Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14th 05, 05:15 PM
Pat

Default 1000 watt HF amplifier: what about nearby antennas?

I just bought an Icom PW-1 (1kW) amplifier. My concern is whether or
not I could potentially burn out the front end of other receivers attached
nearby antennas. My tower clears the roof line of the house by about 10'.
The 6 band HF beam is 1' above the thrust bearing (top of tower), and
approximately 8' above the beam is the triband vertical (at the very top of
the mast.) That said, there will definitely be a significant RF field above
and
below the beam, as well as to the obvious front and back of the beam.

So, is there a danger of inducing destructive voltages to the vertical
above? What about other antennas on my roof near the tower?

My beam is well above the roof line, but as I have two tripods on the roof,
each with assorted verticals and beams {6m - 70cm LogP, two discones, a 902
yagi, and 902 vertical, and a 220MHz vertical.) These are each 25 to 30
feet away from the HF beam. There's also a distorted G5RV (aka: has a 90
degree turn near the end of the long leg as to stay on the property) running
off the roof to some trees along the back fence.

So you see my concern about having a 1KW RF source in proximity to all the
other antennas. Any other kilowatters out there with some experience or
advice
to share?

'73,
Pat, VE3PMK