Old April 26th 21, 08:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default [ZS6BNE] RaDAR - The April 2021 challenge

ZS6BNE's Blog

RaDAR - The April 2021 challenge

https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2021/04...021-challenge/

Quite a bit of organising took place before this challenge. The idea was to
have a support system in the way of monitor stations distributed throughout
ZS on CW and SSB. The monitor stations were designated unique calling
frequencies on 40m.

The final list of monitor stations

The idea of monitor stations stemmed from a suggestion I made during the
recent QSO Today virtual expo so the concept for RaDAR Sport was
successfully tested within this RaDAR Challenge.

For quite a few days I used WSPR to estimate a suitable time of day for the
challenge and we decided on 14:00 to 18:00 local time (CAT). Not all
stations took part in this particular time frame which of course is still
quite acceptable within RaDAR. 40m can change within minutes I have found
but it was there for us that afternoon. Propagation conditions were quite
suitable.

Using Libre Office to draw propagation graphs from WSPR Data.

A log sent in by Christi ZS4CGR who was a SSB monitot station. Moving
stations could easily make contact with these station to make up their
required five QSOs so they could move to their next location. Ludwig ZS5CN
and Rudi ZS2M were also there on every call. Great to he Frank ZS6FN too.
CW certainly shined here in South Africa this day.

ZS4CGRs RaDAR Log

This was my log, my ADIF Data uploaded to qrz dot com. It was undoubtedly
the best RaDAR Challeng to date!

ZS6BNEs log uploaded to QRZ dot Com

I carried my Icom IC-7200 just so I was able to do SSB and push a little
more power than five Watts Just in case. I had a newly built dipole which
wasnt field tested yet and I paid dearly for that and had to do field
repairs on two occasions. I also carried two 7 A/Hr SLABS in parallel as a
D.C. power source.

On foot RaDAR ZS6BNE

ZS6BNEs last deployment Just before the sun set in the west.

Sid ZS5AYC and Adele ZS5APT, our regular SOTA activators and RaDAR
Challenge participants too part in the challenge again too.

Sid ZS5AYC

Anthony ZS6ARWs log