Old September 14th 05, 06:42 AM
TRABEM

Default loop inductance calculation?

What's the approximate inductance for a single turn square loop, 10
feet per side in free space (if that matters)? There should be an easy
way to calculate this, maybe there is, but I'm not aware of it.

Thanks

Old September 14th 05, 07:01 AM
Owen Duffy

http://www.technick.net/public/code/...uctance_square

Old September 14th 05, 07:44 AM
Roy Lewallen

The free demo version of EZNEC (http://eznec.com) will tell you. Choose
a low frequency where the loop is electrically very small. Put a source
anywhere in the loop and look at the Source Data. It'll give you the
reactance which you can convert to inductance at the frequency you
chose. The inductance should stay fairly constant with frequency as long
as the frequency is low enough that the loop circumference is a very
small part of a wavelength.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old September 14th 05, 07:45 AM
TRABEM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:01:17 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:42:03 -0400, TRABEM wrote:

What's the approximate inductance for a single turn square loop, 10
feet per side in free space (if that matters)? There should be an easy
way to calculate this, maybe there is, but I'm not aware of it.

http://www.technick.net/public/code/...uctance_square

What's the relative permeability of air??

They give this statement on the help page, but I don't understand what
it means.

Note: µ0 = 4¶·10-7 [Hm-1] (Absolute Permeability)

Thanks,

Old September 14th 05, 07:55 AM
Roy Lewallen

TRABEM wrote:

What's the relative permeability of air??

"Relative permeability" is the permeability relative to that of free
space. The relative permeability of any non-magnetic material, including
air, is 1.

They give this statement on the help page, but I don't understand what
it means.

Note: µ0 = 4¶·10-7 [Hm-1] (Absolute Permeability)

The permeability of free space (µ0) is 4 * pi * 10^-7 webers/amp-m (MKSA
units). The permeability (µ) of anything is its relative permeability
(µr) times µ0.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old September 14th 05, 08:20 AM
TRABEM

I got it!!!!!! Did a google search and was able to figure out the
meaning.

Turns out the inductance of a square, rectange of triangle is almost
teh same as long as the circumfernce, and wire diameter are constant.

Very interesting.

For 12 meters of .01 meter diameter wire, the inductance ranges from
13.7 to 14.0 uh regardless of the shape.

Thanks so much. It's just what I needed, the calculator is handy, I've
bookmarked it.

Regards,