Old May 23rd 05, 01:58 PM
Cecil Moore

While measuring the SWR, the needle fluctuates, as the voice is
modulated. Is the "value of SWR" the highest it hits? What's the
convention?

Depends on the inertial dampening of the meter needle.
If you can, use FM mode with zero modulation or simply
plug in a shorted audio plug to your CW key socket.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 23rd 05, 02:36 PM
Richard Fry

wrote
While measuring the SWR, the needle fluctuates, as the voice is
modulated. Is the "value of SWR" the highest it hits? What's the
convention?

______________

Probably the ratio of forward to reflected power in your antenna system does
not change with the power applied to it. But many tx circuits that measure
SWR must be manually calibrated for the forward power in the system in order
for an ~ accurate indication of SWR.

The best accuracy is possible using CW output, after calibrating the SWR
meter for that forward power level. As the average power during voice
modulation usually is less than the rated average power capability of the
tx, the varying SWR readings you see when voice modulating might all be
lower than the true SWR of the antenna system.

RF

Old May 23rd 05, 06:18 PM
Richard Clark

On 23 May 2005 02:11:46 -0700, "
wrote:

Shouting
can easily come down afew decibels, after going up and down the stairs
adjusting the dipole angle and lengths. :-) I don't have a CW key yet.
:-( So what's the other option?

Hi Ramakrishnan,

Give us some more details, like what rig you are using. There is a
chance that it has a "key" button for tune-up already. If you don't
have a CW key, I'm sure you have a screwdriver that would fit into the
jack (#2 Phillips maybe?).

So, as I understand it, you already have a "fan dipole." With uneven
length elements because of their tie-off, you could simply tie-off a
normal length element wire, and let the excess hang down. Take care
to select a tie-off point that is remote from surfaces (this may mean
that more wire hangs down, but this doesn't not seem to be an issue
with your height advantage).

Where in India are you located?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 23rd 05, 06:24 PM
Richard Clark

On 23 May 2005 04:49:08 -0700, "
wrote:
While measuring the SWR, the needle fluctuates, as the voice is
modulated. Is the "value of SWR" the highest it hits? What's the
convention?

Hi Ramakrishnan,

This is why you need to do it with CW, and why you need an external
meter/tuner. Building a meter is actually quite simple (although
recent correspondence here would contest that statement).

SWR should not vary. It is dependant upon the mismatch of the
transmitter to the load alone. When you get variations of SWR
readings depending upon signal strength, the problem is often an issue
of the meter, and then, secondarily, the transmitter's source
resistance. This is why you should tune at the level you are going to
transmit at. You can first get into the neighborhood with lower
levels while tuning (although you lack a tuner) and then boost to the
anticipated power for the last adjustment.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old May 23rd 05, 09:51 PM
Richard Fry

"Richard Clark" wrote
On 23 May 2005 04:49:08 -0700,
wrote:
While measuring the SWR, the needle fluctuates, as the voice is
modulated. Is the "value of SWR" the highest it hits? What's the
convention?

SWR should not vary. It is dependant upon the mismatch of the
transmitter to the load alone. When you get variations of SWR
readings depending upon signal strength, the problem is often an issue
of the meter, and then, secondarily, the transmitter's source
resistance.

_____________

'SWR meters' don't measure SWR directly. They sample the forward and
reflected signals, both of which vary during SSB voice modulation -- even
when the ratio between them (SWR) remains constant.

A variation in forward & reflected readings during SSB modulation is a
normal situation, and not necessarily traceable to the SWR meter, the tx
source Z, a varying antenna system Z, or anything else.

RF

Old May 24th 05, 05:09 AM

Hi Richard,

I am using Icom IC-706 (not the newer one, but the oldest one), got it
from another local ham for a good price. I am using an external SWR
meter, of a friend. (Lafayete is the brand name I can read in the box).

I am located in Bangalore, a city located in the southern part of
India.

73
Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD
http://www.hackGNU.org

Old May 24th 05, 05:15 AM

I found from the manual that I can do CW with the Icom supplied mic.
Wanted to try it yesterday evening, but because of heavy wind and rain,
there was (is still) no power for the whole of yesterday night untill
now. Hopefully today evening I will try it out.

I am scared about transmitting, as costly stuff like a transceiver can
be difficult to get repaired in India. Sending it abroad for repair
costs as much as I would pay for a new transceiver!

73
Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD
http://www.hackGNU.org/

Old May 24th 05, 07:16 AM
Richard Clark

On 23 May 2005 21:09:39 -0700, "
wrote:

I am using Icom IC-706 (not the newer one, but the oldest one), got it
from another local ham for a good price. I am using an external SWR
meter, of a friend. (Lafayete is the brand name I can read in the box).

Hi Ramakrishnan,

This rig is sure feature loaded. If you don't have the manual, visit:
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/m...c-706mkiig.pdf
As I suspected, a #2 Phillips will do the job of key-down. I didn't
take the time to wade through the manual - my taste in gear runs
towards surface mount meaning a single component that can be held
between two fingers, and the markings can still be read without heavy
lensing.

I presume you don't have the optional tuner, otherwise we wouldn't be
talking about SWR.

The external SWR meter is good enough (does it agree with the ICOM
front panel indicator?). Do you have a dummy load to test it against?
If so, we can proceed along those lines too.

http://www.hackGNU.org

Your weblog has crashed by the way.

You should also be following the thread
"Laport's 'Radio Antenna Engineering' available"
and downloading a copy if you are not bandwidth restricted. Laport is
one of the more accessible writers on the craft of antenna design.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 24th 05, 07:25 AM
Richard Clark

On 23 May 2005 21:15:25 -0700, "
wrote:

I found from the manual that I can do CW with the Icom supplied mic.
Wanted to try it yesterday evening, but because of heavy wind and rain,
there was (is still) no power for the whole of yesterday night untill
now. Hopefully today evening I will try it out.

I am scared about transmitting, as costly stuff like a transceiver can
be difficult to get repaired in India. Sending it abroad for repair
costs as much as I would pay for a new transceiver!

Hi Ramakrishnan,

And especially for such a small form factor. Most of the reviews I've
seen have been quite positive. The few negatives were about software.
However, I would point out that in regard to my last maxim about you
never building just one antenna; you never own just one rig. Get a
"beater" that you can get a soldering iron into without melting the
front panel at the same time. Maybe even one with (gasp) tubes. The
Ruskis are still building tubes, it seems, so at least surface
shipping shouldn't cost as much there.

Also, invest in a decent battery (car battery size) using your power
supply as a float charger. Then you can even out the power shortages.
In this case, however, a tube rig may be stretching the limits of a
battery. In that case, think of 20-25 year old transistor rigs (where
the ICs are TTL only). This stuff is easily field serviceable (I
know, because I've raised several from the dead).

This is all part of the "flexibility" you should plan on, as I also
mentioned before.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC