RadioBanter

-   -   NON-copyright material (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/68695-non-copyright-material.html)

John Smith April 10th 05 09:26 PM

NON-copyright material

To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain"; so, does anyone have a list of non-copyright materials
pertaining to antennas? Or, any ideas of how to obtain the information on
how to assemble one.
A website of non-copyright materials concerning antennas would be a great
asset to this community...

Regards,
John
--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be

Hal Rosser April 11th 05 04:50 AM

"John Smith" wrote in message
To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain";

So, you're saying that anyone could republish a book like "Moby Dick"
and sell it as their own since it was published before 1923 ?
I'm no lawyer, but I believe copyright live on. Patents expire.
If you're just wanting to build an antenna that someone else thought of
first
then you just 'do it' - just be careful about patent infringements if you
try to sell those antennas.

John Smith April 11th 05 05:17 AM

Here is one page on the net, from a university, if you research it, you will
find this page seems accurate. The library of congress page contains info
to this also...
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
Indeed, the examples of non-copyrighted works is not complete, there are
other ways a book is/remains un-copyright-ed.
I think I did see Moby Dick as one ebook freely available on the net, and
yes, I believe the copyright has expired on that book...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

John Smith April 11th 05 05:30 AM

Since you mentioned Moby Dick, I went ahead and searched the University of
Virginias' ebook library, it is there. I think you will probably need the
"Microsoft Reader", it is available from the microsoft site... if you need a
URL just ask...
Here is the URL to Moby Dick if you wish to download it:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin...&grouping=work

You can search their library of 1800+ ebooks with expired copyrights at:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/

Regards,
John

--
"John Smith" wrote in message
Here is one page on the net, from a university, if you research it, you
will
find this page seems accurate. The library of congress page contains info
to this also...
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
Indeed, the examples of non-copyrighted works is not complete, there are
other ways a book is/remains un-copyright-ed.
I think I did see Moby Dick as one ebook freely available on the net, and
yes, I believe the copyright has expired on that book...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

John Smith April 11th 05 05:55 AM

Sorry to keep repling to my own posts, but like to give as complete info as
I can, I should have mentioned this above, it is a repository of over 15,000
ebooks, mainly in plain text format, and many classics with expired
copyrights, and done mostly by volunteers...
http://www.gutenberg.org/

With a scanner and "Fine Reader" software, copying any book to ebook format
(.pdf, .lit, .txt, etc.) is a snap! I wonder how many hams are out there
with relevant-expired copyright material right now?

Regards,
John

--

"John Smith" wrote in message
Here is one page on the net, from a university, if you research it, you
will
find this page seems accurate. The library of congress page contains
info
to this also...
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
Indeed, the examples of non-copyrighted works is not complete, there are
other ways a book is/remains un-copyright-ed.
I think I did see Moby Dick as one ebook freely available on the net, and
yes, I believe the copyright has expired on that book...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

Dave Platt April 11th 05 07:27 AM

In article ,
Hal Rosser wrote:

So, you're saying that anyone could republish a book like "Moby Dick"
and sell it as their own since it was published before 1923 ?
I'm no lawyer, but I believe copyright live on. Patents expire.

Your belief is mistaken. Copyrights expire. They always have (under
U.S. law). The duration of copyright varies, reflecting changes in
the law.

Get the details (at least as far as U.S. law is concerned) at the
Federal Government's copyright-office web site:

http://www.copyright.gov/

If a work was originally created after 1/1/1978, its copyright applies
for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

Works created prior to 1/1/78 were originally granted a copyright of
28 years, which could be renewed for an additional 28 years. The 1976
Copyright Act extended the duration of the renewal period to 47 years.
There are further complexities (many of them) as Congress has seen fit
to (some would say "has been bribed with large campaign contributions
to") further extent and expand copyright protection over the past few
years.

Works which were originally created prior to 1922 - i.e. more than 56
years prior to 1/1/78 - have falled into the public domain, as both
their original 28-year copyright, and a subsequent 28-year renewal
would have run out prior to the date on which the laws changed.

Many works created in the 1940s and 1950s have also fallen out of
copyright protection, as their original 28-year copyright terms were
not renewed. Automatic renewal of copyright didn't kick in until the
1990s.

[Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer.]

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

John Smith April 11th 05 07:47 AM

Dave:
Yes, I agree, your information seems very linear to my own understanding.
And, yes, I too am cynical of congress and its' motives here. I certainly
support an authors' sole ownership of his intellectual material, and I am
willing to acknowledge a right to his immediate/living family. When it gets
out to his grandkids, I believe there is a greater argument; that is the
publics right to amass knowledge is of a greater importance than giving the
grandkids a free ride and free money, not to mention the media organizations
who exploit these laws to the detriment of societies goals and needs...
A free ride by the grandkids is probably not to their benefit anyway--one
can only truly appreciate that which he/she has himself/herself earned....
But hey, that is only my personal opinion...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!

Richard Clark April 11th 05 08:08 AM

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:30:04 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

You can search their library of 1800+ ebooks with expired copyrights at:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/

Hi All,

There are nearly tens times that many at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/

Instead of guessing about copyright, simply visit:
http://www.copyright.gov/
(Most/All of what has been said has been in error.)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Roy Lewallen April 11th 05 09:16 AM

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
The duration of copyright varies, reflecting changes in
the law.
. . .

Just about all you need to know is when Mickey Mouse was copyrighted.
When it was about to expire, the folks at Disney, with the help of
generous campaign donations (known elsewhere as baksheesh) of $6
million, got a nice bill through Congress (the Sonny Bono Copyright Term
Extension Act) to extend the term of protection by 20 years for works
copyrighted after (hee, hee) January 1, 1923. Mickey's copyright of
course began after this date.

Copyright holders who own fewer Congressmen or are unfortunate enough to
have copyrights that predate Mickey will just have to live with shorter
terms. Hey, it's the best government money can buy.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Wes Stewart April 11th 05 02:29 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:16:53 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
The duration of copyright varies, reflecting changes in
the law.
. . .

Just about all you need to know is when Mickey Mouse was copyrighted.
When it was about to expire, the folks at Disney, with the help of
generous campaign donations (known elsewhere as baksheesh) of $6
million, got a nice bill through Congress (the Sonny Bono Copyright Term
Extension Act) to extend the term of protection by 20 years for works
copyrighted after (hee, hee) January 1, 1923. Mickey's copyright of
course began after this date.

Copyright holders who own fewer Congressmen or are unfortunate enough to
have copyrights that predate Mickey will just have to live with shorter
terms. Hey, it's the best government money can buy.

In a similar light, and remembering that all politics are local, I
never cease to be amazed at how inexpensively one can buy a local
county board of supervisors member. We really do have democracy;
almost anyone can afford one.

Dan Richardson April 11th 05 02:49 PM

wrote:

Hey, it's the best government money can buy.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy,

That used to be the exprestion, now it is just a goverment that money
can buy.

Danny, K6MHE

Bob Miller April 11th 05 03:10 PM

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:26:40 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain"; so, does anyone have a list of non-copyright materials
pertaining to antennas? Or, any ideas of how to obtain the information on
how to assemble one.
A website of non-copyright materials concerning antennas would be a great
asset to this community...

Regards,
John

I'm not sure I understand your point about copyrights.

Even if a copyright has expired or never existed in the first place,
anyone who gives you a printed piece is going to charge for paper and
ink -- all the manufacturing costs involved in a printed piece.

Or, if you're just looking for web materials, it costs money to put up
a web site. You'll be charged to help defray those costs.

What are you expecting?

bob
k5qwg

John Smith April 11th 05 05:11 PM

Bob:
You are living in the past my friend!
1) It costs nothing to make works available to the gutenberg project.
2) There are other endeavors, such as gutenberg (some colleges request help
in obtaining materials, Virginia is only one)...
3) There are excellent peer-to-peer filesharing networks (Take a look at
Winmx--it guarantees no spyware or malware in the app)
4) IRC allows direct DCC SENDS of data from one chatter to another. (this
begs for someone to set up an amateur chat room anyway--MIRC is an excellent
IRC chat client.)
5) There are free Web Hosting ISP's on which you can host data, files,
etc.--all you need to know is HTML markup language and an FTP client (ask
your kids/grandkids--they can set it up for you--if not, I will give some
assistance.)
6) Ebooks can be emailed and shared.
7) etc., etc., etc.
The only excuse of why not to is ignorance and lazyness...

Regards,
John

John Smith April 11th 05 06:13 PM

Actually, books published from approx. 1938 back will have expired
copyrights (before 1923 is just an absolute!)--there are ways to research
any certain-given work (a search of the internet will provide these, and the
library of congress provides some help itself with answers to email
questions)--and I would most certainly suggest doing this before releasing
any document as public domain...

This idea takes some getting used to--we all learn old wives tales which, if
we are not careful, replace fact with fiction in our combined knowledge...

However, there is another reason why many are not knowledgeable of the fact
knowledge itself was/is intentionally meant to, eventually, be placed within
the publics domain. This reason I tend to refer to as, "The Control Freak
Factor." A group of people who for one reason or another tend to attempt to
halt, make impossible, obfuscate, and hinder the attempts of others to
disperse knowledge and learning. Why they do this and what their motivation
is, is beyond my comprehension.

Perhaps the reason is as simple as--given they feel such little control over
their own lives they seek to control others...

Think about it, I believe you will realize you have seen this behavior
before--both here and elsewhere...

Regards,

John

Bob Miller April 11th 05 06:18 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:11:37 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure all of the above exists, but it sounds like you are basically
for people working for free and not being compensated for their labor.
I'm about as damned-liberal as anybody on this group, but I believe
people who create intellectual property should be paid for it, and if
they want their kids and grandkids to benefit, so be it, and any
deadbeats outside the family who want to glom on to it for free, to
heck with 'em.

There are way too many folks who want free music, free film, free
books, free everything -- but if we stop compensating people who
create intellectual property, it will simply stop being created.

bob
k5qwg

Tony VE6MVP April 11th 05 06:19 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:29:43 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

We really do have democracy;
almost anyone can afford one.

As a Canadian watching U.S. politics from afar I find this quote
particularly funny.

Tony

John Smith April 11th 05 06:41 PM

Bob:

You have a right to any opinion you so choose to hold, as an American
indebited to my forefathers sacrifices--I would defend such with my life...

Personally, I find you underhanded, subversive and purposefully obstructive,
I cite your posts, to this point, as proof, the rags you attempt to hide
such behavior behind are simply revealing to the point of being invisible!

NO ONE HERE has/is even hinted at illegal, immoral or unethical
practices--EXCEPT YOU!

I suspect your motives are much less than honorable and just an attempt at
interferring with the free exchange of information and knowledge...

There is a natural tendency of humans to help other humans. No where is
this better demonstrated than one amateur helping another; It is a notable
and highly redeeming quality of the human condition...

You my friend are one who is on the verge of being a "Control Freak!"

I suggest you re-analyze your motives, intentions and goals and certainly
how others will view an "unbridled tongue!"

Regards,
John

Dave Platt April 11th 05 06:57 PM

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Dave:
Yes, I agree, your information seems very linear to my own understanding.
And, yes, I too am cynical of congress and its' motives here. I certainly
support an authors' sole ownership of his intellectual material, and I am
willing to acknowledge a right to his immediate/living family. When it gets
out to his grandkids, I believe there is a greater argument; that is the
publics right to amass knowledge is of a greater importance than giving the
grandkids a free ride and free money, not to mention the media organizations
who exploit these laws to the detriment of societies goals and needs...
A free ride by the grandkids is probably not to their benefit anyway--one
can only truly appreciate that which he/she has himself/herself earned....
But hey, that is only my personal opinion...

Well, that was pretty much the opinion of the Founders who set up the
legal structure for patent, copyright, and trade-secret protection.

The original motivation and justification for these sorts of law -
which have the effect of placing Government law-enforcement power in
the service of private individuals - was *not* to ensure the
enrichment of the inventors and authors. The original goal was to
increase the public good.

The reasoning is that by providing inventors and authors with a
*limited* protection of their creative works (i.e. exclusive rights,
for some period of time), it would motivate inventors to invent and
also to reveal their inventions to others in detail (the latter being
required for a patent) rather than keep their inventions secret.
Similarly, it would motivate people to write, create paintings, etc.

The legal protection was made limited in time... and I believe that
this was done specifically so that the inventions and creations
*would* continue to enter the public domain so that other people could
build upon them in the future, further enriching our cultural and
technical heritage.

A tradeoff was offered for those who wished to keep their inventions
secret, and maintain an indefinite "lock" on the exclusivity. The
alternate to a patent (which requires disclosure) is a trade secret.
The way that the law was originally structured, was that a trade
secret had to be kept *secret* in order to be protected... i.e. via
physical protection, legal nondisclosure agreements with the parties
to whom it was revealed, etc. A trade secret did not carry with it
any protection against independent re-invention or reverse
engineering. If you invent a better widget, keep its details secret,
make it for several years, and then somebody independently re-invents
the same device or process, you didn't have the legal right to
prosecute them or shut them down.

Unfortunately (in my opinion), both copyright and trade-secret
protection have been excessively widened over the past few decades.
Copyright has been repeatedly extended to the point that it's now
nearly unlimited in duration... literary inventions which have been
part of American culture for many decades are still "locked up" as the
commercial properties of the licensees of their authors. Similarly,
"trade secret" protection seems to have been widened, to the point
where companies feel free to ask the courts to shut down discussion
and distribution of information involving the independent re-invention
or reverse engineering of technologies that those companies feel is
proprietary, even if none of the people involved in the discussion or
reverse engineering are under any sort of trade-secret agreement.

Seems to me that the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of
"protect the revenue of the inventors and authors" and too far away
from "promote the greater public good."

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Wes Stewart April 11th 05 06:59 PM

wrote:

We really do have democracy;
almost anyone can afford one.

As a Canadian watching U.S. politics from afar I find this quote
particularly funny.

Hey, we think your government is pretty funny too :)

John Smith April 11th 05 07:11 PM

Dave:
THAT post if proof, at least to me, that you ARE a Great American!
I will remember your words my friend!

Warmest regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!

Richard Clark April 11th 05 07:15 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:18:06 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

but if we stop compensating people who
create intellectual property, it will simply stop being created.

Hi Bob,

This assertion is untested by simple virtue of the extension of
copyright, and the continued abuse of patents. Being untested does
not mean that it defaults to being true.

Insofar as left/right/liberal/conservative politics go, Ben Franklin
was very much against patenting. In his era, plagiarism was rife, but
its penalty was weighed against purpose and claims and punished in the
form of opprobrium. You were far more likely to be sued for slander
than stealing ideas. Back then, if you couldn't pay the fine, they
threw you in the slammer.

But back to the assertion, there is every proof that this is simply
not the case. One of the chief contentions that America is shipping
its software jobs east (the far east, not Jersey) is that Asians will
soon crowd the field with better programmers (or simply more, cheaper
programmers) who will flood the capitalist market with their product.

Creativity being what it is, and what intellectuals do, such product
that is free and unencumbered has already washed the Asians out like a
tidal wave. I can point at one example of creativity that confounds
the monetary need for patent or copyright:
http://sourceforge.net/
where you and others may observe more than 98,000 software packages
are being offered for free (this is NOT crippleware) that are being
built by more than 1 Million designers (creative individuals). They
do ask for pledges, but this is not a condition of use.

The Chinese don't need more programmers to burn illegal copies of M$
Office, but neither do I need to fly to Shanghai to buy them. Instead
I can download Open Office for free (and certainly at less hazard to
asian infections). Do I breathlessly wait for the next iteration now
called Longhorn? That horse is so lame, M$ hasn't realized that the
field has left it behind. If a million Indian Engineers could put it
on wheels with a hemi under the hood, it still wouldn't pay their
wages in rice when it hits the market. M$ daily pays the cost for
exclusivity that eclipes copyright or patent. As far as creativity
go, copyright and patent offer abysmal return unless you are a one
note symphony composer.

The ONLY software I have ever purchased in the last 10 years was for
Agent (the newsreader I am now using to post to this forum) and
Outpost Firewall. Both items were to protect me from the third piece
of software I bought, M$ Win2K Pro which could now be easily replaced
with Linux (which I now build custom business systems on). Absolutely
every application that is mainstream can be replaced and upgraded to
for FREE.

In the spirit of compensation, not to the individual(s) who designed
Open Office, but to the community at large, I have contributed my own
Web Search Engines for FREE. My effort to produce them expended as
much time, but far less cash in my pursuit of 5 patents (ego
certificates).

If any want to argue that this is far different from Mickey Mouse
protection, I would offer that even if his copyright expired, there
would still be protection through Trade Mark, and Licensing
agreements. Really, the laws are manifestly and explicitly for
intimidation alone.

You can be sued for distributing the image of Moe Howard, but sky
through with Abraham Lincoln's mug on a T-shirt. This is not about
creativity, merit, or intellectual worth. It is simply about
government sanctioned monopoly (and again, manifestly and explicitly
so). As TR observed 100 years ago, expanded monopolies are bad for
America.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark April 11th 05 09:54 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:15:34 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

Absolutely every application that is mainstream can be replaced and upgraded to
for FREE.

Hi All,

In today's news, from the Seattle Times:
"'My belief is that open-source software is going to help drive
the acquisition cost of software down toward zero,' he said, a
shift that will require software companies to move 'over to a
maintenance and support model.'"
and this is a quote from Martin Taylor, Ballmer's chief of staff at
M$.

Now, taking that cue about future trends in protecting the rights of
those who create intellectual property, you may notice that patents
and copyright have ceased to have market leverage in an industry that
is content dominated. On the other hand, maintenance and support are
strictly labor centric. How long do you think 1million Chinese will
take to hone their mid-west accent? How long do you think it would
take you to brush up your Mandarin or Cantonese?

The economy of off-shoring is not found in how many calls the Chinese
Help Desk can answer, but in how many answers the Chinese Help Desk
can make understandable.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jim Kelley April 11th 05 10:57 PM

Richard Clark wrote:

If any want to argue that this is far different from Mickey Mouse
protection, I would offer that even if his copyright expired, there
would still be protection through Trade Mark, and Licensing
agreements.

Why would anyone pay to license something for which the copyright has
expired?

Really, the laws are manifestly and explicitly for
intimidation alone.

No. They are also meant to encourage R&D, advance the state of the art,
and promote entepreneurism.

You can be sued for distributing the image of Moe Howard, but sky
through with Abraham Lincoln's mug on a T-shirt.

That's where the similarity ends. But where does it begin?

This is not about
creativity, merit, or intellectual worth. It is simply about
government sanctioned monopoly (and again, manifestly and explicitly
so). As TR observed 100 years ago, expanded monopolies are bad for
America.

The Truthspeak word for pessimist is realist.

ac6xg

Richard Clark April 12th 05 12:36 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:57:52 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:
Why would anyone pay to license something for which the copyright has
expired?

Hi Jim,

That is simply repetition. The extension of copyright makes that
moot. Can you name a single Disney product with copyright that was
not licensed as a trademark right? No one is seriously interested in
Little Mermaid knock-offs but the Chinese. And how many dozen are
Disney going to sell to Chinese at $20 a pop when they can only afford
25 cents?

When the capitalists go into China with Hammer and Tong over copyright
issues, they are not selling anything. And since the introduction of
Linux as a substantial option, the Chinese have shown even less
interest in M$. There's the payoff of investments in Hammer and Tongs
on a sliding scale.

Really, the laws are manifestly and explicitly for
intimidation alone.

No. They are also meant to encourage R&D, advance the state of the art,
and promote entepreneurism.

This lies somewhere between misty-eyed dreaming and the soft-porn of
industry pleas. There is absolutely no grant nor entitlement, much
less funding that is vested into R&D by the government's supporting
monopoly. Copyrights and Patents are boldfacedly proclaimed as rights
of enforcement ONLY. No R&D lab I've been in had a legal department,
and most companies that did have a legal department, bought their R&D
and simply did the marketing. If ever there was a case study of this,
it is M$. Chairman Bill's dad was NOT a mathematician NOR a
scientist, he was a Lawyer. He couldn't care less about copyright of
DOS1 because by the time any issue made its way through the courts, no
one would be using it.

Can you name the writer of DOS1? So much the value of copyright for a
trillion dollar industry.

An entrepreneur is the other guy with the money, not the one with the
intellectual property. I've pitched against more than $100Million
worth of these types, and most of them would stare daggers at you if
you uttered you had Patent pending. They know how to do that
themselves, and they certainly don't want competition seeing their
names as assignees in public records.

Jim, you got any of your own patents? Ever copyright any substantial
work? How much did it tilt the balance ledger? There's reality.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Bob Miller April 12th 05 12:50 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:36:31 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

Jim, you got any of your own patents? Ever copyright any substantial
work? How much did it tilt the balance ledger? There's reality.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

One example, the people whose names follow the "created by" credit on
a successful (and copyrighted) tv series have been known to make
mountains of money.

bob
k5qwg

Richard Clark April 12th 05 12:50 AM

wrote:

When the capitalists go into China with Hammer and Tong over copyright
issues, they are not selling anything. And since the introduction of
Linux as a substantial option, the Chinese have shown even less
interest in M$. There's the payoff of investments in Hammer and Tongs
on a sliding scale.

Hi All,

Now a quote from IBM (today, just as M$ quote was from today):

"Earlier this year, I.B.M. made a broad gesture toward what it
called a new era in how it controls intellectual property. It
announced in January that it would make 500 patents - mainly for
software code that manages electronic commerce, storage, image
processing, data handling and Internet communications - freely
available to others.

"And it pledged that more such moves would follow.

"This month, the company said that all of its future patent
contributions to the largest standards group for electronic
commerce on the Web, the Organization for the Advancement of
Structured Information Standards, would be free.

"I.B.M. is at the forefront, but companies in industry after
industry are also reconsidering their strategies on intellectual
property: What do you share? What do you keep proprietary?"

In today's marketplace, the pampered notions and dreams spun into
vague platitudes about protection are no defense to global cut-throat
capitalism.

These recent events throws the musty notion of patents being necessary
to support R&D into a cocked hat.

Franklin pointed out these false illusions long ago.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark April 12th 05 12:57 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:50:32 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

One example, the people whose names follow the "created by" credit on
a successful (and copyrighted) tv series have been known to make
mountains of money.

Hi Bob,

I dare say, if I paid attention to that (and I do, as it is part of my
work), that I would not find you or Jim's name there.

Ever see a copyright notice on a TV scroll? The more important mark
is the Screen Writer Guild's registration number. It's been 25 years,
but I've done this too.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hal Rosser April 12th 05 12:59 AM

SO - did you steal somebody's idea for an antenna, or what ?
Go ahead and make it - we won't tell.

John Smith April 12th 05 01:18 AM

You are underhanded, subversive, and your manner is below one of minimal
human behavior--but I am positive--others have told you this--and obviously
with little affect...
Attacking me certainly does NOT endear your person to me. I am sure that
other thinking individuals recognise you for what you are and fear any
exchange with you, do you like to live in isolation?
What is it that you have found in my posts which you fear and are attempting
to divert attention away from? What has endangered you to the point of
reducing yourself to a such a level as to make a "gutter attack" on anothers
character?
Not only your lack of education and proper upbringing is showing--your very
lack of character is SCREAMING in agony!

John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
. ..

Jim Kelley April 12th 05 01:18 AM

Richard Clark wrote:

Really, the laws are manifestly and explicitly for
intimidation alone.

No. They are also meant to encourage R&D, advance the state of the art,
and promote entepreneurism.

This lies somewhere between misty-eyed dreaming and the soft-porn of
industry pleas.

I'm really just paraphrasing those laws we had been talking about.

There is absolutely no grant nor entitlement, much
less funding that is vested into R&D by the government's supporting
monopoly. Copyrights and Patents are boldfacedly proclaimed as rights
of enforcement ONLY. No R&D lab I've been in had a legal department,
and most companies that did have a legal department, bought their R&D
and simply did the marketing.

Always with the negative waves, Mr. Clark.

Jim, you got any of your own patents? Ever copyright any substantial
work? How much did it tilt the balance ledger? There's reality.

Yes, I have and it is. But apparently my expectations were more
realistic than yours, and I somehow managed to avoid becoming a bitter
and pessimistic 'victim' of the big mean government men. Buck-up a
little fer cryin' out loud.

ac6xg

John Smith April 12th 05 01:28 AM

If you are wondering about a certain author, work, etc...

Here is the page where you can conduct searches to answer your curiosity on
current copyrights:

http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html

Also, here is the Copyrights' Office page of circulars to answer various
questions:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/

Regards,

John

Bob Miller April 12th 05 02:12 AM

wrote:

One example, the people whose names follow the "created by" credit on
a successful (and copyrighted) tv series have been known to make
mountains of money.

Hi Bob,

I dare say, if I paid attention to that (and I do, as it is part of my
work), that I would not find you or Jim's name there.

No, but as an advertising copywriter for much of my life, a lot of my
work was copyrighted -- not that that had anything to do with how much
I was paid, but I did okay.

John Smith April 12th 05 02:24 AM

I am just in the first stages of investigating this database myself. I am
not positive if I am interpreting the results correctly.
For example, I plugged Terman, Frederick, here is the result:

1. Registration Number: RE-187-468
Title: Electronic and radio engineering. By acFrederick E. Terman.
Edition: 4th ed.
Claimant: Frederick E. Terman (A)
Effective Registration Date: 2Dec83
Original Registration Date: 6Sep55;
Original Registration Number: A203084.
Original Class: A
Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: "revisions and new material."

I am guessing, but this seems to confirm the materials' copyright expired on
12/2/83 and there was no renewal and it now lies in the realm of public
domain--but am looking how to confirm this. I can find no other mention of
this work in the database...
Perhaps others can provide their knowledge/observations?

Regards,
John

John Smith April 12th 05 03:19 AM

No, stike that, looks like it was renewed... there are two registration
numbers... I am looking for now for some known works which have been
renewed, that I can check against--I expected this info to be more
organized...

Regards,
John

[email protected] April 12th 05 03:41 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:57:10 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

The reasoning is that by providing inventors and authors with a
*limited* protection of their creative works (i.e. exclusive rights,
for some period of time), it would motivate inventors to invent and
also to reveal their inventions to others in detail (the latter being
required for a patent) rather than keep their inventions secret.
Similarly, it would motivate people to write, create paintings, etc.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with a legislature composed of
lawyers who, when reminded that copyright was to be "for a limited
period" can, with a sraight face (and bulging pockets) say, "One
thousand years is a limit, is it not?"

[email protected] April 12th 05 03:46 AM

wrote:

[...]

IP lawyers agree with you.

The open source software movement refutes you.

Dee Flint April 12th 05 04:08 AM

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

"John Smith" wrote in message
To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain";

So, you're saying that anyone could republish a book like "Moby Dick"
and sell it as their own since it was published before 1923 ?
I'm no lawyer, but I believe copyright live on. Patents expire.
If you're just wanting to build an antenna that someone else thought of
first
then you just 'do it' - just be careful about patent infringements if you
try to sell those antennas.

There are several websites addressing copyright. Here in the US, copyrights
before 1923 are indeed expired. Some copyrights after this date are also
expired depending on renewal status at the times of various copyright law
changes but that gets a little complicated. No they cannot publish the
material as their own as that is plagiarism but they can publish it without
permission of the original copyright holder and do not have to pay anyone
for the right to print it. When a publishing house prints a new edition of
"Moby Dick", all the money goes to the publishing house. None goes to the
author's estate or heirs.

Hal Rosser April 12th 05 05:48 AM

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Calm down, bubbaboy. :-) a little touchy, aren't we ? I did not attach
you.
But you, in just a few lines, have managed to perform an attack of huge
porportion.
An attack not befitting a gentleman.
You should now voluntarily turn in your gentleman credentials immediately.
(But you can still go ahead and make that antenna).

John Smith April 12th 05 06:22 AM

Gets a "little complicated.." ??? Amen! The laws have been more like
"totally subverted" from their original intent.
Strange there is no way to search the database, specifically, for expired
copyrights! Huh, almost enough to trigger my "conspiracy theory"
tendencies! Of course, perhaps Micro$oft developed the database--that would
be one acceptable explaination...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..