Old May 11th 05, 08:21 PM
Little O'Me

Default Used 80-6 HF Antenna - What Do I Have?

Greetings to all the resident knowledge in this group.

I am trying to figure out what HF antenna I have. I bought it at an
estate sale. It was mounted in the ground, without radials, but
connected to a ground rod in the ground alongside the antenna. It was
"at the beach", so while it is in overall pretty good shape there is
some corrosion in places, and the UV has gotten to a couple of other
places. I have gotten it on the air, and it covers 80-6 meters. I am
hoping to be able to get a manual and perhaps some replacement parts.

It is SIMILAR to an R7, but it is not an R7. The key points are that
it does not have the base or middle radials, the matching network is
different, the mounting is different and this covers 80-6 meters. It
does have the stubs like an R7, however. I have searched CushCraft,
Hustler, HyGain and Gap, and it does not appear to be a product made
by any of them, based on online manuals of past and present models.
Here goes the description, and I hope someone can point me in the
right direction.

BASE
The base of the antenna is a 10 inch sleeve, 2 inch OD. The antenna
mounts by slipping over a mounting pole, not alongside with U-bolts as
is the case with just about everything else.

MATCHING NETWORK
The matching network, if that's what it is, is a "tuna can", about
1-1/2 inches in diameter and 1-1/2 inches high. There is an SO-239 on
the bottom, which has some corrosion and the coax center conductor is
not making good contact. There are little L-shaped tabs on the top
and bottom, the bottom one going to the skirt/sleeve, and the top to
the start of the radiating element.

SECTION 1
This section is 85 inches long, topped with a 1 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is an L-shaped stub.
Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the next
aluminum section.

SECTION 2
This section is 4 inches long, topped with a 3/4 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is an L-shaped stub.
Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the next
aluminum section.

SECTION 3
This section is 6 inches long, topped with a 3-1/2 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is an L-shaped stub.
Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the next
aluminum section.

SECTION 4
This section is 3-1/4 inches long, topped with a 2 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is an L-shaped stub.
Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the next
aluminum section.

SECTION 5
This section is 12 inches long, topped with a 3 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is a U-shaped stub.
Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the next
aluminum section.

SECTION 6
This section is 24 inches long, topped with a 2-1/4 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is an L-shaped stub.
Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the next
aluminum section.

SECTION 7
This section is 36 inches long, topped with a 6 inch coil the same
diameter as the aluminum tubing. Near the top is an inverted U-shaped
stub. Near the top of the stub is a support which is clamped to the
next aluminum section.

SECTION 8
This section is 76 inches long. Approximately 6 inches from the
bottom are two 24 inch horizontal elements, looking like 12 inch
radials. I suspect these are some form of capacity hat.

That's about it. Any help anyone can provide would really be
appreciated.

73,

Rick, WM6M
Old May 12th 05, 01:09 AM
gb

"Little O'Me" wrote in message
rdnews.com...
[...]

[SNIP}
73,

Rick, WM6M

Rick -

It sounds like you are describing"open coils" (and not enclosed traps)
Sounds like the Bencher HF9VX which is 80 through 6 meters and stands about
26 feet tall. It does not require radials IF the CPK Capacitive
Counterpoise Kit is used.
http://www.bencher.com/hf9vx.html

Manual for 1997 to Present model:
http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00408IZV.pdf

Manual for earlier model 1989 to 1997 (used HF-6 as base)
http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00233IZV.pdf

Bencher any replacement parts you may need (about 5 miles north of my QTH).

w9gb

Old May 12th 05, 01:11 AM
gb

"Little O'Me" wrote in message
rdnews.com...
[...]

Here is the Bencher HF9V Parts List and Diagram
http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00649ZZV.pdf

73 de w9gb

Old May 12th 05, 01:38 AM
gb

"Little O'Me" wrote in message
rdnews.com...
[...]

The base description you say it is like a Cushcraft vertical antenna.
When you said 85" .. I immediately thought of the AV-5 (but it can't run on
6 meters - that I am aware of)
Cushcraft have made many vertical antennas (both 1/2 wave and 1/4 wave);
R3, R4, R5, R6, R6000, R7, R7000, R8 (1/2 waves)
AP8(A), AV-3, AV-4, AV-5
==========================
R5 1/2 wave maintenance and repair
http://home.planet.nl/~fhvgeerligs/Ant/R5/onhr5eng.htm

AP8 (PowerWave)
http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~cmao/ham_radio/ham-04.html

AV-x series (the AV-4 and AV-5 had a "X" capacity hat)
I owned the AV-3 in the 1980s - nice 1/4 wave antenna - does need radials
http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/av3482.pdf

w9gb

Old May 12th 05, 03:19 AM
Little O'Me

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:11:30 -0500, "gb"
wrote:

Hello, and thanks for the reply. The Bencher/Butternut antennas have
airwound coils, and several other sets of radials. Also, the matching
network is different, and they mount TO a pole with U-bolts, and mine
mounts ON the pole. But, thanks anyway for your help.

73,

Rick

ardnews.com...

Old May 12th 05, 03:32 AM
Little O'Me

Thanks, I think we are close! Mine is 9 bands, and easily tunes 6
meters, but otherwise it looks like the AP-8(A).

Thanks for your help here.

73,

Rick

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:38:37 -0500, "gb"
wrote:

ardnews.com...

Old May 12th 05, 03:36 AM
gb

rdnews.com...
wrote:

Hello, and thanks for the reply. The Bencher/Butternut antennas have
airwound coils, and several other sets of radials. Also, the matching
network is different, and they mount TO a pole with U-bolts, and mine
mounts ON the pole. But, thanks anyway for your help.

73,

Rick

Rick -

Well Cushcraft did have a number of models.
Cushcraft does not have all of the documentation for these models on their
web site.

It sounds like you are describing "trombone capacitors" - BUT a photo would
"say a thousand words" of description.

Greg
w9gb

Old May 12th 05, 02:00 PM
gb

"Little O'Me" wrote in message
rdnews.com...

Thanks, I think we are close! Mine is 9 bands, and easily tunes 6
meters, but otherwise it looks like the AP-8(A).

Thanks for your help here.

73,

Rick

I don't remember a 9 band version of the AP8(A). There were AP8 and AP8A
versions. Cushcraft manual for AP8A (1/4 wave - needs radials):
http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/951435.pdf

Cushcraft has since discontinued this model. There are web pages on how to
clean/repair the "trombone traps"

Greg
w9gb

Old May 12th 05, 09:56 PM
gb

"Little O'Me" wrote in message
rdnews.com...
[...]

Good news. I looks like this is a Cushcraft AP8(A) antenna !!

Greg

Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM