Old June 30th 05, 02:02 AM
Gary

Default Radials for a Vertical ?

I'm thinking of buying a used Hustler 6BTV vertical ( 80 thru 10
coverage) and was wondering about how many radials I'd need and how
long they should be ? If I do get it, I'd be ground mounting the
vertical and planting the radials about 1 - 2 inches deep in soil
that's mainly clay.

Thanks in advance.

73 Gary

Old June 30th 05, 02:27 AM
Chuck Olson

"Gary" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a used Hustler 6BTV vertical ( 80 thru 10
coverage) and was wondering about how many radials I'd need and how
long they should be ? If I do get it, I'd be ground mounting the
vertical and planting the radials about 1 - 2 inches deep in soil
that's mainly clay.

Thanks in advance.

73 Gary

You might want to think about hardware cloth - - half inch screen dipped in
zinc - - virtually one continuous sheet, solderable and resistant to weather
and moisture. It comes in a 36" width, and I bought about 100 ft of it for
my ground-mounted 6-band Butternut. The results have been excellent. People
use cars and trailers for their counterpoise - - but this makes a much
bigger one, with a lot more capacitance to ground. You can then sod over it
or put in plastic sheeting and pebbles - - whatever you like. The only thing
you need to settle is to get your sprinklers arranged ahead of time so you
don't have to trench through under the hardware cloth.

73, Chuck W6PKP

Old June 30th 05, 04:37 AM
'Doc

Gary,
The general 'generic' answer is as many as you can stand to
put in, and as long as you can make them. Usually, the length is a 1/4
wave (or sort of close) for the lowest frequency of use. Don't have
that much room? Then make them as long as possible. The more you put
down the 'better' it'll be. That's where the 'as many as you can stand'
comes in. At some point you'll be ready to quit, so quit...
'Doc

PS - The 'text book' answer? Not really, but probably the average one.
Old June 30th 05, 08:34 AM
Gary

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:27:54 -0700, "Chuck Olson"
wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ok, thanks Chuck ... 73 Gary K8IQ

Old June 30th 05, 08:35 AM
Gary

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:37:48 GMT, 'Doc wrote:

Gary,
The general 'generic' answer is as many as you can stand to
put in, and as long as you can make them. Usually, the length is a 1/4
wave (or sort of close) for the lowest frequency of use. Don't have
that much room? Then make them as long as possible. The more you put
down the 'better' it'll be. That's where the 'as many as you can stand'
comes in. At some point you'll be ready to quit, so quit...
'Doc

PS - The 'text book' answer? Not really, but probably the average one.

Thanks Doc ! .... 73 Gary K8IQ

Old June 30th 05, 08:35 PM
Gary

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:24:52 GMT, Jim Higgins wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:02:02 -0400, in
, Gary
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a used Hustler 6BTV vertical ( 80 thru 10
coverage) and was wondering about how many radials I'd need and how
long they should be ? If I do get it, I'd be ground mounting the
vertical and planting the radials about 1 - 2 inches deep in soil
that's mainly clay.

5BTV here, ground mounted. I found that 4 radials cut for 40M
and buried as you paln to do gave a marked improvement on all
bands. More and longer if you can. You'll need to readjust the
antenna for best SWR after installing radials.

Thanks for the info Jim. 73 Gary
Old July 1st 05, 01:51 AM
Mark

Here is an additional question.

I have to mount my 40/80 vertical in a place where it can be hidden by
trees, which means against the back fence in my yard. I can only put
radials to cover 180 degrees. I assume my signal will radiate best in that
direction. What kind of radiation will I get toward the side of the antenna
without the radials?

Mark, KJ7BS

Old July 1st 05, 02:42 AM
Larry Benko

Mark,

This month's edition of QEX (July/Aug. 2005) has an article
addressing your question with a simulation matching your
question exactly. Bottom line: put as many radials as long as
possible in your yard and don't worry about it. The simulation
with 60 1/4 wavelength radials in a 180 degree arc only resulted
in a 1.67dB difference in signal strengths from the radial
direction to the no radial direction.

73,
Larry, W0QE

Old July 1st 05, 05:37 AM
'Doc

Mark,
Good question! There will be ~some~ gain/loss of signal in
various directions. Probably won't be much gain or loss,
just depends on 'other' things (how near the fence, fence made
of wood/metal, and other mysterious things). Wouldn't worry
too much about it, and if it really bothers you, sneak a radial
or two under the fence for a ways. Hide it well and don't get
caught running stuff in your neighbor's yard!
'Doc