Old January 7th 05, 08:05 AM
Roger

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:10:23 GMT, Jim - NN7K
wrote:

Not to mention safty concerns- like those FCC rules for hams in the KW
class- minimum safty standards - and those at 100 FEET, not in front of
your face ! Also, those have rarely had great swr readings when
measured. Most likely a combonation of these concerns-- Jim NN7K

If you do the calcs you will find the exposure level for a 2-meter HT
held close to the head is probably an order or two magnatitudes higher
than you can get from standing 100 feet from an array running the
legal limit. The array would have far more than the allowable limit.

Now they say it's the exposure time, but most of the hams I see using
HTs make transmissions long enough for the HT to get down right hot.

OTOH you can stand within a few feet of a 180 meter dipole running the
legal limit and still be well within the safe limits.

I'm running a stacked pair of 12s on 144 MHz at 130 feet. The maximum
I can run into those antennas is 380 watts. That is measured at the
antennas.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Richard Clark wrote:

The reasons may be manifold, but I would figure issues of
loss would be found in the soft tissues of the antenna mast (a
hand/arm) or nearby obstructions (skull/torso).

The dual banders would undoubtedly contain components
that were designed to feed or present a Hi-Z antenna, and would thus
face a rather stiff voltage - hence the limits on power.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC