Old August 31st 05, 04:44 AM
W2RAC

Default Need help to optmise a older Hy-Gain antenna for 2M SSB

PLEASE, I need help.
If anyone can run the numbers,
I have tried Quick Yagi with little success.
I have a pair of the OLDER Hy-Gain 2m antenna's. There design was a
200ohm (I think) Hairpin match (to 50ohm) with the reflector and
directors INSULATED from the boom.
Current model for the last 10+ years is the elements are not insulated
from the boom.
I want to respace the elements, possilbing cutting down as it is
easier than lenghting them, to get the best
1. Beamwith/pattern
2. FB
3. Gain.

I am only going to use them on 2M SSB with a center freq of 144.250

Here are the measurments.
14' boom
El Lgth Space
D6 34.62500 32.25
D5 35.00000 26.75
D4 35.12500 25.75
D3 35.12500 28.25
D2 35.25000 22.25
D1 35.50000 12.75
Driven 32.75000 16.75
Ref 44.37500 1.75

Notes. Measured in Inches. Reflector is mounted 1.75 inch from end of
boom, D6 is 1.5 inch from end of boom. All Elements are INSULATED on
top of the boom. If needbe I can remove 1 director as the insulator
need replacing.
Old August 31st 05, 12:55 PM
Ralph Mowery

I want to respace the elements, possilbing cutting down as it is
easier than lenghting them, to get the best
1. Beamwith/pattern
2. FB
3. Gain.

I am only going to use them on 2M SSB with a center freq of 144.250

You have to design for one of teh above 3 items. It is not usaully
possiable to have the best of all 3. In most areas there is not enough
activity to worry about the RB or pattern. Just go for the gain.

Old September 7th 05, 03:16 AM
Tom Ring

Check your email. While these guys talk a good story about wire
antennas, they really don't have much to do with gain antennas, and
absolutely nothing to do with optimizing. With a couple exceptions, and
you know who you are, Ian, etc.

Tom
K0TAR

W2RAC wrote:

PLEASE, I need help.

Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
X-terminator antenna (Scott Unit 69) CB 77 October 29th 03 01:52 AM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM