Old May 25th 05, 02:52 AM
Joel Kolstad

Walt,

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
Pictures showing the beacons and the technician attaching them to the

balloon
material will appear in my book Reflections 3, which is now in the

production
stage.

I swear it wasn't THAT long ago you released Reflections 2!

I have a suggestion for a topic to cover: The infamous discussion of, "How can
rho be 1 on a transmission line (terminated in a passive network)?"

---Joel Kolstad

Old May 25th 05, 02:30 PM
W9DMK

Dear Russ,

I appreciate the correction. Obviously the spelling was correct as it
was and the story that I had been told about it must be apocryphal. I
suppose even the surname (Familiename) Wullenweber would be a
corruption of Wollenweber. Your reference to the history of the system
proved quite interesting. Obviously, I was also wrong about the
location - although Augsberg is certainly not that far from Stuttgart
- Hi. When I lived in Wiesbaden many years ago I should have traveled
to the site and had a peak at it.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
Replace "nobody" with my callsign for e-mail
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora/f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html

Old May 27th 05, 07:18 PM
Walter Maxwell

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
Walt,

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
Pictures showing the beacons and the technician attaching them to the

balloon
material will appear in my book Reflections 3, which is now in the

production
stage.

I swear it wasn't THAT long ago you released Reflections 2!

I have a suggestion for a topic to cover: The infamous discussion of, "How can
rho be 1 on a transmission line (terminated in a passive network)?"

---Joel Kolstad

Hi Joel,

I tried to respond via Agent, which is my browser of preference, but as of
trying to respond to your post I can no longer access Agent to send. Still
don't know why. This is the reason for the delayed response.

Anyway thanks for your interest in Reflections. The second Ed was released May
2001 and was sold out early in 2004. Been workin' on the 3rd ever since. A new
Chapter 23 will have a new analysis of the quarter-wavelength transmission-line
transformer, to correct some misleading material in the original copy. The new
edition will also have some details on my development of the antennas that flew
on the World's first wx satellites, as well as some of the quadrifilar helix
antennas now flying on NOAA's polar-orbiting satellites.

Concerning a topic on rho 1, of course this involves lossy lines, which I have
never studied very thoroughly, so I'm not about to expose my ignorance in that
area. However, R.A.Chipman discusses it well in Schaum's Outline of Theory and
Problems of Transmission Lines. Recommended reading.

Walt, W2DU

Old May 28th 05, 12:12 AM
Joel Kolstad

Hi Walt,

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
news
Concerning a topic on rho 1, of course this involves lossy lines, which I

have
never studied very thoroughly, so I'm not about to expose my ignorance in

that
area. However, R.A.Chipman discusses it well in Schaum's Outline of Theory

and
Problems of Transmission Lines. Recommended reading.

OK! Aas a matter of fact, I've scanned in Chipman's book (it's available at
http://oregonstate.edu/~kolstadj/ as "Transmission Lines (Chipman).pdf"), but
I haven't actually had time to read any significant chunk of it yet.

---Joel

Old May 28th 05, 01:36 AM
Walter Maxwell

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
Hi Walt,

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
news
Concerning a topic on rho 1, of course this involves lossy lines, which I

have
never studied very thoroughly, so I'm not about to expose my ignorance in

that
area. However, R.A.Chipman discusses it well in Schaum's Outline of Theory

and
Problems of Transmission Lines. Recommended reading.

OK! Aas a matter of fact, I've scanned in Chipman's book (it's available at
http://oregonstate.edu/~kolstadj/ as "Transmission Lines (Chipman).pdf"), but
I haven't actually had time to read any significant chunk of it yet.

---Joel

Yep, you've got Chipman nailed down! His tome is one of my bibles. The others
are Kraus' Antennas, and Ed Laport's Radio Antenna Engineering. I have scanned
Laport to a CD, which I'll send you a copy unless you already have one. It's too
large to email, and I don't yet have it available on my web page. So let me know
if you'd like a copy. It's also a gold mine.

Walt, W2DU

Old May 28th 05, 02:16 AM
Joel Kolstad

Hi Walt,

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
Yep, you've got Chipman nailed down! His tome is one of my bibles. The

others
are Kraus' Antennas, and Ed Laport's Radio Antenna Engineering.

I have Kraus' book (the last edition printed! -- now that Dr. Kraus has died,
it'll be interesting to see if Ronald Marhefka releases another edition of
it?) and Laport's book from
http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/. Is that the same
scan you have?

I tried to build a 2.4GHz helical antenna based on the information in Kraus'
book some 3 or so years ago now, but unfortunately it didn't work. Having
access to a network analyzer these days would probably improve my odds...!

Thanks,
--Joel

Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM