Old May 25th 05, 10:25 PM
funkbastler

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:14:36 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Oh yeah, we will get right on that--run one OS so we can run another right
on top of it...

Not exactly - Cygwin just loads a *nix sort of API (in the form of a DLL)
on top of Windows - not the whole OS.

Dual boot, run your games in windows, go linux for root hacking... don't
run windows, so you can run linux on top of it, so you can go root hacking
into the old guys computers here... they arent' a challenge anyway--go beat
up on other teenagers...

No need for dual boot - use dual computers. The good one here runs Linux,
the clunker has Windows. Cygwin is mandatory on the windows machine for
those times when I want the power and flexibility of a real OS.

BTW - Cygwin apps can be run from a CDROM without installing on the host
machine. Very nice for those of us who are stuck with Windows on our
machines at work.

--
-fb-

Old May 25th 05, 11:40 PM
John Smith

That is why everyone uses windows, mandrake and redhat--so they don't have
to learn an OS!!! You are a GUI user! frown

Warmest regards,
John
"funkbastler" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:58:24 -0700, "John Smith"

wrote:

Linux warriors unite!!! ROFLOL!!!

Linux From Scratch has 'em all beat, all you need is the linux kernel and
you build your own OS... plus, then you can claim you are a REAL unix
user...

Tried Gentoo - spent too much time playing with the OS instead of getting
things done :-) Went back to RedHat.

--
-fb-

Old May 27th 05, 03:28 AM
Hal Rosser

must be like ''webstripper''

"John Smith" wrote in message
Sometimes, a guy just finds a whole website he would like to examine in
detail--when offline. Such as downloading it your laptop and taking it on
vacation with you, on a plane, lunch hour at work, etc...

Here is a link to Httrack, a program which will do that for you...
becareful about setting it to ignore robot rules and turning it lose on a
LARGE website... you could be downloading for days...
http://www.httrack.com

Warmest regards,
John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right
before my eyes--in real time!

Old May 27th 05, 04:42 AM
John Smith

There are many, I don't know about webstripper--however, there was one--I
think it was/is called "WebFerrit"--it had spyware in it...
I am pretty sure the software I recommend does not contain such evil junk...
however, one should always double-check everyone and everything... I simply
trust it enough to use it and mention Httrack...

One should always read some reviews and see if there is any mention of
malicious code included in an app before one installs it--and, maybe wait
awhile after new software is released, let others find out about it before
taking a chance... and ALWAYS, ALWAYS download from sites you trust--if you
don't trust them, wait a bit till ya know more!!!

.... just some thoughts on the matter...

Warmest regards,
John

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
must be like ''webstripper''

Old May 29th 05, 09:57 PM
Bob Bob

Not that I advocate websuck of porn sites... However;

These tools rely on following links just as you would when you are web
browsing. Porn sites often have user/password access that may or may not
set a level of security that would make anonymous downloading some
what more difficult. It kind of depends on how the developer has written
their code. If for example the user/password combination only points you
to a unrestricted URL not linked from the main/anonymous page then it is
only a matter of using that URL in your wget etc session.

No doubt searching through newsgroups (google etc) would give you the
pattern that the developer used and even with a series of for/next loops
in the wget etc script. You could let it sit there for days on end going
through all the possible alpha/numeric combinations of folder/filenames
to get what you are after!

To give you an idea what is possible, I wrote some test code to extract
a database from a website where the URL was of the form;

http://www.vv.gov.au/data/record?rec=104468

By using a for/next loop of sequential record nunbers and making the
record number a replacable variable I would have been able to suck the
entire database down. Useless to me mind you but all very possible.

What has been useful for me (keeping it OT) was that I sucked the entire
http://www.cebik.com antenna website to my local drive so lookups and
browsing is much faster. I periodically used the refresh/update feature
as the website changes. Some may question the legality/copywrite issues
of this but since it is for my personal use I doubt there is a problem.

Cheers Bob