Old November 20th 03, 01:23 AM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Given your propensity for hyperbole, if we can't agree that there are
differences between the transient and steady states, I don't think we'll
have too much luck discussing the subject further.

Maybe you had better list those differences, one by one, so we can agree
or disagree.

Do you really think you're in any postion to be able to speak for
Feynman?

Just read one of his books. He says, "An electron emits or absorbs an
electron." "Absorbs" and "combines" sure seems like the same thing to me.

Things don't work that way. A photon could on the other hand impart
some or all of its energy to an electron.

When a photon imparts its energy to an electron, doesn't that "combine"
the two energies? What am I missing? Also, please describe how a photon
could impart half its energy to an electron. Is the result half a photon?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 20th 03, 03:20 PM
Dave Shrader

Severely SNIPPED

When a photon imparts its energy to an electron, doesn't that "combine"
the two energies? What am I missing? Also, please describe how a photon
could impart half its energy to an electron. Is the result half a photon?

A photon is modeled as energy as a function of wavelength.

There are high energy photons, gamma rays. [energies at 0.5 MeV and higher]

There are medium energy photons, X rays. [energies at 0.5 KeV to 0.5 MeV]

There are low energy photons, radio [EM] waves. [Energies below 0.05 KeV]

Electrons are bound in their atomic orbits with energies from a few tens
of eVs to about 300 KeV. [My cross section tables were retired when I
was.][And these energy levels are different for all materials.]

Apply conservation of energy, under the poor assumption of a 100%
absorption factor [actually a probability distribution is more
appropriate] and it's easy to see that gamma rays surrender ONLY a
portion of their energy as they interact with electrons. Elementary
Example: 1 MeV photon interacts with and 100% ionizes a H atom releasing
2 electrons totaling about 40 KeV. So, the forward traveling photon's
energy changed from 1 MeV to 960 KeV. [i.e. a change in wavelength
occurred for the photon ... in radio terms it retuned to a lower
frequency band.] Conservation of energy applies to the photon.
Conservation of energy also applies to the ionized electron. When it
recombines with an ionized H atom the energy may be released in various
forms including a 40 KeV photon, or heat, or both.

Medium energy photons also conserve energy. The Absorptions cross
sections for most materials are several orders of magnitude larger than
for gamma rays but the principle is still the same. There is an
additional case where a photon may be absorbed but the energy is
insufficient to fully ionized the atom. In these cases there is a
transient increase to an excited state for the electrons and a
subsequent release of energy, mostly as heat but also a lower energy
photon [EM noise source] is created.

So, Cecil to answer your basic question: "The energy in the photon
changes [decreases] when there is an interaction with an electron."

Corollary: "The energy level in the electron changes [increases] when it
absorbs energy from a photon."

Deacon Dave

Old November 20th 03, 04:58 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:
Just read one of his books. He says, "An electron emits or absorbs an
electron." "Absorbs" and "combines" sure seems like the same thing to me.

Note that he did not use the word combine. Do you think that was an
oversight on his part?

73, Jim AC6XG
Old November 20th 03, 09:27 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:20:18 GMT, Dave Shrader
wrote:
Medium energy photons also conserve energy.

Hi Dave,

Such responses wholly lack the context of RF, where the energy of a
Photon is NOT imparted to ANY single atom as there is absolutely no
elemental atom that supports the necessary de Broglie wavelength for
this to occur. Nor does it occur for any molecule at the atomic
scale. It must then be a product of the super-Macro scale (of course,
at the wavelength involved) in the far far conduction bands.

One may argue the conservation of energy, but the energy of such
photons are incredibly weak, they in no sense qualify as "medium
energy" (qualifiers are not necessary).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 29th 03, 07:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
Onward through the fog.

I've added some information concerning this subject to my web page.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 29th 03, 09:13 PM
Reg Edwards

I've added some information concerning this subject to my web page.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

================================

What's new Cec?
It's fairly obvious stuff.
Of what use is it?
Can you describe it in numbers?

Old November 30th 03, 01:40 AM
Jimmy

A coil change current distibution in an antenna but then again so does the
length of antenna that the coil replaces.
lumped inductance = lumped change in current. distributed inductance =
distributed change in current. Is there more to it than that?

Old November 30th 03, 04:09 AM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
It's fairly obvious stuff.

Not to everyone, Reg.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 30th 03, 04:12 AM
Cecil Moore

Jimmy wrote:
lumped inductance = lumped change in current.

Actually, I think the assertion was that
lumped inductance = no change in current.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 30th 03, 08:15 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
What's new Cec?
It's fairly obvious stuff.

Reg, just for you, I have added some background information to that
web page. The underlying physics are obviously not so obvious to
the other side of the argument.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/current.htm