Old January 21st 05, 12:11 PM

Default Why a capacitor for a shunt fed antenna (Mobile)

What is the reason a capacitor is added to a shunt fed antenna. Most
importantly why don't we just use an antenna tuner? Is there really a
big difference...Thank you
Mike

REF: Hamstick 10,20,40 meter

Old January 21st 05, 12:49 PM
Airy R.Bean

Capacitors are added to match the feeder to the antenna.

What you describe as an, "antenna tuner" actually matches the
TX to the feeder.

(Slightly more than that, in reality, because what is on the feeder
at the TX end depends on what is connected to the feeder at the
antenna end. However, one thing that the device know traditionally
as the antenna tuner doesn't do, is to tune the antenna!)

ups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 03:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Airy R.Bean wrote:
However, one thing that the device know traditionally
as the antenna tuner doesn't do, is to tune the antenna!)

However, an antenna tuner at the source makes the
transmission line into a tuned feeder. It tunes the
antenna *system* to achieve a Z0-match that re-directs
all the reflected energy back toward the antenna.

Given a 1/2WL resonant dipole, 1/2WL of ladder-line
is a tuned feeder. 3/8WL of ladder-line plus 1/4WL
provided by the antenna tuner results in a tuned
feeder system.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 21st 05, 04:04 PM
Airy R.Bean

Except in the case where the feed point impedance of the
antenna is resistive and an exact match (rare, possibly
unlikely!) to the surge impedance of the feeder.

ie, for the concept of a tuned feeder, there has to be a
standing wave on it.

Old January 21st 05, 04:42 PM
Richard Harrison

Michael Mannung wrote:
"What is the reason a capacitor is added to a shunt fed antenna?"

Shunt feeding a radiatir has advantages. It eliminates the base
insulator. Shunt feed acts as a dingle-turn loop. Field of the loop
magnetically induces voltage into the radiator. Attachment point on the
radiator is picked to nearly match the resistive part of the radiator
impedance to the Zo of the transmission line at the connection point.
There is always an inductive reactance at this point which can be tuned
out by using a variable capacitor connected in series with the shunt
feed connection.

The capacitor is simple to adjust, cheap, and nearly lossless as
compared with a coil.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 21st 05, 10:28 PM
Wes Stewart

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:04:06 -0000, "Airy R.Bean"
wrote:

|Except in the case where the feed point impedance of the
|antenna is resistive and an exact match (rare, possibly
|unlikely!) to the surge impedance of the feeder.

Mutually exclusive.

Old January 23rd 05, 07:06 AM
Reg Edwards

What you describe as an, "antenna tuner" actually matches the
TX to the feeder.

===============================

A misleading statement.

The TX design impedance is fixed, usually at 50 ohms.

So the antenna tuner matches the variable feeder input impedance to the TX
design impedance.

But no doubt you will manage to squirm your way out of it. ;o)
----
Reg

Old January 23rd 05, 07:47 AM
Reg Edwards

Airy, you'll be telling us next the SWR meter reads the SWR on the
eedline - whereas it does nothing of the kind.

The confusingly, so-called SWR meter is merely a useful TLI. which Indicates
whether or not the Transmitter is correctly Loaded with its design
resistance. Usually but not necessarily 50 ohms.

It is realised this means re-editing all the handbooks which have appeared
during the last 50 years or so.
----
Reg.

Old January 24th 05, 11:40 AM
Airy R.Bean

"variable feeder input impedance" = feeder

"TX design impedance" = TX

Why would I wish to "squirm my way" out of an
obvious agreement?

Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM