Old August 20th 05, 12:29 AM
Cecil Moore

Default VF > 1.0???

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...fastlight.html

Old August 20th 05, 01:42 AM
Fred W4JLE

Anyone who has ever watched Startrek knows the light speed limitation is
incorrect.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
http://www.livescience.com/technolog...fastlight.html

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old August 20th 05, 02:04 AM
John Smith

Cecil:

If I understand a lot of data which has been gathered, it tends to imply
"things" can go faster than the speed of light. The princeton egg project
is working on the edge of such things:

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

.... interesting stuff...

John

Old August 20th 05, 04:19 AM
Wes Stewart

wrote:

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...fastlight.html

Wow. They invented waveguide.
Old August 20th 05, 02:16 PM
Ham op

If your Physics is learned from Startrek you may have a problem!

Read the article! The critical statement, IMO, is quoted:

" ... By tweaking the relationship between phase velocities, it’s
possible to
adjust the group velocity and create the illusion that parts of the pulse
are traveling faster than the speed of light. ..."

Note the word "ILLUSION"

Old August 20th 05, 05:00 PM
Fred W4JLE

Sorry I forgot to put in a winking emoticon for the clueless. I thought that
it was obvious that it was a joke.

Old August 21st 05, 01:15 AM
Roy Lewallen

For those folks who aren't all that familiar with transmission lines. .

Velocity factor refers to phase velocity, and the VF of all hollow
waveguides is 1.0.

Of course, the group velocity is always 1.0, and that's the rate at
which information can be conveyed. I don't believe for a minute that
this rule has been broken.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old August 21st 05, 01:48 AM
John Smith

Fred:

I don't believe that anyone has demonstrated faster than light
transmission of an energy, wave or particle, where the effect is
duplicable on demand, yet...

I do believe it will be done in the future, hopefully the rather near
future... but it will can only be done by people who are searching for
way--the scoffers will never, ever be able to present us with a method
to do so--on that you can bet heavily!

John

Old August 21st 05, 03:49 AM
Fred W4JLE

John, picture if you will, an observer on earth watches a spacecraft pass
between the moon and the sun at 99.9%C. The occupant of the space craft
knows that the distance is about 93 million miles and clicks his stopwatch
as he passes the moon, and again as he passes the sun. Given the time and
distance, he computes his speed (measured with his slowed down time piece)
and concludes he has exceeded C. Ergo there must be analogs of C. What say
you?

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
Fred:

I don't believe that anyone has demonstrated faster than light
transmission of an energy, wave or particle, where the effect is
duplicable on demand, yet...

I do believe it will be done in the future, hopefully the rather near
future... but it will can only be done by people who are searching for
way--the scoffers will never, ever be able to present us with a method
to do so--on that you can bet heavily!

John

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:42:58 -0400, Fred W4JLE wrote:

Anyone who has ever watched Startrek knows the light speed limitation is
incorrect.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
http://www.livescience.com/technolog...fastlight.html

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+
Newsgroups

=----

Old August 21st 05, 04:47 AM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
I don't believe that anyone has demonstrated faster than light
transmission of an energy, wave or particle, where the effect is
duplicable on demand, yet...

Entangled particles may not violate the letter of the speed
of light limit but they certainly violate the spirit of the
limit. When man figures out how to change the entangled particle
generation pattern from random to predictable, we will have
faster than light communications. It's just a matter of time. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp