Old September 13th 03, 04:05 PM
Dealmeister

Default Noise and UTE Dxing question

Two questions:

1. I like to surf the web while Dxing; my computer creates a lot of noise.
Too DX and surf, obviously the radio and PC need to be in relatively close
proximity. Anythoughts on how I can cut down the noise?

2. Can anyone recommend a good decoder? Years ago I used the AEA PK-232.
These days I'd like to buy a decoder that covers as much of the used formats
as possible. Key for me will be simplicity though. I don't want something
with a manual or operation that's so technical it won't be fun. I want
something that is as "plug and play" as possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Old September 13th 03, 05:09 PM
Caveat Lector

"Dealmeister" wrote in message
m...
Two questions:

1. I like to surf the web while Dxing; my computer creates a lot of

noise.
Too DX and surf, obviously the radio and PC need to be in relatively close
proximity. Anythoughts on how I can cut down the noise?

I solved the problem by using a Toshiba Laptop.
Laptops by design can be well shielded and some like the Toshiba are.
And laptops have an LCD screen eliminating the CRT noise problem, otherwise
see

Computer noise abatement at URL;
http://ac6v.com/comprfi.htm

2. Can anyone recommend a good decoder? Years ago I used the AEA PK-232.
These days I'd like to buy a decoder that covers as much of the used

formats
as possible. Key for me will be simplicity though. I don't want something
with a manual or operation that's so technical it won't be fun. I want
something that is as "plug and play" as possible.

Your computer can decode digital signals -- for software see URL:
MixW Software
http://www.nvbb.net/~jaffejim/mixwpage.htm
Does:
SSB
CW
AM
BPSK/BPSK63
QPSK
FSK31
RTTY any speed any shift
Packet (VHF) & (UHF)
Pactor RX
AMTOR RX & FEC TX
MFSK/Graphics Color/BW
Throb
MT63
Hellschreiber
FAX
SSTV
Others at URL:
http://ac6v.com/software.htm#DIGITAL

Old September 13th 03, 06:20 PM
CW

External antenna with coax feed. My radios are within three fee of the
computer with no problem.

Old September 13th 03, 07:04 PM
Ralph Mowery

2. Can anyone recommend a good decoder? Years ago I used the AEA PK-232.
These days I'd like to buy a decoder that covers as much of the used

formats
as possible. Key for me will be simplicity though. I don't want something
with a manual or operation that's so technical it won't be fun. I want
something that is as "plug and play" as possible.

You can find the free sound card programs here.

http://www.muenster.de/~welp/sb.htm

Old September 13th 03, 10:32 PM
Ken Fowler

On 13-Sep-2003, "Dealmeister" wrote:

1. I like to surf the web while Dxing; my computer creates a lot of noise.
Too DX and surf, obviously the radio and PC need to be in relatively close
proximity. Anythoughts on how I can cut down the noise?

One cause of computer noise is that PC case manufacturers economize by using swithcing power
supplies which have the RFI filtering components intentionally left out. Usually there is a place
on the power supply circuit board for a power line choke and bypass capacitors. They leave the
capacitors out and jumper the choke connections. I would try to find a better case with a quiet
power supply and good bonding of the metal to metal surfaces of the case. These usually cost more.
In my case, when I installed a choke and capacitors inside the PS, the RFI noise dropped about 30 db
on the broadcast band and about 7 S-units on 40 meters.
KO6NO