Old November 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
shuisheng

Default What is low profile antenna?

I am new to antenna field. Anyboday can explain to me what is low
profile antenna? Many thanks.

Old November 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Cecil Moore

shuisheng wrote:
I am new to antenna field. Anyboday can explain to me what is low
profile antenna? Many thanks.

An underground buried antenna would be an example of a
very low-profile antenna. Virtually invisible antennas
are another example. Disguised antennas (e.g. flagpoles)
are another example. Attic antennas are another example.
In general, low-profile antennas are inferior in performance
to high-profile (extremely visible) antennas.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 2nd 05, 09:04 PM
Caveat Lector

An antenna that Ms Clipboard of the Home Owners Ass (ociation) can't see

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

oups.com...

Old November 2nd 05, 09:09 PM
Dave

"shuisheng" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to antenna field. Anyboday can explain to me what is low
profile antenna? Many thanks.

in addition to the other definitions of 'low profile' it could also refer to
a thin aerodynamic antenna such as the patch antennas and other designs used
for car roofs for satellite reception or on aircraft where air flow is
critical.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:37 PM
Owen Duffy

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:09:15 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

"shuisheng" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am new to antenna field. Anyboday can explain to me what is low
profile antenna? Many thanks.

in addition to the other definitions of 'low profile' it could also refer to

Some of those "other definitions" might be better described "low
(visual) impact", rather than low profile.

a thin aerodynamic antenna such as the patch antennas and other designs used
for car roofs for satellite reception or on aircraft where air flow is
critical.

Sounds good.

Owen

Old November 3rd 05, 08:46 AM
harrogate2

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
shuisheng wrote:
I am new to antenna field. Anyboday can explain to me what is low
profile antenna? Many thanks.

An underground buried antenna would be an example of a
very low-profile antenna. Virtually invisible antennas
are another example. Disguised antennas (e.g. flagpoles)
are another example. Attic antennas are another example.
In general, low-profile antennas are inferior in performance
to high-profile (extremely visible) antennas.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Sorry, absolute blx. You are getting confused with a covert antenna.

A low profile antenna is one that is designed not to stick up when
vertically polarised, and may at the same time be not visually
intrusive.

They are most often found (and visible) on the roof of security vans
or buses, and look like a small flat-ish upturned dish - for UK
hi-band (170MHz) being about 18" across and about 2-3" high. In most
applications they are omnidirectional and vertically polarised.
Technically they are a slot antenna - a Google search will explain how
they work. They have the advantage that the metal fixing base will act
as a ground plane so they can be fitted on fibre-glass bodies without
worry. They are popular on buses as they don't get pulled off by the
vehicle wash.

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com

Old November 3rd 05, 08:15 PM
Steve Nosko

This is not a technical term. It is a relative descriptor and can mean many
things. The words simply mean an antenna that is lower than somebody's idea
of a non low-profile or normal antenna.

The meaning of "low" should be obvious; "less than... in some respect.
Usually a physical dimension."
Profile can refer to height or width. Most commonly the height off a
surface. Examples already given accepted.

73, Steve, K9DCI

"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:09:15 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

"shuisheng" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am new to antenna field. Anyboday can explain to me what is low
profile antenna? Many thanks.

in addition to the other definitions of 'low profile' it could also refer

Some of those "other definitions" might be better described "low
(visual) impact", rather than low profile.

a thin aerodynamic antenna such as the patch antennas and other designs

used
for car roofs for satellite reception or on aircraft where air flow is
critical.

Sounds good.

Owen

Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM