Old September 17th 03, 12:13 PM
Sverre Holm

Default MFJ monoband mobile

Does anyone have any experience with the MFJ monoband mobile HamTenna Whip,
like the 20 m version on
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...did=MFJ-1620T?
It is a 2.1 m antenna that comes in monoband versions for all bands from 75
m to 6 m at only $19.95 per antenna.

I wonder how it performs, how easy it is to mount on the trunk of a sedan,
and how easy it is to change bands - i.e. changing antennas.

Sverre
www.qsl.net/la3za

Old September 17th 03, 12:25 PM
Cecil Moore

Sverre Holm wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the MFJ monoband mobile HamTenna Whip,
like the 20 m version on
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...did=MFJ-1620T?
It is a 2.1 m antenna that comes in monoband versions for all bands from 75
m to 6 m at only $19.95 per antenna.
I wonder how it performs, how easy it is to mount on the trunk of a sedan,
and how easy it is to change bands - i.e. changing antennas.

It is base loaded which is a disadvantage but it has a relatively high-Q
coil which is an advantage so it's performance should be similar to a
hamstick. Changing antennas should be similar to a hamstick. Like hamsticks,
reasonable performance is probably limited to 14 MHz and above.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 17th 03, 07:33 PM
'Doc

Bill,
If you get a wild burning desire to try an 80 meter
Hamstick, because you haven't before, let me save you
the purchase and shipping price. They do work, but not
very well at all. Neither will the other brands of the
same type, including MFJ's. Almost any other type of
antenna will do as ~least~ as good and in most cases,
better.
The 160 meter version of a Hamstick type antenna is
one of the cheapest, long, thin dummy loads I've ever
seen. No fluids to find and buy, fairly unobtrusive,
and certainly different. And it can be painted in many
different colors to match your vehicle!
Although I haven't seen one specifically for 60 meters,
and considering the power requirements for those frequencies,
you could probably run legal limit with no problems at all.
'Doc
Old September 26th 03, 06:17 PM
Sverre Holm

Thanks for input. I didn't realize that it was base loaded from the info
given so that was helpful to know.
I guess a center loaded antenna like e.g. the Outbacker will give better
performance at the lowest frequencies.

Sverre
www.qsl.net/la3za

Old September 26th 03, 06:47 PM
Cecil Moore

Sverre Holm wrote:
Thanks for input. I didn't realize that it was base loaded from the info
given so that was helpful to know.
I guess a center loaded antenna like e.g. the Outbacker will give better
performance at the lowest frequencies.

The Outbacker is barely better than a Hamstick. The MFJ may
actually be better than the Outbacker. To get the full benefit
of a center-loaded antenna, please consider a screwdriver
or bugcatcher.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP