Old November 13th 03, 04:02 PM
mfc

Default antenna

Could someone tell me how to make a single-wire antenna that can pick
up TV channel 5? I just need to know what length is best and what
material to use.

Thank you.
Old November 13th 03, 04:10 PM
Cecil Moore

mfc wrote:
Could someone tell me how to make a single-wire antenna that can pick
up TV channel 5? I just need to know what length is best and what
material to use.

VHF Channel 5 is centered around 79 MHz. So two 3 foot pieces of
aluminum tubing connected in the center to a piece of 75 ohm coax
should do the job.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 13th 03, 10:44 PM
mfc

Hmmm... Could you explain why I need two pieces? Why can't I just
have one 3 foot piece of wire?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old November 13th 03, 11:10 PM
Reg Edwards

Could someone tell me how to make a single-wire antenna that can pick
up TV channel 5? I just need to know what length is best and what
material to use.

Just get a length of any sort of wire and poke one end in the antenna socket
you will find at the rear of the receiver. Get rid of the wire insulation
at the receiver end.

If the signal is weak you will need something a little more elaborate. But
if you are not too far from the transmitter it may work first time.

Old November 13th 03, 11:42 PM
JGBOYLES

Could you explain why I need two pieces? Why can't I just
have one 3 foot piece of wire?

Two pieces will work better than one piece. One piece will work, just not as
well. The explanation of why one doesn't work as well as two is complex. As
others have stated, one piece of wire will work, and the length or orentiation
may not be critical.
73 Gary N4AST
Old November 14th 03, 12:16 AM
Cecil Moore

mfc wrote:
Hmmm... Could you explain why I need two pieces? Why can't I just
have one 3 foot piece of wire?

Basically, the center of the six foot section has an impedance that
closely matches the impedance of the 75 ohm coax. It's called a
center-fed dipole (two poles broken in the center). Or you could
use rabbit ears which are also broken in the center.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 14th 03, 12:21 AM
Cecil Moore

Richard Fry wrote:
Be gentle...

:-) I am accepting of ignorance, Richard. In a lot of fields and ways, I
am extremely ignorant. What I find hard to accept is someone's alleged
wisdom when they are obviously ignorant. That includes most holier-than-
thou religious people who are somehow magically privy to the ultimate in
wisdom.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 14th 03, 05:34 AM
Irv Finkleman

JGBOYLES wrote:

Could you explain why I need two pieces? Why can't I just
have one 3 foot piece of wire?

Two pieces will work better than one piece. One piece will work, just not as
well. The explanation of why one doesn't work as well as two is complex. As
others have stated, one piece of wire will work, and the length or orentiation
may not be critical.
73 Gary N4AST

The 'two piece' job can be a set of rabbit ears. One advantage is that
it will be directional and may help if you have a ghosting problem. If
the signal is sufficient, sometimes just a hunk of wire hanging off the
back of the set will be enough.
--
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old November 14th 03, 02:32 PM
mfc

How critical is it that I remove the insulation? I noticed that my
alarm clock has an antenna that is just an insulated wire.

Thanks for the help.

..