Old December 2nd 03, 04:24 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Default Gotham Antenna info needed

Received the following from a Ham who came into possession of the "famous"
Gotham antenna and would like to resurrect it.

Please e-mail Bruce N3XUK direct (NOT ME)
-------------------------

Hello Name hr is Bruce N3xuk I have a gotham vertical that my father left me
when he passed.. I been looking for some info on the antenna but no luck as
of yet. I was going to use it for 80m but I think I need a coil. Also would
like to know how this antenna was feed because the info I did get there was
a coil on it some where .

thank you for your time ..
Bruce N3XUK

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old December 2nd 03, 07:49 PM
KC1DI

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:24:04 -0800, "Keyboard In The Wilderness"
wrote:

Received the following from a Ham who came into possession of the "famous"
Gotham antenna and would like to resurrect it.

Please e-mail Bruce N3XUK direct (NOT ME)
-------------------------

Hello Name hr is Bruce N3xuk I have a gotham vertical that my father left me
when he passed.. I been looking for some info on the antenna but no luck as
of yet. I was going to use it for 80m but I think I need a coil. Also would
like to know how this antenna was feed because the info I did get there was
a coil on it some where .

thank you for your time ..
Bruce N3XUK

Hi Bruce ,

Gotham antennas were popular in the 1960 maybe into the early 70's..
They went out of business so your not likely to find any info on
them.. But basically the vertical you have was the same as the Hy-
gain 18 V.. which uses a base loading coil to present a half decent
match to 50 ohm line. I've long since lost the coil I had with the
Gotham vertical I used as a novice .. I would guess you would want a
coil of about 2.5 inches Dia. and about 40 turns.. A btter way to put
that antenna on 80m would be to top load it somehow. In any event
you'll need a good ground radial system.

73 Dave kc1di

Old December 2nd 03, 08:20 PM
'Doc

Keyboard or Bruce,
The 'infamous' Gotham vertical was base loaded with a coil
about the size a typical 'BugCatcher's, something in the
50 - 90 uH range. The usual advertisement showed a grounding
stake used for a ground, maybe the water pipes. The Gotham
company started in New Jersey, later moved to Florida where it
branched out into other things, then folded. It was a fairly
'cheap' antenna for the time.
If you plan to use one don't expect any more performance
than you would get with a 'BugCatcher', which isn't much on
80 meters when compared to many other antennas (non-mobile),
but certainly better than 'nuth'n'. Also expect to have to use
more than a single ground rod or the water lines for a ground.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was junk, but it sure came
close... Good luck!
'Doc
Old December 2nd 03, 11:20 PM
Irv Finkleman

Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

Received the following from a Ham who came into possession of the "famous"
Gotham antenna and would like to resurrect it.

Try a search for Gotham Antenna on Google -- there's lots of info there.

Irv VE6BP

-
Old December 5th 03, 05:09 PM
kf4tun

I once had a Gotham which worked very well. Somewhere I have a sales
brochure, I will dig it out and mail you a copy if you will contact me
direct and give me a mailing address to send it to
Just might have some other info., I will send you copies of what I have.
It's good antenna that serves it purpose, great to start with.

Jim, kf4tun

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Received the following from a Ham who came into possession of the "famous"
Gotham antenna and would like to resurrect it.

Please e-mail Bruce N3XUK direct (NOT ME)
-------------------------

Hello Name hr is Bruce N3xuk I have a gotham vertical that my father left

me
when he passed.. I been looking for some info on the antenna but no luck

as
of yet. I was going to use it for 80m but I think I need a coil. Also

would
like to know how this antenna was feed because the info I did get there

was
a coil on it some where .

thank you for your time ..
Bruce N3XUK