Old January 21st 05, 02:33 PM

Default Alternate material j pole construction question.

I am experimenting making a j pole out of 1/2 inch conduit. What I am
thinking of doing is making it like a "u" in that each piece, the
radiator, stub and shorting bar are cut at 45 degree angles and welded
togther. I have the dimensions using the 1/2 inch copper. How do i
measure each pieces "length"? I mean in the copper plan they use t
fittings and measure the radiator length starting incide the t fitting
where it is lower than the shorting bar.

My ides was to just measure the end of the angled piece where I cut it
to the top, but not sure if this is right. What do you think?

Also, since an antenna constructed this way will not have an "extended
leg" to mount to a mast, would it be acceptable to mount the shorted
horizontal section to the mast? Will this cause problems?
Any help is appreciated. I hope to work on this tomorrow.

Old January 21st 05, 07:18 PM
Richard Harrison

Stryped wrote:
"I am making a J-pole out of 1/2 inch conduit."

There ia a 144 MHz Super-J in the "ARRL Antenna Book". It`s on page
16-24 of my 19th edition. Individual piece drawings and measurements
are presented for novice builders.

The "Antenna Book" Maritime Antenna is "Super" because it is a collinear
using (2) 1/2-wave sections, in phase, and end to end. For a simple
J-pole, eliminate one 1/2-wave section and the 1/4-wave phase-inverting
stub.

Stainless steel is used fotr the "Super J-pole", but rustable steel can
be used if deesired.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 21st 05, 08:11 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
I do have my license. Why do you think I dont?
It is KG4GER if you dont believe me.

Hey Don, with a QRZ.com birth date of "01 Nov 0001",
you must have known Jesus. :-)

Why don't you start with the Arrow Antenna design?
It's actually a Zepp design where the driven element
is 1/4WL and the parallel "grounded" element is 3/4WL.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups

I actually plan to, but will have to order aluminum to do it. I plan on
making both and comparing them.

Old January 21st 05, 08:11 PM

Ok.

Don