Old October 18th 03, 01:51 AM
PDQ

In article , Carl R. Stevenson
wrote:

Hi Carl,

I made a trip to the Cape Giradeu MO test area. This ws a very limited
test area encompassing maybe 10 - 15 homes judging from the inductors I
saw on the utility poles. I found that BPL seems to operate in an
"idle" mode and a active demand mode.

When in the idle mode the intereference from the upper BC band through
20 meters is quite noticable and was registering S7 - S9 on the meter
of my IC-737 connected to a Hustler antenna with 40 and 20 meter
resonators attached. It was also audible from about 1520 and up on the
BC band.

When in active mode, (probably when someone was downloading something)
the S meter readings went to 30+ over S9 and the top of the broadcast
band was seriously hacked up. I also detected effects at the bottem of
the FM broadcast band. The highest reading I saw was on the 20 meter
band. When in the active mode, I could detect serious levels of BPL
interference at 500 feet growing weaker out to about 1,000 feet when
it dropped below my traditional mobile noise level.

After hearing it and seeing it's potential for devestating interference,
I am of the opinion that it will be a serious problem for anyone using
the spectrum between 1.6 and 88 MHZ. In addition, I am willing to bet
that the radiation will be rich in harmonics.

73
George
K3UD

EX- WA3DNC, W3GEO

"W1RFI" wrote in message
Write or call your local AM broadcast stations and tell them that
thier signal is being wiped out and you can't recieve them.

When I was in Emmaus, PA, I turned on the car AM radio and didn't hear any
noise on the AM broadcast band. I believe that some of the reports may

have
been in error.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI

I can confirm what Ed reports above ... on my first drive through the Emmaus
BPL area, I didn't have my FT-817 with me ... I noted little/no BPL noise
in the AM broadcast band ... perhaps a bit of extra noise at the very upper
end of the band around 1600 kHz, but nothing like what exists on 80-15m.

Again, I want to help Ed drive the point home - false claims of "BPL
interference"
will do a LOT of harm to our cause ... I encourage anyone who thinks they
might
be experiencing BPL interference to communicate with Ed and let him help to
verify
things.

I also encourage everyone to send a donation to the ARRL's BPL fund - you
don't have to agree with *everything* the ARRL does to be willing to help
to overcome this major threat to our future on HF.

Carl - wk3c

Old October 18th 03, 06:38 AM
Dave VanHorn

"PDQ" wrote in message
In article , Carl R. Stevenson
wrote:

Hi Carl,

I made a trip to the Cape Giradeu MO test area. This ws a very limited
test area encompassing maybe 10 - 15 homes judging from the inductors I
saw on the utility poles. I found that BPL seems to operate in an
"idle" mode and a active demand mode.

You might want to contact this fellow.

http://iamnee.com/

I don't remember if he's a ham, I worked with him on a project there a
couple years ago. He does have nice spectrum analysis tools, and he lives
there in Cape G.

Old October 18th 03, 02:35 PM
Tom Wagner

Most of this discussion on BPL focuses on the impact of
BPL on HF reception. What would 1500w of continuous RTTY
do to the users of BPL? How would a BPL modem, which is
necessarily wideband cope with gross overload?

Tom - N1MM
Check out the N1MM Free Contest Logger at:
http://www.n1mm.com

Old October 18th 03, 09:32 PM
W1RFI

I probably missed it, but will ask anyway, is there
a list of the areas that are being tested? Anything in the Northern
IL or Southern WI areas?

Nothing in those areas, at least not for now. I have most of the locations
pinned down, but I have not posted them on a "public" URL. A few of the
utilities and one of the BPL manufacturers (Ambient) is being very cooperative.
One of the promises I made is that ARRL will help them determine the
interference potential of BPL systems, but that we will do it in a way that is
minimally disruptive to them. Having hordes of hams showing up in these areas
would probably not be a good idea, especially seeing as it would only take one
of the ones who offered to use the couplers for target practice to undermine
months of building good will.

If you are willing to do a more quiet foray into the test areas, email me and
let me know and I can provide some info, although it will be a good drive for
you.

I have posted the cities involved, and can repeat the list if it is needed.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI

Old October 18th 03, 09:45 PM
Dave VanHorn

Having hordes of hams showing up in these areas
would probably not be a good idea, especially seeing as it would only take

one
of the ones who offered to use the couplers for target practice to

undermine
months of building good will.

Defnintely not fair play!

If you are willing to do a more quiet foray into the test areas, email me

and
let me know and I can provide some info, although it will be a good drive

for
you.

I have posted the cities involved, and can repeat the list if it is

needed.

I can do a quiet sniff within any reasonable distance of east central
indiana.

BTW: I was wondering exactly how you calibrate your system for field
strength values.