Old August 23rd 05, 04:00 AM
Walter Maxwell

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:55:26 -0400, Pat Cox
wrote:

Mr. Moseley's first name was Carl. He was known on the air as "the Old Man
Himself." I worked him on 40 cw when I was a novice in 1967. He has probably been
a silent key for 30 years or longer. I don't remember his call but I have his card
in my card file. K4AVO

Yes, Pat, the name Carl came to me only a few minutes after I posted,
you know, the Alzheimers syndrome.

Walt, W2DU

My TA-33 manual calls for 5 turns at 6 inch diameter
Bill, W3FI

That your TA-33 manual calls for a 5-turn 6" diameter balun fabbed
from coax is welcome news, Bill, Mr. Mosely must have gotten religion
lately. I had a 33 when they were first made available, but no balun
was included. So I had a talk with Mr. Mosely (I've forgotten his
first name) and asked him why no balun. He became irate when I
admonished him for excluding the balun. He said his antennas were
designed to not need a balun, and he admonished me for claiming they
needed a balun to avoid pattern distortion due to unwanted radiation
from the feedline. He kept that same erroneous viewpoint for as long
as I know, until your manual now calls for a balun. Will wonders never
cease!

Walt, W2DU

Old August 23rd 05, 05:30 AM
Roy Lewallen

I recall helping put up a beam for the Denver Radio Club station in
about 1972 or 3, and one of the instructions was to wind the coax into a
choke at the feedpoint. At the time I didn't understand quite why or
what it did, but it was there in the instructions. Don't recall what
kind of beam it was, but considering the popularity of the TA33, it
might well have been that model.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old August 23rd 05, 04:31 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:34:59 +0000 (UTC), Reg Edwards wrote:

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
k.net...
I am putting up my old TA-33SR by Mosley. I need to know how many
windings are needed on the choke. I seem to remember 6" diameter,
but not the amount of windings.
According to the manual there is no choke indicated at all.
Anyone know anything about this?

Dan/W4NTI

===================================
Dan, I am unable to help you.

Because, in common with most other people, I havn't the foggiest idea
what a TA-33SR is.

Then, by the criteria set in his question:
"Anyone know anything about this?",
you are unqualified to reply to his post -- and, should not have.

Dan,

As a couple of other fellers stated, I, too, am unconvinced that the
family of 3-el tribanders (the Mosely TA-33, the Cushcraft A3S, etc.)
are very much affected by the presense, or lack of a choke balun.
I've operated my CC A3S both ways and am unable to distinguish a smidgen
of difference.

For a multi-element monobander...., well .....

Just insure you've got a "50 ohm source" and a "50 ohm transmission line"
to feed your "50 ohm load" and you should be a happy operator. At
least it will work well enough to keep you On The Air, and keep
you off of usenet and out of rraa where publicly anguishing over your
concerns usually results in abuse by the resident stalkers.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2

Old August 24th 05, 01:42 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
k.net...
I am putting up my old TA-33SR by Mosley. I need to know how many

windings
are needed on the choke. I seem to remember 6" diameter, but not

the
amount of windings.

According to the manual there is no choke indicated at all.

Anyone know anything about this?

Dan/W4NTI

===================================
Dan, I am unable to help you.

Because, in common with most other people, I havn't the foggiest idea
what a TA-33SR is.

Questioners would do better by not depending on other people's
imagination. It takes only a few seconds to provide a little more
essential information. If you can't find the time then it can't matter
very much anyway.
----
Reg.

Then perhaps it would be better if you didn't respond at all, eh?

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 24th 05, 01:55 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Thanks to all who bothered to reply, except Reg of course. Hardy Har Har.

I appreciate the comments about not bothering. Wellll.....I think I'll use
one because I want to keep feedline radiation at a minimum. You know
computers, and phone patching.

Dan/W4NTI