Old July 15th 03, 07:38 AM
capo

Default 40 m inverted vee question?????

My 40 m reson. iv used to be completely horizontal at 30 ft.

I had to bend one end (while leaving the other horizontal) at
about a 45 deg angle to about 10 ft above the ground.

The SWR seems to be higher. 1.5:1 at its lowest. I can't remember
what it was before but I know it wasn't this high.

Will this cause an efficiency problem or any other?????

Old July 15th 03, 06:46 PM
John Passaneau

Hi Capo:

The Z of an antenna changes with its height above ground. It is not a liner
function but follows a curve. There is a chart in all antenna handbooks
showing the change with height above ground. Anyway you lowered the average
height of your antenna so you changed the Z of the antenna. Lowering the
antenna will change the shape of the radiation pattern. It will not change
the efficiency of the antenna, if you put a 100 watts in it will radiate 100
watts.

--
John Passaneau
Penn State University, State College Pa.

Old July 18th 03, 02:23 AM
KC1DI

capo wrote:

My 40 m reson. iv used to be completely horizontal at 30 ft.

I had to bend one end (while leaving the other horizontal) at
about a 45 deg angle to about 10 ft above the ground.

The SWR seems to be higher. 1.5:1 at its lowest. I can't remember
what it was before but I know it wasn't this high.

Will this cause an efficiency problem or any other?????

you have lowered the resonance of the system.. you will need to shorten the
antenna a bit to bring the swr down.. though 1:5:1 is not that bad.
73 dave kc1di

--
RED HAT LINUX 8.0

Old July 19th 03, 04:42 AM
William F. Hagen

you have lowered the impedance of the antenna, not the resonance, and thus have
a mismatch at the junction of the antenna and the feedline, which causes the
swr. You can add a balun, change the impedance of the feedline, or transform it
at the transmitter either with an additional piece of coax, or with a tuner.

TA-33 Beam question GS Antenna 3 July 26th 03 04:09 PM
Inverted "V" with angle=60 Reg Edwards Antenna 0 July 13th 03 10:56 PM
Inverted "V" with angle=60° Reg Edwards Antenna 2 July 13th 03 09:42 PM
Beam question - roof mounted?? GS Antenna 3 July 12th 03 07:53 AM
Telrex antenna question Crazy George Antenna 0 July 10th 03 02:16 AM