Old November 17th 03, 06:30 PM
mfc

Default TV antenna

I recently made a TV antenna to receive Channel 5 using a paper clip
and 3 feet of rolled up aluminum foil. It works pretty well, but
there are these diagonal lines that keep "swimming" across the screen
from left to right. Also, there's a little room for improvement in
the picture. Does anyone know how I can improve my antenna to get a
much clearer picture? Maybe I should use tin foil instead of aluminum
foil or something like that? Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help.
Old November 17th 03, 06:50 PM
Cecil Moore

mfc wrote:
I recently made a TV antenna to receive Channel 5 using a paper clip
and 3 feet of rolled up aluminum foil. It works pretty well, but
there are these diagonal lines that keep "swimming" across the screen
from left to right. Also, there's a little room for improvement in
the picture. Does anyone know how I can improve my antenna to get a
much clearer picture? Maybe I should use tin foil instead of aluminum
foil or something like that? Any ideas?

I'm sorry, but what about getting a real antenna, maybe in the attic?
Bent pins have been known to catch fish, but fishhooks are superior.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 17th 03, 07:16 PM
CB_Oktopus_

Cecil Moore wrote:
mfc wrote:

I recently made a TV antenna to receive Channel 5 using a paper clip
and 3 feet of rolled up aluminum foil. It works pretty well, but
there are these diagonal lines that keep "swimming" across the screen
from left to right. Also, there's a little room for improvement in
the picture. Does anyone know how I can improve my antenna to get a
much clearer picture? Maybe I should use tin foil instead of aluminum
foil or something like that? Any ideas?

I'm sorry, but what about getting a real antenna, maybe in the attic?
Bent pins have been known to catch fish, but fishhooks are superior.

yes. walk and bay an antenna, and distroy the fun of building anyting
your self. Keep up the good work mfc!!!

LA3XMA Odd

Old November 17th 03, 07:29 PM
Richard Clark

On 17 Nov 2003 10:30:34 -0800, (mfc) wrote:

I recently made a TV antenna to receive Channel 5 using a paper clip
and 3 feet of rolled up aluminum foil. It works pretty well, but
there are these diagonal lines that keep "swimming" across the screen
from left to right. Also, there's a little room for improvement in
the picture. Does anyone know how I can improve my antenna to get a
much clearer picture? Maybe I should use tin foil instead of aluminum
foil or something like that? Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi OM,

The diagonal lines are modulation bars or perhaps the sync signal of
the picture. Both is probably over your head, but suffice it to say,
they only appear because the signal is weak. You probably already
know that.

Part of the "passage of rites" growing up before cable was learning
how to position the rabbit ears for the best signal (which suggests an
alternative before putting up a real antenna - the rabbit ears that
is).

Often the angles and position made no sense to either the initiated or
the un-intiated as just plain luck dominated. Acquiring that luck
meant you had achieved that passage to - whatever. There is no
substitute for this process, and if you are in a fringe area, you may
progress to the higher rites of erecting and positioning the outdoor
antenna (achieved solo by the intrepid).

From indoors, you may have already achieved the best there is to
achieve. Adding a TV inline amplifier may help bring out the contrast
in those swimming lines so that they would qualify for the Olympics
synchronized event. ;-)

An antenna with more elements, higher up, is in order (barring more
fruitful experimentation). Welcome to the 50's - a time when Men were
Men, and children watched them on TV wearing masks and capes without
the fear of sexual confusion (and Liberace was just a piano player).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 17th 03, 09:42 PM
Roger Halstead

On 17 Nov 2003 10:30:34 -0800, (mfc) wrote:

I recently made a TV antenna to receive Channel 5 using a paper clip
and 3 feet of rolled up aluminum foil. It works pretty well, but
there are these diagonal lines that keep "swimming" across the screen
from left to right. Also, there's a little room for improvement in
the picture. Does anyone know how I can improve my antenna to get a
much clearer picture? Maybe I should use tin foil instead of aluminum
foil or something like that? Any ideas?

*Part* of the problem is the antenna is too short for channel 5.

I'd start by using *two* 3 foot long pieces of foil, or wire, copper
tube, pipe, or whatever you find that might conduct. In the case of
aluminum foil you are going to need another paper clip. In the case of
copper you can solder the twin lead to the strips. However if you
don't have a solder gun or iron, ... Use paper clips.

Fasten the wires in a piece of twin lead to the two pieces of foil.
One wire to each foil strip. IE wire on one side of twin lead goes to
one strip of foil and wire on other side of twin lead goes to other
piece of foil. Staple, tape, or glue the foil (stretched out to form
a straight line) to a board, or strip of plastic. (something non
conductive and easy to move)

OTOH, if you do have some twin lead, try a piece 6 feet long. lay the
twin lead out flap. Take the two wires on each end and twist them
together. Solder is better. Now, in the center, cut the wires only ON
ONE SIDE. Fasten another piece of twin lead (for a lead in wire) here
and hook the other end of that twin lead to the TV set.

You can tape or glue, or staple (don't put metal staples in so a
single metal staple crosses both wires) the twin lead antenna to a
board, put it on a stick, pole, pipe, or whatever to get it up higher
and now you can rotate it for best reception. You might even be able
to tape it to a wall, or up in the attic and get good reception.

I don't have any twin lead, or I'd make one, shoot a photo, and put it
on a page to view.

Welcome to the world of "Let's see if this' ll work".

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Thanks for all your help.

Old November 17th 03, 11:54 PM
Zoran Brlecic

CB_Oktopus_ wrote:

I recently made a TV antenna to receive Channel 5 using a paper clip
and 3 feet of rolled up aluminum foil. [snip]

I'm sorry, but what about getting a real antenna, maybe in the attic?
Bent pins have been known to catch fish, but fishhooks are superior.

yes. walk and bay an antenna, and distroy the fun of building anyting
your self. Keep up the good work mfc!!!

Sure, and while he's at it, why not have fun making an automobile out of
a pumpkin, three used tampons and a rusty nail.

73 ... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old November 18th 03, 12:02 AM
Cecil Moore

CB_Oktopus_ wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
I'm sorry, but what about getting a real antenna, maybe in the attic?
Bent pins have been known to catch fish, but fishhooks are superior.

yes. walk and bay an antenna, and distroy the fun of building anyting
your self. Keep up the good work mfc!!!

One can certainly build a real antenna. My statement had nothing to
do with build Vs buy.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 18th 03, 02:27 AM
'Doc

Please post picture of you with your rabbit ears.
They are always good for a laugh or two...
'Doc

PS - If your ears aren't pierced, use the papper clip
method of attachment.
Old November 18th 03, 10:07 PM
w4jle

Bill, your not supposed to taunt the kids on the short bus...

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On 17 Nov 2003 10:30:34 -0800, (mfc) wrote:

Maybe I should use tin foil instead of aluminum
foil or something like that? Any ideas?

Troll-O-Meter rating: 8.5 out of a possible 10.

Good job!

--
Bill, W6WRT

Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
50 Ohms "Real Resistive" impedance a Misnomer? Dr. Slick Antenna 255 July 29th 03 11:24 PM