Old March 30th 05, 04:59 PM
Win

Default Tower Info (Still Looking)

I recently purchased an old crank-up motor driven 60 foot tower that I
would hope someone could id for me. The motor belt drives a gearbox,
which turns the cable pulley. It has a approximately 1 foot by 18
inch control box which has two high current relays and two glass
contained relays. The glass-contained relays are in old 8 pin tube
sockets.

The tower, itself, is in good shape. I would like to re-build the
control circuits and out the tower in service. Any information anyone
can give me on this tower will be greatly appreciated. See at
www.winlyn.us/tower.jpg.

Win, w0lz

Old March 30th 05, 06:57 PM
John Smith

If the relays need replacing, you might consider replacing them with "solid
state relays." A led optoisolator triggers a triac device to control power
to the load, I have used them in the construction of 13.8V linears with
excellent results, suspect they would work well for this application too.
They are commonly available for ?-100 amps @ 220V, a search of the web
should provide you with ample sources...

Regards

--
Hay, if'n ya'll cun't konstructivly partecipete in this har disscusion, haw
aboot speel-checkin it fer me?

Old March 31st 05, 04:03 PM
K7MEM

Win wrote:
I recently purchased an old crank-up motor driven 60 foot tower that I
would hope someone could id for me. The motor belt drives a gearbox,
which turns the cable pulley. It has a approximately 1 foot by 18
inch control box which has two high current relays and two glass
contained relays. The glass-contained relays are in old 8 pin tube
sockets.

The tower, itself, is in good shape. I would like to re-build the
control circuits and out the tower in service. Any information anyone
can give me on this tower will be greatly appreciated. See at
www.winlyn.us/tower.jpg.

Win, w0lz

It's a little difficult to tell for sure from the photo, but that
tower looks exactly like mine. The whole structure appears to be
exactly the same. It even looks like you have the same tri-bander,
stuck in the middle of the tower.

I don't have the motor on mine, but I secured a large nut on mine so
I can crank it up manually or with a socket in my portable drill.
Anyway, I don't have the data on the tower immediately available, but
I will look it up in the next few days, if you are interested. I
seem to remember that there was some information on the motor drive
unit. Not much, but there may be a manufacturer's name that would help.

This will give me a chance to try out my new scanner.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
Old March 31st 05, 06:39 PM
Win

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the info.

Martin I will be going over to the location where I have it stored
this weekend. I will get any info I find to you. Glad you have a way
to raise it without the motor. If I don't get the electronic parts
fixed, I will put it up anyway and use it while I try to figure out
the electronics.

That is a TH-7 in the picture. I am looking to put a 20 or 15 meter
mono on this tower.

Thanks.

Win/w0lz
Old April 1st 05, 02:27 AM
dmt

I think that's an old Tri-Ex tower. I Have a Tri-Ex LM470D which looks
very similar....the tower sections are almost identical, but the
winch, motor mount, and control box are somewhat different. I don't
know what the A, B, and C versions looked like. I have restored the
LM470D, including remote controlling it in the shack, and it's a good
tower. I could copy the manual for you if you'll cover my costs. Let
me know if you need more info.
73
Dan
k0dan at arrl dot net

Old April 1st 05, 06:17 PM
K7MEM

Win wrote:

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the info.

Martin I will be going over to the location where I have it stored
this weekend. I will get any info I find to you. Glad you have a way
to raise it without the motor. If I don't get the electronic parts
fixed, I will put it up anyway and use it while I try to figure out
the electronics.

That is a TH-7 in the picture. I am looking to put a 20 or 15 meter
mono on this tower.

Thanks.

Win/w0lz

I sent you an email with a link to a image gallery. The gallery has
about 12 scanned images. The email explains everything. If there is
a problem, let me know and we will get them to you some other way.

Old April 1st 05, 08:23 PM
tower_dude

hi win,

Try posting this with the photo link on the tower reflector
http://www.eham.net go to forums and towers.

dude...