Old November 20th 05, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Default Loop Antennas

Al, VE7AGW wrote:
"I thought Charlie Pride sang that one."

I wouldn`t be surprised. Charlie is a great country singer. When I hear
his name, "Kiss a Devil Good Morning" pops into mind. Ray Price mostly
owns "For the Good Times." Ray still lives in Texas, rides motorcycles,
and has taken up comedy, I suppose, to enlarge his act.

Since Clear Channel Communications, Infinity Broadcasting, etc. bought
most of the non-network-owned broadcast outlets, music stations have
disappeared. Clear Channel changed the music programming of the last
sizeable AM music outlet in Houston to sports programming last year.
That was when I found the 680 KHz signal from San Antonio was usually
good here 24-hours. I think they run 50-KW nondirectional day time and
10-KW nighttime, pointed away from KNBC in San Francisco at nignt. KNBC
is 50-KW, 680 KHz, non-directional day and night.

At night on 680 KHz in Houston, there is somtimes interference from
Cuba. The map shows 4 Cuban stations sharing 680 KHz, so there are tales
about "El Commandante Fidel" breaking into my night music from San
Antonio at times. There are several Mexican stations too, but they seem
to try not to interfere. WAPA in San Juan, Puerto Rico is shown as 10 KW
non-directional night and day on the map, but I have not noticed
interference from them, so I wonder if they are really still there.

For country music in most of North America, a good bet might be "The
Grand Ole Opry Station", WSM in Nashville, Tennessee. It is 650 KHz,
50-KW, non-directional, night and day. When I was a kid, this station
adveritised itself as "The National Life and Accidennt Station" but
already carried "The Opry" The insurance business has shifted about like
the broadcasting business. Both are regulated. Insurance by the state
and broadcasting by the feds.

My Broadcast Allocation Map Book doesn`t indicate programming. It was
only in the earliest days that the Commerce Department ruled that all
stations on a certain frequency must only broadcast music. Sometimes the
first idea is the best.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old November 20th 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Richard Harrison wrote:
Al, VE7AGW wrote:
"I thought Charlie Pride sang that one."

I wouldn`t be surprised. Charlie is a great country singer. When I hear
his name, "Kiss a Devil Good Morning" pops into mind.

I do believe it is, "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" and "love
her like the devil when you get back home".
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 20th 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
EasyRider

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Al, VE7AGW wrote:
"I thought Charlie Pride sang that one."

I wouldn`t be surprised. Charlie is a great country singer. When I hear
his name, "Kiss a Devil Good Morning" pops into mind. Ray Price mostly
owns "For the Good Times." Ray still lives in Texas, rides motorcycles,
and has taken up comedy, I suppose, to enlarge his act.

The good old days as we say, back when the radio stations played non-stop
music and the all the girls wore skirts and us guys wore jean and white
T-shirt. It's fun but but I remember when the we use to get these radio
maps of the world with all the stations listed on them. And as you say they
listed the power day/night and most of them only played music no advertising
at all. I use to listen to this rock and roll station out of Buffalo called
WKBW 960 khz and all they played was rock and roll. American Band Stand with
Dave Clark, I suppose this is dating me know. On my last trip back that way
I heard the station ID on the FM dial instead of AM and they still played
the old rock and roll from the fifty and sixies.
Talking about cournty and western station in Texas, well I use run truck
loads of red cedar to this place in Grande Pairie Texas, right between Fort
Worth and Dallis and I would listen to this am station from Amarillo. Could
pick it up just outside of Dallas while running up US 287/87 to Denver then
shortly outside of Denver I would loose it. The loneliest section of road
for radio station is Montana you just don't pick up much at all even on Am.
And Fm is usless in most places except around big cities.
The last Freightliner I had I put the satelite radio in it and had radio
everywhere then and lots to choose from too. Even had my Icom IC-706 in it
as well.

Old November 21st 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley

Richard Harrison wrote:

Since Clear Channel Communications, Infinity Broadcasting, etc. bought
most of the non-network-owned broadcast outlets, music stations have
disappeared. Clear Channel changed the music programming of the last
sizeable AM music outlet in Houston to sports programming last year.
That was when I found the 680 KHz signal from San Antonio was usually
good here 24-hours. I think they run 50-KW nondirectional day time and
10-KW nighttime, pointed away from KNBC in San Francisco at nignt. KNBC
is 50-KW, 680 KHz, non-directional day and night.

That's KNBR. KNBC is a television station in Los Angeles.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...NBR&service=AM

73, ac6xg