W9DMK

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:59:28 -0800, Lee Hopper
wrote:

Robert Lay W9DMK wrote:

[...]

Dear Lee,

I'm sorry to say that you aren't doing anything wrong. As was the case
with earlier versions, the Package and Deployment software provided by
Visual Studio 6.0 has a problem with Windows ME. I can't get it to
work here either on my ME systems. The problem does not occur with
Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows XP or Windows 2000.

I think I already created a workaround for the problem about a month
ago and will have to remember what it was. It is really not difficult,
but you do have to copy some system files into C:\Windows\System32\ in
order to get it installed. If anyone else is also having this problem,
please e-mail me privately and I will put you each on distribution for
a workaround kit.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
Old December 8th 04, 11:56 PM
Phil

Bob,

This is a good example of why I don't like (or use when possible)
installer programs/scripts. If it is not absolutely required, most
users would generally prefer a simple zipped executable, required
DLL's that are not common and a simple text description of how to
create a link to the executable for folks who don't know how to do
that.

I use Delphi for programming simple tasks and in my humble opinion,
the days of registry entries (to save disk space), INI files in
Win or win\system (because that was the default for many) and like
"conventions" are past. Hard drives are large enough not to have
space worries, and having all required files in one folder mean the
simplest of install / delete procedures.

Sheesh, glad I got that off my chest.

Returning this newsgroup to its normally scheduled programming...

73,

phil
Old December 9th 04, 01:43 AM
Robert Lay W9DMK

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:56:32 -0600, Phil
wrote:

[...]

Dear Phil,

Gee, Phil, you won't get any argument from me on that. In fact, were
it not for the fact that I enjoy coding in VB instead of VC++, I would
be doing this in VC++ and we would all be looking at teensy
executables and a 10X simpler installation package.

It was a gigantic surprise to me that Windows ME is so problematic.
However, to be honest, I think the problem really lies in the fact
that I do my development in W2000 Server. When I do my development in
W98 or WinME I never have these problems. (I also did not have these
problems when I was coding in the older VB3.0, which had yet a
different packaging wizard.

My biggest reason for not going the route that you suggest is that for
90 to 95% of the users, the packaging works without a hitch. And I can
live with those odds. Having to put together a set of instructions
telling people that this file goes into this folder and this file goes
into that folder, etc., can be just as counter-productive, because for
many people, file management is an anathema.

I'll work it all out eventually, even if I have to move my development
platform to one of the Win ME machines.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement,
73

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA