RadioBanter

-   -   Are all these arguments revolving around a common point? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/70014-all-these-arguments-revolving-around-common-point.html)

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 04:31 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Try assuming that time doesn't exist and you are keeping track
of change referenced to the rotation of the earth on its axis
plus earth's orbit around the sun. What is different?

The units.

Not even that. It would still be a day and a year.
Nothing would change if time doesn't exist.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 04:35 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
I think bats existed before man. They seem to have pretty good
perception of time.

Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 04:45 AM

Roger Conroy wrote:
You guys are ducking the question - Can you define "Changes" without
referring to time?

Referring to God doesn't prove the existence of God except
as a concept in the human mind. Referring to time doesn't
prove the existence of time except as a concept in the human
mind.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Smith May 3rd 05 05:02 AM

Cecil:

Now you told 'em that, they will know we can TALK about "God" (the concept)
without, necessarily, BELIEVING in "God."

You are as bad as Richard, you spoil the fun!!!! wink

Warmest regards,

John

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Harold E. Johnson May 3rd 05 11:37 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
I think bats existed before man. They seem to have pretty good
perception of time.

Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.
--
73, Cecil

Ah, but they echo range. (Time.) Only way you ever nail one is with a tennis
racket. They "hear" the racket itself and miss the strings. This has GOT to
be one of the dumbest threads John Smith has ever started.

W4ZCB

W4ZCB

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 02:22 PM

Harold E. Johnson wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.

Ah, but they echo range.

And they were doing so long before the concepts of time,
perception, echo, and range were invented. Those things
are part of the malleable human model of reality and
probably do not even exist in the bat's hard-wired
model of reality.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W9DMK May 3rd 05 02:25 PM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:35:39 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
I think bats existed before man. They seem to have pretty good
perception of time.

Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.

Dear Cecil,

Depends upon what you really mean by "perception". I don't think
"perception" has to mean that they consciously think about it, any
more than a human has to consciously think about it. In both cases,
animals and humans are able to make inferences from listening to
echoes. They can and do infer that the reflections are further away
when the elapsed time for the echo is greater. The big difference is
that bats don't make such a big deal about RADAR.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 03:11 PM

W9DMK (Robert Lay) wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.

Depends upon what you really mean by "perception".

I mean there is no need to perceive time. Change is all
that needs to be perceived. We perceive what we label as
time by correlating changes to each other. The perceived
lapsed time between the sending of a sound and the receiving
of an echo is simply the correlation of external and internal
changes by some sophisticated biology. One of the earliest
Greek philosophers, Parmenides, maintained that there was
neither time nor motion, only change.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 03:21 PM

Harold E. Johnson wrote:
This has GOT to
be one of the dumbest threads John Smith has ever started.

He may have started the thread but the idea is presented
quite well in "The End of Time - The Next Revolution in
Physics", by Julian Barbour, (c) 1999, Oxford University
Press, ISBN 0-19-511729-8 Dropping the concept of time
resolves all the apparent contradictions within quantum
physics, e.g. entanglement and effects preceding causes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Michael Coslo May 3rd 05 04:27 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dropping the concept of time
resolves all the apparent contradictions within quantum
physics, e.g. entanglement and effects preceding causes.

So does Faith-Based Physics! ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Michael Coslo May 3rd 05 04:40 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Harold E. Johnson wrote:

This has GOT to
be one of the dumbest threads John Smith has ever started.

He may have started the thread but the idea is presented
quite well in "The End of Time - The Next Revolution in
Physics", by Julian Barbour, (c) 1999, Oxford University
Press, ISBN 0-19-511729-8 Dropping the concept of time
resolves all the apparent contradictions within quantum
physics, e.g. entanglement and effects preceding causes.

Oy! Now there is a way to solve problems!

I have not read the book, so cannot comment with authority, but it
seems Julian is in a hurry to throw away time in order to solve problems
that can or will be solved without tossing time.

The amount of disciplines that "time" cuts across are many. The concept
has served us well for a long long time.

The "answering" of quantum effects issues by throwing out time will
probably create many new problems with just about everything else.

My curiosity is piqued. I'll have to read the book.

- Mike KB3EIA -

John Smith May 3rd 05 05:09 PM

Cecil:

Thanks for that book/author--I was unaware of it!!!!
You look away for a few years--someone writes a new book!!! grin

John Smith May 3rd 05 05:31 PM

Cecil:

All this chat made me rethink a lot too, perhaps there are models of your
"dimensions" out there--black holes. And, these are portals into one/some
of those dimensions--and the "end of our universe" is nothing more than the
shell of a black hole--and we can break though that "shielding" with
sufficient energy.

I know, that is a desperate reach, but those black holes can certainly be
used as a "mental model" to draw pictures of something--and I haven't heard
of anyone constructing a "believable" model from them yet!!!

Warmest regards,
John

Jim Kelley May 3rd 05 05:40 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:

I think bats existed before man. They seem to have pretty good
perception of time.

Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.

Perception of change.....hmmmm. What are the units of change? In other
words, how would 'change' itself be quantified'?

73, ac6xg

Jim Kelley May 3rd 05 05:42 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Harold E. Johnson wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:

Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.

Ah, but they echo range.

And they were doing so long before the concepts of time,
perception, echo, and range were invented. Those things
are part of the malleable human model of reality and
probably do not even exist in the bat's hard-wired
model of reality.

Evidence that time is not just a concept of man.

73 de ac6xg

Michael Coslo May 3rd 05 06:02 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:

I think bats existed before man. They seem to have pretty good
perception of time.

Bats have very good perceptions of change and movement.
No perception of time required.

Perception of change.....hmmmm. What are the units of change? In other
words, how would 'change' itself be quantified'?

Perhaps we could call it hiib ( or any other made up word) Whatever it
is, it would seem a lot like time! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Harold E. Johnson May 3rd 05 06:15 PM

He may have started the thread but the idea is presented
quite well in "The End of Time - The Next Revolution in
Physics", by Julian Barbour, (c) 1999, Oxford University
Press, ISBN 0-19-511729-8 Dropping the concept of time
resolves all the apparent contradictions within quantum
physics, e.g. entanglement and effects preceding causes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Skimmed that several years ago when alerted by a friend. Despite Barbour's
credentials, I didn't think much of it then either.

W4ZCB

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 07:16 PM

John Smith wrote:
I know, that is a desperate reach, but those black holes can certainly be
used as a "mental model" to draw pictures of something--and I haven't heard
of anyone constructing a "believable" model from them yet!!!

Consider that our entire universe may have been just one
of a large number of black holes and the only difference
is that ours reached critical mass and exploded. All of
existence may contain many bubble universes, some even
colliding with each other. I once read that there is a
section of our universe out near the edge where the objects
are blue shifted indicating something very large coming
at us and it is only about ten billion light years away.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W9DMK May 3rd 05 07:28 PM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:11:12 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

One of the earliest
Greek philosophers, Parmenides, maintained that there was
neither time nor motion, only change.

Dear Cecil,

I'm not sure that I agree with Parmenides - it depends on how he
answers, "change with respect to what?"

Unless we can make a case for change with respect to time, poor Mrs.
Doppler is going to find it more and more difficult to feed her
children :-)

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 07:34 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Perception of change.....hmmmm. What are the units of change? In other
words, how would 'change' itself be quantified'?

Change is binary. Either something changes or it doesn't.

Here's a question for you. Does time itself flow or are we
flowing through time? If we could travel at the speed of
light, would we be synchronized with the flow of time?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 07:38 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Evidence that time is not just a concept of man.

If time never existed, a bat would function exactly
the same. How is that evidence of anything.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley May 3rd 05 07:57 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Here's a question for you. Does time itself flow or are we
flowing through time? If we could travel at the speed of
light, would we be synchronized with the flow of time?

Even more importantly, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a
woodchuck could chuck wood? ;-)

ac6xg

Jim Kelley May 3rd 05 08:07 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

If time never existed, a bat would function exactly
the same.

And with that piece of speculative fiction out of the way, we now return
to our regularly scheduled antenna discussions. (he said, optimistically)

ac6xg....out

John Smith May 3rd 05 09:05 PM

Units? Perhaps "Atom-Units of change."
Depening on if ya move just one atom, or a planet-full of 'em?

Regards,
John

John Smith May 3rd 05 09:06 PM

Ohh, wait!!!!

Someone already thought of that!!! Darn, the "Atomic Clock!" grin

Regards,
John

Cecil Moore May 3rd 05 11:05 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
If time never existed, a bat would function exactly
the same.

And with that piece of speculative fiction out of the way, ...

I can prove that is a true statement, Jim.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Smith May 4th 05 12:11 AM

Well, we certainly have learned something here, and that was the point this
all began....

"If everyone can't even agree on time--we are going to even have a bit more
problem with other "myths."

Truth is, if you choose to believe in "time", you do no harm, if you choose
to believe in a christian "God", you do no harm, if you choose to believe in
"radio theory", you do no harm...

Personally, Santa gets my vote!!! HEY! Wait a minutes, that's me, or at
least that is what my grown kids think!!! grin

So, we proceed.... hopefully with patience and understanding for such as the
like of me--a newbie...

Regards,
John

[email protected] May 5th 05 08:18 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:39:57 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Roger Conroy wrote:
Can you define "changes" without reference to time?

My dog cannot tell time but knows when to eat by the
changes in her feelings from not hungry to hungry. Time
is just an artifact of man's mental model of reality.
Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

I hadn't thought of this for a lot of years, but the first
definition of it was, "Time is a measure of change; if nothing
changed, you couldn't assign time to it."

That reminds me of something I caught my Dad on one time.
Daylight savings time had just arrived and we set our
clocks forward one hour thus losing one hour of sleep. I
said, "Pity the poor birds who have to wake up an hour
earlier and fly around in the dark." My Dad said, "Yeah,
poor birds, - - - hey, wait a minute!"

It started early with you, huh? :-)

[email protected] May 5th 05 08:20 AM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:34:03 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:
Time is the description of the interval between happenings. Do all
things happen concurrently?

I agree that time is the description of the interval between
happenings. What I don't accept is that time is some real
dimension existing completely independent of human concepts.

Before man emerged, living organisms got by on changes
alone with no reference to time.

That's hard to prove one way or the other.

I don't recall clocks being part of the fossil record. :-)

Sure there were -- growth ridges on clams, tree rings, etc.
:-)

[email protected] May 5th 05 08:23 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:13:33 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Time is very real to us mortals, Cecil.

So is God (whether He exists in reality or not).
Question is: Did time exist before man?

It is an interesting question. Certainly life forms that presumably do
*not* have consciousness, such as bacteria, have a beginning, a being
and an end. So is time dependent upon a life form possessing sentience?

That's pretty close to the tree falling in the forest bit.

hile you're at it, if your in Socrates' dreamless sleep and
can't perceive time, has time passed?

If a sentient being such as man is not there to invent the concept of
time, do all those constructs that have a beginning and end cease to exist?

A year is
simply movement, once around the sun. I've been
here for about 40 billion miles around the sun. Is
that time or simply distance?

Years are constructs of humanity. It is simply a convenient method of
marking things that *happen*, such as the position of the stars, which
as it turns out , is a manifestation of the period in which the earth
returns to some initial observation point.

No doubt it is similar to our using base 10 math because we happen to
have 10 fingers.

Am I winding down
because of the years or simply, like my '96 pickup,
because of the miles?

Entropy, My dear Cecil, entropy!

More importantly, as the great sage Homer Simpson asked:

"Can God make a burrito so hot that he can't eat it?"

- Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] May 5th 05 08:28 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:51:12 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

That time occurs is not all that arguable to me. Our measurements of
it is a modifiable thing tho'.

Try assuming that time doesn't exist and you are keeping track
of change referenced to the rotation of the earth on its axis
plus earth's orbit around the sun. What is different?

Is that like what happened when we went from Cycles Per Second to Hertz?

Yes, and it still hertz. :-)

Cecil Moore May 5th 05 01:30 PM

wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
I don't recall clocks being part of the fossil record. :-)

Sure there were -- growth ridges on clams, tree rings, etc.
:-)

Those are merely reflections of changes in the amount of
sunlight. They would cease to exist if the sun changed
and went dark.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Mike Coslo May 6th 05 01:24 AM

Are humans the only beings that "create" time?

I was out for my lunchtime jog today, around the golf course. I was
watching birds take off and land in the breezy conditions. It was
interesting to watch the subtle adjustments they would make, especially
when coming in to land. You could see them adjusting their wings in
several ways to send themselves to where they wanted to land. They would
compensate for wind gusts (and lack of wind).

Point is, I cannot come up with any way in which they can cope with the
randomness of the wind and land in the palce they desire without having
an acute sense of time. They obviously are not counting off seconds or
whatever. But they seem to land where they want to, and must be
predicting it by their flight adjustments.

- Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] May 10th 05 09:57 AM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 07:30:21 -0500, Cecil Moore

Cecil Moore wrote:
I don't recall clocks being part of the fossil record. :-)

Sure there were -- growth ridges on clams, tree rings, etc.
:-)

Those are merely reflections of changes in the amount of
sunlight. They would cease to exist if the sun changed
and went dark.

As, I suspect, would the organisms involved, no?