Old September 25th 05, 12:22 AM
Walter Maxwell

Default Hams of FCC's RID Aid Allied Effort in WW2

I'm aware that this post is off-topic, except that it is the basis for my
two previous posts that were on topic to antennas. I believe it is time to
reexamine the contributions hams and commercial radio ops made to the WW2 effort
as they were the operating personnel of the FCC's Radio Intelligence Division.
This is their story.
With the War already raging in Europe in 1939, people at the State
Department knew they were missing vital war intelligence being exchanged by
radio, especially that going between Germany and South America. They queried the
FCC Field Division in early 1940 about monitoring to intercept the information.
The Field Division operated the original primary monitoring stations, performing
regulatory and enforcement duties. However, at that time the Field Division
personnel had their hands full just monitoring domestic operations, and had no
time for intelligence monitoring.
Congress was alerted to the need for additional personnel and equipment for
the FCC to monitor intelligence, and it approved funds for establishing a new
section, the National Defense Operating section, NDO. The NDO began operations
September 3, 1940, and was later upgraded to a division, becoming the Radio
Intelligence Division, RID. To head the NDO, the late George E. Sterling
(W1AE/W3DF) was elevated from Ass't Chief Engineer, FCC, to Chief, NDO Section,
and later to Chief, RID. To obtain personnel for the new section he instructed
one of his assistants, the late Harriette Koster, to search through the file
cards containing the information on licensed amateur and commercial operators.
She selected more than 500 operators from the file cards, and over T.J. Slowie's
signature, she sent telegrams to those selected, offering them positions of
Radio Operator, Ass't Monitoring Officer, and Monitoring Officer. The entire
personnel for the new NDO Section, including myself, were obtained from response
to those telegrams. (Harrriette later became my wife, and mother of my four
children, W2WM, WB4GNR, K4JRM, and KC4UBZ (Sue's license now expired). The
Congressional funding also supported building many new secondary monitoring
stations throughout the country, each equipped with Hallicrafters SX-28 and S-27
receivers, and Adcock (sky-wave) direction finders. In addition, Hudson
automobiles equipped with the receivers and a loop direction finder were a part
of each secondary station, used for mobile close-in surveillance.
Immediately following Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, the FCC RID mobilized
a group from both primary and secondary monitoring stations to go to the
Hawaiian Islands to set up eight new secondary stations, one each on Oahu,
Molokai, Kauai, Maui, and Lanai, and three on the big island of Hawaii. NDO
Chief Sterling accompanied the group, of which I was a member from the primary
station at Allegan, Michigan.
Extensive 24/7 mobile monitoring around the shoreline of all the islands
was pursued, with the intention of finding clandestine radio operation between
local Japanese loyal to Japan and Jap submarines cruising off shore. No such
operations were found to occur, and no Hawaiians of Japanese descent were found
to be disloyal to the U.S. During my stay on the Islands I worked at stations on
Oahu, Kauai, Molokai and Hawaii.
With Adcock direction finders at all eight secondary stations, plus the one
at the primary station in Honolulu, the FCC saved the lives of thousands of
military personnel and more than 600 military aircraft flying the Pacific
between the Mainland and the Islands during WW2, after becoming lost due to
errors in navigation with limited fuel supply. Details on how this task was
performed, and how the Beverage antenna was used to receive broadcasts from JOAK
Tokyo, were the subjects of my two previous posts.
Within the next few months I'll be relating some of the 'real intelligence'
work involving RID operations that had a significant effect on shortening WW2.

Walter Maxwell, W2DU

Old September 25th 05, 01:44 AM
Tom Ring

Walter Maxwell wrote:

I'm aware that this post is off-topic, except that it is the basis for my
two previous posts that were on topic to antennas. I believe it is time to
reexamine the contributions hams and commercial radio ops made to the WW2 effort
as they were the operating personnel of the FCC's Radio Intelligence Division.
This is their story.

I would say say, please keep it up, on or off topic. Thanks so much for
these pieces of history.

tom
K0TAR

Old September 25th 05, 03:58 AM
Walter Maxwell

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:44:17 -0500, Tom Ring wrote:

Walter Maxwell wrote:

I'm aware that this post is off-topic, except that it is the basis for my
two previous posts that were on topic to antennas. I believe it is time to
reexamine the contributions hams and commercial radio ops made to the WW2 effort
as they were the operating personnel of the FCC's Radio Intelligence Division.
This is their story.

I would say say, please keep it up, on or off topic. Thanks so much for
these pieces of history.

tom
K0TAR

Thanks, Tom, I appreciate your approval.

Walt
Old September 25th 05, 05:26 AM
Rod Maupin

Yes Walter, I enjoy your stories. I'm happy to read more of them.

Rod KI7CQ

Old September 25th 05, 05:35 AM
John - kd5yi

Walter -

Thanks very much for your very interesting posts. I have read them all and
would like to read more.

John (KD5YI)

Old September 25th 05, 12:23 PM
puns

I wish you would write it as a novel.
I enjoy reading about radio during WW2.

Old September 25th 05, 01:44 PM
John Ferrell

Please keep the stories coming!
== John, de W8CCW
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:22:05 -0400, Walter Maxwell

Old September 25th 05, 03:46 PM
Walter Maxwell

I'm pleased that the history of radio in WW2 is acceptable on this news
group. The three threads I've posted so far are from memory, and at the moment
that's about all there is.
However, I have files describing many real intelligence transmissions
involving historic situations that for the most part went unheralded. These
files are in my library at my home in DeLand, Florida. I'm now at my summer home
in my home town of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, but we return to FL Nov 1. I'll dig
out some of the files when we return.
Thanks again for the interest. When I posted the first one I thought I might
be voted off the island.

Walt, W2DU

Old September 25th 05, 05:04 PM
Henry

Walt, when you do posts these stories, will you post them under a name
that people will recognize please? I missed the first one because it
was posted under a topic I wasn't interested in. A new post heading
would be appreciated by all, I'm sure.

Thanks and 73,

Henry

Old September 25th 05, 05:48 PM
Walter Maxwell

Good point, Henry, will do.

Walt

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:04:53 -0500, Henry wrote:

Walt, when you do posts these stories, will you post them under a name
that people will recognize please? I missed the first one because it
was posted under a topic I wasn't interested in. A new post heading
would be appreciated by all, I'm sure.

Thanks and 73,

Henry

Open Letter to K1MAN [email protected] Policy 13 April 15th 05 07:43 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1394 - April 30, 2004 Radionews Policy 0 April 30th 04 05:48 PM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM