Old November 20th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Default Loop Antennas

Fred, W4JLE wropte:
"Can`t believe you left out WCKY Cincinnati 1 Ohio."

WCKY 1530 KHz should not be omitted from any list of great radio
stations accessible to millions of listeners. I made no list. I picked
only one station I thought might best typify country music and be widely
propagated.

WCKY is 50 KW nondirectional daytime but uses a n-s directional pattern
which places a sharp null toward KFBK Sacremento, California. KFBK also
uses 50 KW but in a north-south directional pattern up and down the west
coast of the U.S.A.. This tends to protect WCKY, too.

WSM always has a 50 KW nondirectional pattern. That is now the maximum
power allowed AM broadcasting in the U.S.A. When I was a kid, another
Cincinnati station, WLW was called the "Nation`s Station" and broadcast
with 500,000 watts. It really could be heard almost everywhere.

WSM is exceptional due to programming. It originates the "Grand Ole
Opry". A network of more than 100 stations carry the program in several
countries. It also feeds the Armed Forces Radiom Service.

WSM at 650 KHz is toward the low-frequency end of the AM broadcast band
and that tends to propagate day or night better than the high end of the
band.

Dolly Parton is a regular on the Opry and that trumps all other reasons
for picking WSM as a favorite.

Best regards, Richard harrison, KB5WZI

Old November 21st 05, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred W4JLE

The other station I remember as a kid was a Texas station that was
physcially located in Mexico and ran a Gazillion watts. Don't remember the
call but later was the home of "Wolfman Jack"

I bet like me, you remember the "Dumont Television Network" :) As a kid I
was a go-fer at WXEL in Cleveland, Ohio. It was part of the Dumont network.

Old November 21st 05, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Fred W4JLE wrote:
The other station I remember as a kid was a Texas station that was
physcially located in Mexico and ran a Gazillion watts. Don't remember the
call ...

XERF, Villa Acun~a? "n~" instead of the proper Spanish character.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 22nd 05, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:09:43 -0500, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

The other station I remember as a kid was a Texas station that was
physcially located in Mexico and ran a Gazillion watts. Don't remember the
call but later was the home of "Wolfman Jack"

Hi Fred,

I listened to him too.

XELO out of Del Rio, Texas (yeah, really across the river).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 22nd 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

wrote:

The other station I remember as a kid was a Texas station that was
physcially located in Mexico and ran a Gazillion watts. Don't remember the
call but later was the home of "Wolfman Jack"

Hi Fred,

I listened to him too.

XELO out of Del Rio, Texas (yeah, really across the river).

Wolfman Jack (Bob Smith) is immortalized in the movie "American
Graffiti", where he plays himself. He died in 1995 at age 56. There's a
lot about him on the web. See, for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfman_Jack.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old November 22nd 05, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

wrote:

The other station I remember as a kid was a Texas station that was
physcially located in Mexico and ran a Gazillion watts. Don't remember the
call but later was the home of "Wolfman Jack"

Hi Fred,

I listened to him too.

XELO out of Del Rio, Texas (yeah, really across the river).

Wolfman Jack (Bob Smith) is immortalized in the movie "American
Graffiti", where he plays himself. He died in 1995 at age 56. There's a
lot about him on the web. See, for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfman_Jack.

Hi Roy,

The better majority of listings cite XERF, certainly, but seem as
likely to obliquely refer to XELO whose call letters seemed to be
re-assigned on a whim. One thing I have no doubt of, tho', is that
guttural rasp announcing "from Del Reee o Texas."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 23rd 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"XERF, Villa Acun~a? "n~" instead of the proper Spanish character."

Bingo!

Little Acun~a has now grown to Ciudade Acun~a, Studios were in Del Rio,
Texas, I believe.

There is a book I found interesting about super-power broadcasting from
the banks of the Rio Grande. I think the title was "Border Radio". It
began with Dr. Brinkley, a chiropractor I believe, who advertised monkey
and goat gland implants for remediation of erectile dysfunction. It
ended with the RCA Ampliphase monster that RCA installed, and abanoned
across the Rio when they could not meet specs. Consultants hired by the
buyer made it work as advertised after a long struggle with RCA. Between
these stories were tales of some of the other colorful characters who
broadcast on these high powered stations.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old November 23rd 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Richard Harrison wrote:
Between
these stories were tales of some of the other colorful characters who
broadcast on these high powered stations.

I remember a couple of the advertisers from the 50's:
Randy's Record Mart in Gallatin, TN and White Rose
Petroleum Jelly. White Rose had a contest for unusual
uses for their petroleum jelly. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp