Old November 30th 03, 10:40 PM
Marvin Rosen

Default 160 Meter Mobile Whip Question?

Would it be practical to use two 160 mtr mobile whips
in a horizontal configuration with 450 ohm ladder line
for 160-10 mtrs? Placement of antenna would be 70
feet up from the ground. I realize the efficiency would be
poor but better than nothing. Any alternative suggestions
relating to the above?

Old November 30th 03, 11:36 PM
Dennis Kaylor

the company that makes the hamsticks makes a dipole mount so you could
do just thar
how well it will work is beyond me
i am soon to be putting up an Inverted L 1/4wave for 160 meters and hope
i can get 160-10 with it i hope the autotuner in the 756Pro can handle it
good luck

Old December 1st 03, 01:56 AM
Ralph Mowery

Would it be practical to use two 160 mtr mobile whips
in a horizontal configuration with 450 ohm ladder line
for 160-10 mtrs? Placement of antenna would be 70
feet up from the ground. I realize the efficiency would be
poor but better than nothing. Any alternative suggestions
relating to the above?

Most of the time it is not too efficiant to try and use loaded whips outside
of the band they are made for.

Old December 1st 03, 05:05 AM
'Doc

Marvin,
To make it short-n-sweet, no, it wouldn't be practical. The
'better than nothing' route sometimes isn't very much better
than nothing, and I think that's what you would have. If you've
got that 70 feet of tower/tree/whatever, why not hang an
inverted
'L' off of it? Ought to work much better, and depending on the
tuner, on all bands too.
'Doc
Old December 1st 03, 05:29 AM
Cecil Moore

Marvin Rosen wrote:
Would it be practical to use two 160 mtr mobile whips
in a horizontal configuration with 450 ohm ladder line
for 160-10 mtrs? Placement of antenna would be 70
feet up from the ground. I realize the efficiency would be
poor but better than nothing. Any alternative suggestions
relating to the above?

Such a configuration would result in very poor performance on all
bands. Why not just install an elevated multi-band vertical?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
Seperation question???? thanks [email protected] Antenna 0 October 7th 03 07:57 PM
Mobile Antenna Question Richard Clark Antenna 3 August 23rd 03 08:07 PM
Hygain 18AVT/WB Parts Traps, 80m coil whip etc. Alan Caplan Antenna 0 August 9th 03 08:00 PM
2 meter tv twin (300ohm) J pole question 'Doc Antenna 2 July 18th 03 03:21 PM