Old January 18th 05, 08:52 PM

Default Anyone here of a "SLim Jim" antenna?

I wonder how well these work and if anyone has used them?
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

Old January 18th 05, 11:35 PM
Richard Clark

On 18 Jan 2005 12:52:16 -0800, wrote:

I wonder how well these work and if anyone has used them?
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

For material taken from that site, the spelling is generally an
indicator of the quality of reporting:
... considerable gain and this is consentrated almost parallel to ground ...

with sentence structure providing an inverse relation (note, the
original was 43 words long).

More spelling indicators:
hense the name SLIM JIM.

And from the editor (sic):
Editor's note: ... What have you got to loose?

It is simply a J-Pole, with what the medicos would call "a redundant
prepuce."
Old January 19th 05, 07:30 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Richard Clark wrote:
On 18 Jan 2005 12:52:16 -0800, wrote:

I wonder how well these work and if anyone has used them?
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

For material taken from that site, the spelling is generally an
indicator of the quality of reporting:
... considerable gain and this is consentrated almost parallel to ground ...

Leaving aside the spelling, the real nonsense is "considerable gain". It
looks very like a J-pole, and has a very similar radiation pattern and
gain.

It is simply a J-Pole, with what the medicos would call "a redundant
prepuce."

:-)

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old January 19th 05, 11:41 AM
Airy R.Bean

ISTR designed by G2BCX and published in one of the
Britland "Camm's Comics" about 25 years ago.

ups.com...

Old January 19th 05, 01:26 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:
On 18 Jan 2005 12:52:16 -0800, wrote:

I wonder how well these work and if anyone has used them?
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

For material taken from that site, the spelling is generally an
indicator of the quality of reporting:
... considerable gain and this is consentrated almost parallel to

ground ...

Leaving aside the spelling, the real nonsense is "considerable gain".

It
looks very like a J-pole, and has a very similar radiation pattern

and
gain.

It is simply a J-Pole, with what the medicos would call "a redundant
prepuce."

:-)

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

So it is basically a j pole? I guess it would perform like one? I am
going back and forth and cant decide what to do for two meters. It
looked like a fun project. I j=have some 1/2 inch conduit and thought
about welding it togther like that just to see how it worked. And
installing some stainless steel bolts in the ends to "tune" it.

The problem is figuring out how to mount it. It says it has to be
insulated and at least 20 inches away from metal.

Old January 19th 05, 02:19 PM
Airy R.Bean

I'd suggest one to be moving-coil and the other to be digital.

oups.com...

Old January 19th 05, 03:30 PM
Wes Stewart

On 19 Jan 2005 05:26:40 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

|So it is basically a j pole? I guess it would perform like one? I am
|going back and forth and cant decide what to do for two meters.

Using the same site as a source:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

Build this and be done with it. All this stuff about "gain" in a
monopole is so much BS.

Old January 19th 05, 04:36 PM
Dan Richardson

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:30:25 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:
[snip]
Using the same site as a source:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

Build this and be done with it. All this stuff about "gain" in a
monopole is so much BS.

Wes, you mean to tell me that you can't hear a whole whopping dB (or
less) difference? G

Danny, K6MHE

Old January 19th 05, 06:54 PM

Wes Stewart wrote:
On 19 Jan 2005 05:26:40 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

|So it is basically a j pole? I guess it would perform like one? I am
|going back and forth and cant decide what to do for two meters.

Using the same site as a source:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

Build this and be done with it. All this stuff about "gain" in a
monopole is so much BS.

How would you get it to stand up to winds outside on a roof?

Old January 19th 05, 08:09 PM
harrogate2

Have a look at

http://www.johncath.force9.co.uk/omni%202mtr.htm

I have a so-called 'professional' Slim Jim obtained (I think) from
Sandpiper about 14 years ago and still going string. Although for 2m
primarily it is supposed to work from about 130-174MHz.

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com