Old December 21st 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Standing Waves (and Impedance)

John Ferrell wrote:
You can learn to tolerate high SWR's, but I find it worthwhile to try
to keep things matched. The energy has to go somewhere, I prefer it
leave here through the antenna...
John Ferrell W8CCW

I assume that you realize there is a high SWR on a standing-
wave antenna, like a resonant 1/2WL dipole? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old December 22nd 05, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

I was simply sharing my experiences from the past.
If you have followed a few of my earlier posts you are aware I am
simply a student who should have been studying this many years ago.

I welcome any corrections.
I never gave the swr on the radiator any thought. That is a good
point.
..

Old December 22nd 05, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

John Ferrell wrote:
I never gave the swr on the radiator any thought. That is a good
point.

Hi John, it was supposed to be humorous. I find it amusing that
someone will say, "I hate high SWRs.", while running a
resonant dipole with an SWR of 20:1 (or whatever) on the
radiating elements.

Superposition and interference between the forward waves and
reflected waves on the radiating elements is what brings the
feedpoint impedance of a 1/2WL dipole down to 50 ohms (or
whatever). If it were not for standing waves on a 1/2WL dipole,
the feedpoint impedance would be in the neighborhood of 1200
ohms, similiar to an infinite dipole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Traveling Waves, Power Waves,..., Any Waves,... pez Antenna 10 December 13th 03 02:43 PM
Calculus not needed (was: Reflection Coefficient Smoke Clears a Bit) David or Jo Anne Ryeburn Antenna 17 December 13th 03 10:48 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
A Subtle Detail of Reflection Coefficients (but important to know) Dr. Slick Antenna 199 September 12th 03 10:06 PM
Length of Coax Affecting Incident Power to Meter? Dr. Slick Antenna 140 August 18th 03 08:17 PM