Old December 6th 05, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11

Default Antennas And Lightning Induced Voltage Transients

Hello:

We get a lot of lightning strikes around here, and was wondering about this:

Presently have a receive-only random length wire running around the inside
of my attic.

Guess I'm not really too worried about "direct" lightning strikes; if there
is one I imagine I have a lot more to worry about than the radio.

But, does the roof provide any protection from nearby lightning strikes
inducing a high transient voltage
into the indoor attic antenna wire, as compared to if I had the wire antenna
strung outside the house ?
Again, from an induced voltage standpoint concern.

Or, is the fact that it is indoors really meaningless ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old December 7th 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve Nosko

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

We get a lot of lightning strikes around here, and was wondering about
this:

Presently have a receive-only random length wire running around the inside
of my attic....

But, does the roof provide any protection ...

Or, is the fact that it is indoors really meaningless ?
Thanks, Bob

The roof has absolutely no significant magnetic properties, right? SO...
the high current of the lightning is the "primary" of a transformer. The
wire in your attic is the "secondary" of a transformer. A pretty poor
transformer, but with that current, it'll induce lots'a voltage in your
wire...roof or no roof. Right?

73, Steve, K,9.D;C'I

Old December 7th 05, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

The roof protects the antenna from lightning, even the sneaky stuff.
All you have to worry about is lightning striking the roof and
yourself if you are not under it.
----
Reg.

Old December 8th 05, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Andy Cowley

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

We get a lot of lightning strikes around here, and was wondering about this:

Presently have a receive-only random length wire running around the inside
of my attic.

Guess I'm not really too worried about "direct" lightning strikes; if there
is one I imagine I have a lot more to worry about than the radio.

But, does the roof provide any protection from nearby lightning strikes
inducing a high transient voltage
into the indoor attic antenna wire, as compared to if I had the wire antenna
strung outside the house ?
Again, from an induced voltage standpoint concern.

Or, is the fact that it is indoors really meaningless ?

Meaningless. A neon to ground is traditional for
receiving antennas. Makes a good EMP indicator.

vy 73

Andy

AM radio reception inside passenger planes? Some Guy Antenna 157 May 14th 09 07:06 PM
Lightning Protection - What Do YOU Use? Too_Many_Tools Shortwave 43 June 17th 05 04:35 AM
Base Antenna Mounting Zeeeeeeee3 CB 110 February 23rd 04 04:55 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Antenna 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM