Old April 10th 05, 09:26 PM
John Smith

Default NON-copyright material

To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain"; so, does anyone have a list of non-copyright materials
pertaining to antennas? Or, any ideas of how to obtain the information on
how to assemble one.
A website of non-copyright materials concerning antennas would be a great
asset to this community...

Regards,
John
--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be

Old April 11th 05, 04:50 AM
Hal Rosser

"John Smith" wrote in message
To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain";

So, you're saying that anyone could republish a book like "Moby Dick"
and sell it as their own since it was published before 1923 ?
I'm no lawyer, but I believe copyright live on. Patents expire.
If you're just wanting to build an antenna that someone else thought of
first
then you just 'do it' - just be careful about patent infringements if you
try to sell those antennas.

Old April 11th 05, 05:17 AM
John Smith

Here is one page on the net, from a university, if you research it, you will
find this page seems accurate. The library of congress page contains info
to this also...
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
Indeed, the examples of non-copyrighted works is not complete, there are
other ways a book is/remains un-copyright-ed.
I think I did see Moby Dick as one ebook freely available on the net, and
yes, I believe the copyright has expired on that book...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 11th 05, 05:30 AM
John Smith

Since you mentioned Moby Dick, I went ahead and searched the University of
Virginias' ebook library, it is there. I think you will probably need the
"Microsoft Reader", it is available from the microsoft site... if you need a
URL just ask...
Here is the URL to Moby Dick if you wish to download it:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin...&grouping=work

You can search their library of 1800+ ebooks with expired copyrights at:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/

Regards,
John

--
"John Smith" wrote in message
Here is one page on the net, from a university, if you research it, you
will
find this page seems accurate. The library of congress page contains info
to this also...
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
Indeed, the examples of non-copyrighted works is not complete, there are
other ways a book is/remains un-copyright-ed.
I think I did see Moby Dick as one ebook freely available on the net, and
yes, I believe the copyright has expired on that book...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 11th 05, 05:55 AM
John Smith

Sorry to keep repling to my own posts, but like to give as complete info as
I can, I should have mentioned this above, it is a repository of over 15,000
ebooks, mainly in plain text format, and many classics with expired
copyrights, and done mostly by volunteers...
http://www.gutenberg.org/

With a scanner and "Fine Reader" software, copying any book to ebook format
(.pdf, .lit, .txt, etc.) is a snap! I wonder how many hams are out there
with relevant-expired copyright material right now?

Regards,
John

--

"John Smith" wrote in message
Here is one page on the net, from a university, if you research it, you
will
find this page seems accurate. The library of congress page contains
info
to this also...
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
Indeed, the examples of non-copyrighted works is not complete, there are
other ways a book is/remains un-copyright-ed.
I think I did see Moby Dick as one ebook freely available on the net, and
yes, I believe the copyright has expired on that book...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 11th 05, 07:27 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Hal Rosser wrote:

So, you're saying that anyone could republish a book like "Moby Dick"
and sell it as their own since it was published before 1923 ?
I'm no lawyer, but I believe copyright live on. Patents expire.

Your belief is mistaken. Copyrights expire. They always have (under
U.S. law). The duration of copyright varies, reflecting changes in
the law.

Get the details (at least as far as U.S. law is concerned) at the
Federal Government's copyright-office web site:

http://www.copyright.gov/

If a work was originally created after 1/1/1978, its copyright applies
for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

Works created prior to 1/1/78 were originally granted a copyright of
28 years, which could be renewed for an additional 28 years. The 1976
Copyright Act extended the duration of the renewal period to 47 years.
There are further complexities (many of them) as Congress has seen fit
to (some would say "has been bribed with large campaign contributions
to") further extent and expand copyright protection over the past few
years.

Works which were originally created prior to 1922 - i.e. more than 56
years prior to 1/1/78 - have falled into the public domain, as both
their original 28-year copyright, and a subsequent 28-year renewal
would have run out prior to the date on which the laws changed.

Many works created in the 1940s and 1950s have also fallen out of
copyright protection, as their original 28-year copyright terms were
not renewed. Automatic renewal of copyright didn't kick in until the
1990s.

[Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer.]

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old April 11th 05, 07:47 AM
John Smith

Dave:
Yes, I agree, your information seems very linear to my own understanding.
And, yes, I too am cynical of congress and its' motives here. I certainly
support an authors' sole ownership of his intellectual material, and I am
willing to acknowledge a right to his immediate/living family. When it gets
out to his grandkids, I believe there is a greater argument; that is the
publics right to amass knowledge is of a greater importance than giving the
grandkids a free ride and free money, not to mention the media organizations
who exploit these laws to the detriment of societies goals and needs...
A free ride by the grandkids is probably not to their benefit anyway--one
can only truly appreciate that which he/she has himself/herself earned....
But hey, that is only my personal opinion...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!

Old April 11th 05, 08:08 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:30:04 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

You can search their library of 1800+ ebooks with expired copyrights at:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/

Hi All,

There are nearly tens times that many at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/

Instead of guessing about copyright, simply visit:
http://www.copyright.gov/
(Most/All of what has been said has been in error.)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 11th 05, 09:16 AM
Roy Lewallen

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
The duration of copyright varies, reflecting changes in
the law.
. . .

Just about all you need to know is when Mickey Mouse was copyrighted.
When it was about to expire, the folks at Disney, with the help of
generous campaign donations (known elsewhere as baksheesh) of $6
million, got a nice bill through Congress (the Sonny Bono Copyright Term
Extension Act) to extend the term of protection by 20 years for works
copyrighted after (hee, hee) January 1, 1923. Mickey's copyright of
course began after this date.

Copyright holders who own fewer Congressmen or are unfortunate enough to
have copyrights that predate Mickey will just have to live with shorter
terms. Hey, it's the best government money can buy.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old April 11th 05, 02:29 PM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:16:53 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
The duration of copyright varies, reflecting changes in
the law.
. . .

Just about all you need to know is when Mickey Mouse was copyrighted.
When it was about to expire, the folks at Disney, with the help of
generous campaign donations (known elsewhere as baksheesh) of $6
million, got a nice bill through Congress (the Sonny Bono Copyright Term
Extension Act) to extend the term of protection by 20 years for works
copyrighted after (hee, hee) January 1, 1923. Mickey's copyright of
course began after this date.

Copyright holders who own fewer Congressmen or are unfortunate enough to
have copyrights that predate Mickey will just have to live with shorter
terms. Hey, it's the best government money can buy.

In a similar light, and remembering that all politics are local, I
never cease to be amazed at how inexpensively one can buy a local
county board of supervisors member. We really do have democracy;
almost anyone can afford one.