Old October 19th 03, 04:27 PM
KB1IBE

Default 40m QRP antenna - best choise?

Hello folks,
I am experimenting with QRP-level antennas and wondered what the
best-simplest-cheapest might be. Any suggestions? (so far, I have a 40m
dipole up)

Thnx in Advance!
73's Dave
WN1QIN / KB1IBE

Old October 19th 03, 08:32 PM
Hoss

Unless it is not working for you, the best-cheapest-simplest antenna is the
one that you have. It's is already paid for and installed!

Harold
WD5KCA

Old October 20th 03, 01:32 AM
Brian Kelly

"KB1IBE" wrote in message ...
Hello folks,
I am experimenting with QRP-level antennas and wondered what the
best-simplest-cheapest might be. Any suggestions? (so far, I have a 40m
dipole up)

You already have the best-simplest-cheapest QRP antenna.

Thnx in Advance!
73's Dave
WN1QIN / KB1IBE

w3rv
Old October 20th 03, 09:17 AM
W8EJO

For 40 meters local (out to 300 miles during the day & 800 - 1000 @
night) the 40 meter dipole @ 20' up is a winner. For 40 meters DX, try
the extended double zepp
(http://www.sadona.com/news2/ant_dblzepp.html) up @ 60 feet (at
least). If you own a tuner & want to work portable, try the MINIBAC
(http://www.qsl.net/kq6xa/antenna/), very cheap & very versatile.

Many other ideas @

http://www.cebik.com/radio.html

Old October 20th 03, 11:04 AM
Bill

I use 1/2 Wave 40m dipole in my attic...it's no DX magnet but I have earned
WAS every year since 1999 by using it and my QRP rigs. I think in 4 years
my DXCC count is now up to 41 countries.

I use a Ten Tec antenna tuner or the built in tuner in my K1 and I can get
it to match this dipole on 15, 20, 30, and 40m...with 40m and 30m seeming to
work the best.

news

Old October 20th 03, 02:02 PM
'Doc

I'm not sure why people think a dipole, even a fairly low
one, isn't 'good' for DX. You may have to pick your times,
and those times won't always be convenient, but working DX
is certainly not impossible, or even very eceptional.
'Doc
Old October 21st 03, 01:26 AM
KB1IBE

Thnx for responding!
I wanted some insight into other types of low-cost antennas and your
personal experiences with them. I have used folded dipoles made of 300ohm
ribbon with 300ohm feedline and tuner as an effective antenna on 40m and
found it to be reasonable cost.
My present antenna is a cross between a dipole, inverted V and V beam, but
results.
I really want to lose the tuner altogether and just load up into a nice
1:1 match !

Regards,
ex WN1QIN / KB1IBE

Old October 21st 03, 07:45 AM
Mark Keith

"KB1IBE" wrote in message ...

I really want to lose the tuner altogether and just load up into a nice
1:1 match !

Bingo! You've just passed GO, and are ready to have an efficient
antenna system. Lose all the unneeded devices. Feed a 40m dipole with
coax, and tune the antenna to give you a good match. Shouldn't have to
adjust much. Feeding a full wave loop with coax is also a good choice.
Either is very efficient. Even a 1.25 WL dipole would be efficient,
just a different pattern... I usually just use dipoles. Less supports,
work, and just as good for practical purposes on that band. You don't
want to waste power in tuner losses when you run QRP. The losses of
any decent coax on 40m are very low. MK
Old October 21st 03, 03:47 PM
Cecil Moore

Mark Keith wrote:
Feed a 40m dipole with
coax, and tune the antenna to give you a good match.

Or feed a 40m dipole with 1/2WL of open-wire line and radiate even more
power. Then adjust the length of the feedline and also work 30m-10m with
no tuner. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
50 Ohms "Real Resistive" impedance a Misnomer? Dr. Slick Antenna 255 July 29th 03 11:24 PM