RadioBanter

-   -   102" mobile antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/594-102%22-mobile-antenna.html)

Dave VanHorn October 14th 03 11:10 PM

"KeyBoard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Words of possible wisdom at URL:
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/antennab.htm

Discusses merits of SS vs Fiberglass flexing and also which is the better
radiator.

Watch which he's talking about.

You can get a straight steel whip.
You can get s straight fiberglass whip.
You can also get a short fiberglass whip.

The short versions are compromises, to the degree that they are shorter.
A 2' antenna is not as good a radiator as a 3' antenna, all other things
being equal.
Usually, you end up mounting where some portion of the antenna is shadowed
by the vehicle, unless you do a roof mount. In this case, a shortened
antenna suffers even more.

There won't be much difference between fiberglass with a copper wire, and
stainless steel.
The copper is more conductive, but it's thinner. Steel is more resistive,
but larger diameter.
Me, I'd take the steel. Fiberglass breaks, steel bends.

Bill Standard October 15th 03 06:00 AM

Question......
Why is it that some people say you need to add a 6" spring to a 102" whip in
order to match it? Could someone explain this?

If you do the math (234 / Freq. in MHz = 1/4 wave) it ends up being 103.29"
@ 27.185 MHz (CH 19 mid band) which if you add the mount, say a 1" stud plus
the insulators, it comes out pretty close to 103.29" not counting the inch
or so of exposed coax at the connection. I've never been able to add a
spring (rat shacks were shorter than 6") without having to cut about the
same amount off the whip in order to keep the SWR reasonable.
Thanks,
Bill

Dave Shrader October 15th 03 03:39 PM

Eric, We were serious in our questions regarding what do you want to
know about the 102 inch whip.

Many of us are amateur radio operators who use the 102 inch whip in a
variety of modes and on many frequencies different from the CB Band.

The 102 inch whip in your application will provide very good antenna.
However, your ground wave will be somewhere around 10 to 15 miles. The
antenna will not improve the ground wave. You may encounter some 'skip'
conditions but these are not reliable for communications.

Eric wrote:
The message is titled 102" mobile antenna. It should ring a bell about being
a MOBILE. That should ring another bell that makes you think it's for a
vehicle.
Suggestions were expected from people who have had experience with these, or
can say something about these type of antenna.

Is it that hard to understand?

But ok, I'll explain a little further.
I'm installing a cb radio in my jeep, and I will be in very remote areas,
therefore I considered the full quarter length whip.

Any suggestions on what antenna to get?

Thank you,

Eric

"CW" wrote in message

Yes, they exist. How's that?

"Eric" wrote in message

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Dave VanHorn October 15th 03 11:50 PM

"Bill Standard" wrote in message
Question......
Why is it that some people say you need to add a 6" spring to a 102" whip

in
order to match it? Could someone explain this?

I guess it varies according to the mount and vehicle.
In my case, the whip, without spring, was just about perfect at 28.400,
which is exactly where I wanted it to be.

Dave VanHorn October 15th 03 11:58 PM

"W7TI" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:10:59 GMT, "Eric" wrote:

Is it that hard to understand?

But ok, I'll explain a little further.
I'm installing a cb radio in my jeep,

Well, how hard is this to understand: This is an AMATEUR RADIO
NEWSGROUP.

And here, you might find a few helpful hams that will help you separate the
reality of antennas from the marketing BS hanging on the wall in most truck
stops.

And, unfortunately, a few intolerant folks like that one. . :-P

The CB band is just down the road from our 10 meter band, so we have a lot
of things in common. The length of the antenna is only a few inches shorter
for 10 meters, so many hams use CB antennas modified into the ham band. In
fact, many hams use CB rigs converted to the ham band. It's even possible
that a few hams actually use those "ham" rigs you see at truck stops!

I run two VHF rigs, a VHF/UHF, and a CB in my car, when I'm running "light".
:)

It's hard to beat a CB for road info, on long trips.
I've yet to get any useful realtime road info on the ham bands.

One of my VHF rigs is position telemetry and messaging through the ham APRS
systems.
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kc6ete-9 This is where my car is,
right now.
My wife uses this web page to check on my progress when I'm off on long
trips, and other hams chat and send email.

Herbert Khaury October 16th 03 12:43 AM

Yes, maybe.

David G. Nagel October 16th 03 03:40 AM

Eric;

I wish to endorse the comments below.
For years, until 1958, 11 meters was a ham band. The FCC in response to
requests for a cheap and easy to use radio communications service
created the "Class D General Radio Service" and removed 11 meters from
amateur service. At the time many (most?) amateur radio operators were,
to put it mildly, *issed. Some still have to get over it. However a very
large percentage of present hams either started as or are also CBers.
Ignore any and all negative comments about CBers. While some comments
are justified understand that not all hams are pure as the driven snow
either. CB radio does have a valuable place in the scheme of things.
One of the benefits of amateur radio is the knowledge one gains along
the way to acquiring a license. As my flight instructor told me when I
passed my pilot's test. A license is just the start of your education.
I hope that you haven't taken any offense to the casual comments about
your initial request for help. Your question was rather vague. The
information that was given is good and should get you started along the way.
Having said all that I have I encourage you to look into the wonderful
world of amateur radio and acquire an amateur radio license. With the
probable demise of the code test gaining a license has never been
easier. No matter your interest, you will find something in radio
electronics that will interest you and give you a lifetime of activity.
Dave WD9BDZ