Old June 16th 05, 01:13 PM
wb5cys

Default Adjusting Resonant Frequency

Considering a wire dipole (or inverted V) does bending the end of a leg back
and wrapping it around itself electrically shorten the antenna or must it be
cut in order to change the resonant frequency?

Old June 16th 05, 02:12 PM
Dave

if it is insulated wire it must be cut, if its not then it doesn't. though
you will see some effect of folding it back even with insulated wire it
won't be the same as cutting the wire shorter.

m...

Old June 16th 05, 02:56 PM
Fred W4JLE

That being the case, can I just keep folding back a 120 foot insulated wire
dipole until it is say 5 or 6 foot long and it will still be resonant on
the original frequency?

"Dave" wrote in message
if it is insulated wire it must be cut, if its not then it doesn't.

though
you will see some effect of folding it back even with insulated wire it
won't be the same as cutting the wire shorter.

m...

Old June 16th 05, 03:42 PM
Buck

"Dave" wrote in message
if it is insulated wire it must be cut, if its not then it doesn't.

though
you will see some effect of folding it back even with insulated wire it
won't be the same as cutting the wire shorter.

No one said it would be resonant on the SAME frequency, just that
there will be some effect. I have heard about an antenna design for a
shortened dipole using 3-conductor home electrical wire. At one end,
the green is connected to the cobra-head and the black and white wires
are soldered together. At the other end, the black is soldered to the
green. Viola -- a linear loaded dipole!

I haven't tried it, but if it works, you may very well get your
desired frequency with folded wire. I would strongly suspect it will
be a compromise antenna as opposed to one with a gain, though.

--
73 for now
Buck

Old June 16th 05, 10:38 PM

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
What's a Cobra head?

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

As I recall it is a commercial name for a center insulator for the
common dipole. It was narrow at the bottom to accept the feed line,
and flared out at the top for connection to the dipole elements. With
the transmission line connected it sorta looked like the head of a
cobra snake. I haven't seen a cobra in person, nor have I saw a cobra
head insulator. I think I would like to keep it that way.
Gary N4AST

Old June 16th 05, 10:56 PM
Buck

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:12:50 GMT, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

What's a Cobra head?

Back in the good-ole-days, a cobra head was a triangle shaped device
that had an SO-239 on one corner and connections for the wires of a
dipole on the other two corners. One went to the center conductor and
the other went to the shield side. Then Baluns became popular and now
instead of cobra heads, most people have baluns. However, at that
time in ham radio, "Cobra head" was a generic term that meant the
piece to connect the wires of a dipole to a piece of coax.

--
73 for now
Buck
Old June 16th 05, 11:57 PM
Bob Miller

wrote:

What's a Cobra head?

Back in the good-ole-days, a cobra head was a triangle shaped device
that had an SO-239 on one corner and connections for the wires of a
dipole on the other two corners. One went to the center conductor and
the other went to the shield side. Then Baluns became popular and now
instead of cobra heads, most people have baluns. However, at that
time in ham radio, "Cobra head" was a generic term that meant the
piece to connect the wires of a dipole to a piece of coax.

B&W still sells a cobra head center insulator...

http://www.bwantennas.com/pro/support.pro.htm

I'm trying to figure out how they get $179 for it.

bob
k5qwg

Old June 17th 05, 04:31 AM
Buck

B&W still sells a cobra head center insulator...

http://www.bwantennas.com/pro/support.pro.htm

I'm trying to figure out how they get $179 for it.

bob
k5qwg

Does it come with an antenna?

--