Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 4th 03, 02:58 AM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:55:33 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

|Wes Stewart wrote:
| You are comparing a mess of wire with a ideal lumped inductor. Apples
| and oranges.
|
|Not my fault. Why does EZNEC treat these two inductances so differently?

Uh... maybe because they're different?

| If you really want to model this stuff accurately take a few hundred
| $K out of your next retirement check and buy a high frequency
| structure simulator.
|
|No thanks, Wes. I can live without that. But let me ask you a question.
|If there is a one degree delay through one foot of copper wire, how
|can there be a zero delay through 20 feet of wire coiled into a one
|foot coil? Given the pressure on the electrons, one would expect
|20 times the delay through the coil as through the one foot wire.

When I was working my way to engineering I was a senior associate
engineer working with a PhD who had tired of the politics in the
university environment, given up his tenure, and come to work for
Hughes. We were putting together a bench top setup to evaluate
something or the other in the mixers from the early version of the
Phoenix missile. The front end of this thing, from the waveguide slot
planar antenna back the the mixer inputs, was all waveguide.

Whatever we were doing required the use of a "magic" T. I, the ever
inquisitive student, asked; "Doc, how does a magic T work?"

Doc, former professor and the author of "Intermediate Mathematics of
Electromagnetics", replied,

"It's magic."

Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
Eznec modeling loading coils? Roy Lewallen Antenna 11 August 18th 03 02:40 AM