Old November 19th 03, 08:33 AM
Alen Desanic

Default Home Made Tower

I tried to find some description about constructing and building 50-100 ft
telescoping tower but without results. Maybe somebody can help me with
useful links, PDF's, DOC's.....?

Thanks in advance!

Alen Desanic, 9A3MA

Old November 20th 03, 06:41 AM
Rick Frazier

Alen:

Given the Sue-happy lawyers out there, I doubt you are going to get much
information because of the worry about liability.

In most areas of the US, you wouldn't be able to put up a homemade tower
without an engineering review. At least, if you did put one up that wasn't
engineered and approved by the local building department, if anything ever
happened and it caused damage to your (or even worse, a neighbor's) property,
not only would your insurance company fail to pay, but you would likely be sued
by everyone within sight.

sigh.... Such is the current legal situation here, at least. Depending on the
liability laws where you live, and the permit requirements with your local
governmental authority, it may not be much of an issue.

Having welded up a few non-telescoping towers many years ago before the lawyers
got so aggressive, I know it is definitely possible to make a decent tower
reasonably inexpensively. It shouldn't be all that much more difficult to make
one telescope. If you own or have access to an appropriate welder, a nice,
level, burn-proof area for construction, and an inexpensive supply of raw
materials, you may do well. However, if you'll be paying someone else to do
the welding, or supplies aren't available at a good price, perhaps a commercial
tower would be less expensive in the end. (If you need to get an engineering
stamp on the design, and inspection afterwards, don't forget to add these to
the project total.)

Good Luck!
--Rick AH7H