Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 06:03 PM
R. Scott
 
Posts: n/a
Default largest Ham Antenna ever :)

In going with the current LONG thread. Whats the largest you've seen.
Here is mine.

I cannot confirm it nor find it. But in California (near the Bay Area
where I was stationed at Moffett) I remember seeing a Giant 3 elem beam
with Rohn 25 as the mast. I believe a Ham Friend of mine said it was an
80m Shorty (But it just seemed to unreal for me)

In Diego Garcia we used 3 Mono banders made from 2 Log Periodics the
Comsta gave them. The 20m was 7 or 8 elems. Was huge.



--
Rick
Everett, Washington
Remove THREAD to reply.

  #2   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 06:35 PM
Richard Clark
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:03:26 GMT, "R. Scott"
wrote:

In going with the current LONG thread. Whats the largest you've seen.
Here is mine.


Hi Rick,

Drive 20 miles north east to Arlington. Find your way to Jim Creek,
and follow the signs to the Naval Station in the valley.

Look up. (if the rain ever lets up)

2400 foot vertical with a 1 square mile top hat.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 06:45 PM
Richard Clark
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:35:22 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

2400 foot vertical with a 1 square mile top hat.


Hmmm,

On reflection, that isn't in the Ham bands is it?

Well, it should be! That and Amateur Radar (and even AHAARP).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

  #4   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 07:31 PM
Dave Platt
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
R. Scott wrote:

In going with the current LONG thread. Whats the largest you've seen.
Here is mine.

I cannot confirm it nor find it. But in California (near the Bay Area
where I was stationed at Moffett) I remember seeing a Giant 3 elem beam
with Rohn 25 as the mast. I believe a Ham Friend of mine said it was an
80m Shorty (But it just seemed to unreal for me)


I've been told that the gent who owns the Ham Radio Outlet dealership
chain has a site located in the hills south of San Jose, and that it
includes a 3-element 80-meter rotatable beam. I was told that the
whole setup is managed by remote control - the owner lives elsewhere,
and accesses the transceivers and antenna controls via a landline
connection of some sort.

Haven't seen it myself... it would certainly be impressive!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Hosting the Jade Warrior home page: http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will
boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!
  #5   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 07:44 PM
R. Scott
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Richard Clark wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:35:22 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

2400 foot vertical with a 1 square mile top hat.


Hmmm,

On reflection, that isn't in the Ham bands is it?

Well, it should be! That and Amateur Radar (and even AHAARP).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC


Yea Im just looking for the Ham Band types. Ive used Bigger (Comsta
Bullrings) but you know, there is practicality

Scotty N7HJ

--
Rick
Everett, Washington
Remove THREAD to reply.
#! rnews 1125
Xref: xyzzy comp.security.misc:97966
Newsgroups: comp.security.misc
Path: xyzzy!nntp
From: "JJonson"
Subject: Prosumer Firewall router?
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: anc68cp221.sw.nos.boeing.com
Message-ID:
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Priority: 3
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
Lines: 14
Sender: (Boeing NNTP News Access)
Organization: The Boeing Company
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:45:14 GMT

I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use their
features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow you to
set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block out
access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for example
have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking eveything else in a
time window.

Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to set
access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window? This for
a small home network behind a cable modem.

thanks


#! rnews 1734
Xref: xyzzy comp.dcom.lans.ethernet:59646
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Path: xyzzy!nntp
From: "JJonson"
Subject: Prosumer router?
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: anc68cp221.sw.nos.boeing.com
Message-ID:
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Priority: 3
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
Lines: 28
Sender:
(Boeing NNTP News Access)
Organization: The Boeing Company
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
References:
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:46:30 GMT

thats a good point. I really was looking for more plug and play. I can see
myself spending inordinate amout of time working the kinks out of a linus
version.
"James Knott" wrote in message
...
JJonson wrote:

I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use
their
features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow you
to
set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block
out access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for
example have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking

eveything
else in a time window.

Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to

set
access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window? This
for a small home network behind a cable modem.


You could roll your own, using Linux. That would give you as much
flexibility as you want. Also, some of the Linksys models run Linux and
there are many patches available, to add funtion to the box.



#! rnews 2308
Xref: xyzzy comp.dcom.lans.ethernet:59647
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Path: xyzzy!nntp
From: "JJonson"
Subject: Prosumer router?
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: anc68cp221.sw.nos.boeing.com
Message-ID:
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Priority: 3
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
Lines: 49
Sender:
(Boeing NNTP News Access)
Organization: The Boeing Company
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
References:
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:47:38 GMT

thats a good point. I guess I can see enterprise systems having that time
based feature either.


"Al Dykes" wrote in message
...
In article ,
James Knott wrote:
JJonson wrote:

I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use
their
features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow

you
to
set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block
out access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for
example have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking

eveything
else in a time window.

Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to

set
access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window?

This
for a small home network behind a cable modem.


You could roll your own, using Linux. That would give you as much
flexibility as you want. Also, some of the Linksys models run Linux and
there are many patches available, to add funtion to the box.



Linksys has some "better" products that probably come out of the Cicso
takeover that have lots more features. IMO time restrictions are a
comsumer feaure and these are corporate products so you may be out of
luck. SMC makes some nice network products too.

For Linksys Take a look at this: (Scroll down)


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...b Category=28

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.





  #6   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 07:57 PM
Frank
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:03:26 GMT, "R. Scott"
wrote:

In going with the current LONG thread. Whats the largest you've seen.
Here is mine.


Hi Rick,

Drive 20 miles north east to Arlington. Find your way to Jim Creek,
and follow the signs to the Naval Station in the valley.

Look up. (if the rain ever lets up)

2400 foot vertical with a 1 square mile top hat.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC


Anybody seen that massive antenna farm, just off I95, on the north west
side of Trenton NJ? Often wondered what it was.

73,

Frank


  #7   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 08:26 PM
Brian Kelly
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
R. Scott wrote:

In going with the current LONG thread. Whats the largest you've

seen.
Here is mine.

I cannot confirm it nor find it. But in California (near the Bay

Area
where I was stationed at Moffett) I remember seeing a Giant 3 elem

beam
with Rohn 25 as the mast. I believe a Ham Friend of mine said it

was an
80m Shorty (But it just seemed to unreal for me)


I've been told that the gent who owns the Ham Radio Outlet dealership
chain has a site located in the hills south of San Jose, and that it
includes a 3-element 80-meter rotatable beam. I was told that the
whole setup is managed by remote control - the owner lives elsewhere,
and accesses the transceivers and antenna controls via a landline
connection of some sort.

Haven't seen it myself... it would certainly be impressive!


Force 12 has a 3 elemnent 80M beam in their catalog. 61 foot boom, 52
foot turning radius with 83 foot shortened elements. A beast.

http://force12inc.com/F12-specs-mag-r1-0.htm

Dave Platt AE6EO


w3rv

  #8   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 10:52 PM
Bob Miller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:45:57 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:35:22 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

2400 foot vertical with a 1 square mile top hat.


Hmmm,

On reflection, that isn't in the Ham bands is it?

Well, it should be! That and Amateur Radar (and even AHAARP).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC


Isn't there a guy in Texas with an 80 meter beam?

And then there's w8ji & his 300 foot tower on his old cow farm.

bob
k5qwg


  #9   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 05, 11:05 PM
Jim Kelley
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Bob Miller wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:45:57 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:


On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:35:22 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:


2400 foot vertical with a 1 square mile top hat.


Hmmm,

On reflection, that isn't in the Ham bands is it?

Well, it should be! That and Amateur Radar (and even AHAARP).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC



Isn't there a guy in Texas with an 80 meter beam?

And then there's w8ji & his 300 foot tower on his old cow farm.

bob
k5qwg


I always thought the biggest ham antenna was supposedly the old W6AM
rhombic on Palos Verdes peninsula.

http://home.swipnet.se/dx/porthole/w6am1.htm








  #10   Report Post  
Old May 24th 05, 02:17 AM
Richard Clark
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:05:03 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:
I always thought the biggest ham antenna was supposedly the old W6AM
rhombic on Palos Verdes peninsula.

http://home.swipnet.se/dx/porthole/w6am1.htm


Hi Jim,

Any picture that requires a satellite view must qualify as BIG.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017