Old November 18th 03, 07:10 PM
mfc

Default 2-way splitter

Hi.

I am working on building a TV antenna to receive channel 5, and I was
wondering if plugging two 3 foot wires into a 2-way splitter would
essentially be the same thing as rabbit ears in terms of
functionality.

The splitter I am considering is on the right at:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...1%5F006&Page=1

Also, just out of curiosity, would it be any better if I used a 4 way
splitter? I could have four 3 foot wires coming out of it to possibly
improve the reception?

Thanks for all the help.
Old November 18th 03, 07:28 PM
Jim Kelley

mfc wrote:
http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...1%5F006&Page=1

Anybody ever count how many cookies the Radio Shack site sets? I quit
at 50.

73, Jim AC6XG
Old November 18th 03, 07:32 PM
Steve Nosko

No. The two "split" terminals are in phase. You need a balun. Get one of
the 75 to 300 ohm transformers & build a folded dipole.
Steve
9

om...

Old November 18th 03, 08:10 PM
Dave VanHorn

"mfc" wrote in message
om...
Hi.

I am working on building a TV antenna to receive channel 5, and I was
wondering if plugging two 3 foot wires into a 2-way splitter would
essentially be the same thing as rabbit ears in terms of
functionality.

The splitter I am considering is on the right at:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...egory%5Fname=C
TLG%5F007%5F002%5F001%5F006&Page=1

Google on "wilkinson combiner"

These splitters are lossy. Loss is not what you want in an antenna.
The device that closest matches what you're thinking of, is called a balun.
(balanced to unbalanced transformer)
With a balun in hand, you can use two 1/4 wave wires with the balun in the
middle to form a dipole
ntenna.. --------------------B----------------------
You'll have a hard time finding a 1-1 ratio balun for TV though. Most are
4-1 so you want to do a folded dipole, which matches the resulting 300 ohm
impedance fairly well.. (75 * 4 = 300)

/-----------------------------------------\
\-------------------b---------------------/

Like that.

Again, google is your friend.
Antenna designs can be scaled by frequency.
A 300 MHz version of a 100 MHz antenna design, is 1/3 the size.

Old November 18th 03, 09:36 PM
'Doc

mfc,
You're just making an easy job much more complicated
than it needs to be. Build the antenna as suggested.
'Doc

Old November 19th 03, 08:35 PM
'Doc

mfc,
Why do you need a balun?
'Doc
Old November 19th 03, 09:02 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"mfc" wrote in message
om...
So, where can I get a balun? Radio Shack doesn't seem to carry them.

Yes they do. Have the guy look up part numbers 15-1140, 15-1230, or 15-1143.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 20th 03, 12:52 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

"'Doc" wrote in message ...

mfc,
Why do you need a balun?
'Doc

Somebody told him to build a foldeddipole. The balun is to presumably match
it to RG6.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 21st 03, 02:38 PM
mfc

Okay. I got part number 15-1140 at Radio Shack. I haven't really
tried it out yet, but I have a quick question about it. How do most
people connect wires to those two metal "horseshoes" that are coming
out of it? I was thinking of just taping some wire to them, but I'd
like it fastened more securely if possible.

Thanks for all the help.

om...