Old November 27th 05, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mark Sheffield

Default Station ground/2nd floor

I'll be moving my rig to a second floor OP here soon, I've always been
at/below ground level with a short run to a ground rod. I'm only
running a trap dipole nowdays and I don't want to get into the mess of
a counterpoise. Can I/will I get an acceptable ground by running a
ground strap to a ground rod? I imagine that a lot of folks are doing
this - is there any advice regarding getting it grounded from this
height?

tnx - Mark/n0lf
Old November 27th 05, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
'Doc

Mark,
Sounds like a 'balanced' antenna to me, why a
ground other than for electrical purposes (not RF)?
- 'Doc
Old November 27th 05, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mark Sheffield

I needed to hear it from somebody else, that's all.

I'm not quite balanced in the feed, as I'm using coax out to the
dipole feedpoint, but probably close enough.

tnx - Mark

Old November 27th 05, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Mark Sheffield wrote:
I'm not quite balanced in the feed, as I'm using coax out to the
dipole feedpoint, but probably close enough.

A W2DU choke would probably eliminate the need for
an RF ground and also be good engineering practice.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 27th 05, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John, N9JG

I have a 2nd floor shack too, and the antenna is a ground mounted vertical
(Butternut HF6V). I use a W2DU choke to connect my coax feedline to the
vertical and a 2nd W2DU choke between my Orion and Drake L-4B. Finally, I
found that the only way to prevent feedback on SSB was to NOT connect my
system to the #8 ground wire that runs out the window sill and down to a
ground rod.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...

Old November 27th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

John, N9JG wrote:
Finally, I
found that the only way to prevent feedback on SSB was to NOT connect my
system to the #8 ground wire that runs out the window sill and down to a
ground rod.

Yep, everyone should realize that a ground wire is N*1/4 wavelength
at certain frequencies, and at those frequencies, is an RF transformer
that locates the standing-wave voltage maximum points at the transmitter. (ouch!)
That's what artificial grounds do - change that *electrical* length
to N*1/2 wavelength. For anyone insisting on an RF ground for an upper
floor, an artificial ground is probably the way to go. I, myself, prefer
balanced antennas and feedlines.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 27th 05, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Yep, everyone should realize that a ground wire is N*1/4 wavelength
at certain frequencies, and at those frequencies, is an RF transformer
that locates the standing-wave voltage maximum points at the transmitter. (ouch!)
That's what artificial grounds do - change that *electrical* length
to N*1/2 wavelength. For anyone insisting on an RF ground for an upper
floor, an artificial ground is probably the way to go. I, myself, prefer
balanced antennas and feedlines.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil, Don't you mean that when a ground wire is N*1/4 wavelength at
a particular frequency it locates the voltage mininum (current maximum)
at the transmitter, and the voltage maximum well away from the
transmitter. Artifical grounds use a series LC circuit to try and tune
your ground wire to look like 1/4 wave. If they change the
*electrical* length to 1/2 wave then you would have a voltage maximum
at the transmitter (ouch!).
Gary N4AST

Old November 27th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman

Cecil Moore wrote:

John, N9JG wrote:
Finally, I
found that the only way to prevent feedback on SSB was to NOT connect my
system to the #8 ground wire that runs out the window sill and down to a
ground rod.

Yep, everyone should realize that a ground wire is N*1/4 wavelength
at certain frequencies, and at those frequencies, is an RF transformer
that locates the standing-wave voltage maximum points at the transmitter. (ouch!)
That's what artificial grounds do - change that *electrical* length
to N*1/2 wavelength. For anyone insisting on an RF ground for an upper
floor, an artificial ground is probably the way to go. I, myself, prefer
balanced antennas and feedlines.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Why not run two ground wires in parallel -- one twice as long as the
other? When one is Hi-Z the other will be Lo-Z and vice versa.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old November 27th 05, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Irv Finkleman wrote:
Why not run two ground wires in parallel -- one twice as long as the
other? When one is Hi-Z the other will be Lo-Z and vice versa.

That will help on some frequencies but it is akin to trying to
erect a 1/2WL fan dipole for all frequencies - can't be done. Sooner
or later, you will run into a frequency where length #1 is N*1/4WL
and length #2 is (N+1)1/4WL. "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

FCC SHUTS DOWN the 'Boy Broadcaster" from ME Maritime Phone Patcher Scanner 104 September 30th 05 04:17 PM
K1MAN The crap has hit the fan. Dan/W4NTI Policy 11 June 21st 05 05:28 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM