Old January 27th 05, 12:46 AM
ml

Default roof joy-dipole help -RFI(req for info)

hi

I need some help on a few things, but please excuse my poor writing
style it's a problem ...

After a 15yr petition my coop board has agreed to let me put up a dipole
on the roof. wow cant wait to get really back on the bands

naturally it's contingent on not creating any interference, and being
'low profile' and finally not damaging the roof....

the part that concerns me a bit is interference...

my roof has a elevator house structure in the middle, on that is a
building master antenna. looks like 20 or 30ft high

I won't be allowed to put up any poles etc, all i can do is run wire
between existing stuff, there are plenty of vent pipes and such so i
believe i could stretch it ok and support it fine

but it will be lower then the tv antenna. how bad is this?

my roof concern would be how to design a dipole coax fed, to minimize
the chance's of interference, i guess thats the best i could do

the other concern i had was i must run the coax down thru the electrical
room on each floor

14story building i am on 4thfl

their are 2 exsiting core boars i might be able to squeeze some coax
into one has the rg59? u tv coax the other the direct tv coax i think
also 59u

my thoughts on that are my first goal is which if any would possibly
cause interference from my coax to tv?? i am guessing the sat coax
would be less bothered by my rig????

however am i correct in assuming that the sat cable would be most rfi
causing to me?? how would i fix this a cavity or filter???

i guess my run might be as long as 200ft or 150ft-- what would be the
'best' coax to use aka that would give off least interference and have
low loss, the hole isn't going to fit anything like bigger than 8u
diameter - don't know if i can afford hard line or if that would make
sence given the difficulty of working w/it and $$conectors

if i can't squeeze a 2nd coax i'd still like to hide a small 2m/440 mag
mount perhaps fed via a small duplexer the one's i've seen for 'car'
use arent waterproof anyone know of any that are outdoor safe??

What would be the best type of dipole to use , goal being least likely
to cause tvi

i'll have to run coax to the roof , how should my dipole to coax
transistion be made?? a balun of some sort? if so which?

should i have a bit of dipole to ladderline or a few coax loops??

trying to figure what would be the best ballance of

least tvi offenceive , and designed properly/efficiency

my goal is to make it for at least 160-10 (dare i try 6m?)

i'd prob try for a horizontal run, but might have to do a inv V

Any help tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated guess this is all
simple stuff but i wont have easy access to the roof, so i'd like
flesh out the basic desin prior to work

i am guessing that my 2nd biggest point of interf might be aside from
the master tv antenna itself, is the dist amp, havn't seen it but almost
positive it's the cheepest one out, anyone know of a good source for
those ie brand that is super filtered/shielded so i won't overload it
perhaps if i pay out of pocket for a beter unit anyone can suggest such
a brand/make/model?? (presuming i cause int i'd test first)

thanks to all
Old January 27th 05, 02:26 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:46:17 GMT, ml wrote:

After a 15yr petition my coop board has agreed to let me put up a dipole
on the roof. wow cant wait to get really back on the bands

Kewel.

naturally it's contingent on not creating any interference, and being
'low profile' and finally not damaging the roof....

That would be the inverted V you mention much later.

the part that concerns me a bit is interference...

Use big coax. Put a BalUn/Choke at the end.

but it will be lower then the tv antenna. how bad is this?

answered by:

14story building i am on 4thfl

Sweet. Could you move upstairs?

i'll have to run coax to the roof , how should my dipole to coax
transistion be made?? a balun of some sort? if so which?

Bingo - Current BalUn (or simply an air wound one).

my goal is to make it for at least 160-10 (dare i try 6m?)

Try to confine yourself to what is reasonable.

i am guessing that my 2nd biggest point of interf might be aside from
the master tv antenna itself, is the dist amp, havn't seen it but almost
positive it's the cheepest one out, anyone know of a good source for
those ie brand that is super filtered/shielded so i won't overload it
perhaps if i pay out of pocket for a beter unit anyone can suggest such
a brand/make/model?? (presuming i cause int i'd test first)

Run your rig at 1/2 to 2/3rds power so as to not force circuits into
maximal distortion simply to obtain gain.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 27th 05, 02:41 AM
Jack Painter

Recommendation is to accept that some things just aren't meant to be. What
did you do to the Coop board to change their minds after 15 years, drug
them?

People who live on the 4th Fl of a condo don't take up some hobbies like
diesel engine repair, boat building, or wiring a roof top dipole down 10
stories to their flat. You pretty well laid out all the impossibilities
yourself, what's left for this group to offer, sympathy? You could always
take your rig out to field days.

Jack