Old December 22nd 05, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default Thanks for antenna help.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:43:59 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

The French should be given full credit for inventing the unit of
length by correctly spelling it, the "METRE".

Reg, I think the US was one of the relatively early signatories to the
metre convention, but reserved the position to spell "metre" as
"meter".

I can't recall when the UK signed the convention, my recollection is
that we in VK signed it much later than both, however we metricated
earlier than the UK, and the US hasn't metricated (metericated???) in
the true sense of the word.

I don't miss the days of rods roods poles perches chains etc, without
mentioning other dimensional units.

Also, this avoids confusion with the frequently used word "METER", a
measuring instrument, when they are both mentioned in the same
sentence.

Oh well.

Give some people 25.4mm and they will take 16,609.344m! (Lost
something in the translation I suspect!)

Owen
Old December 22nd 05, 11:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Amos Keag

SNIPPED

--

Hmmm ... 16,609.344m = 10 miles does it not??

Not only did it lose something in translation, it lost something in units,

Give some people an inch and they will take a mile grin NOT 10
miles!!!!!!!!!!!

Old December 22nd 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:

The French should be given full credit for inventing the unit of
length by correctly spelling it, the "METRE".

Also, this avoids confusion with the frequently used word "METER", a
measuring instrument, when they are both mentioned in the same
sentence.

The accident investigation crews here have a device that meters
distances. I assume that in the UK, it is calibrated in metres.
Do you guys call that device a "metre meter"?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old December 23rd 05, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The Eternal Squire

Oh, come on....

In engineering literature an SI measurement is generally given as a
number followed by the abbreviated unit in braces: 330 [cm] = 33 [m]
= 3.3 [km]

Sorry for being slipshod and forgetting the braces.

The Eternal Squire

P.S. Why Santa got pulled over: 3E8 [km/s], not just a good idea, its
the LAW!!!!

Old December 23rd 05, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear Owen:
As I recall, very early in The Republic's life, the use of the metric
system was made legal.

Rods, chains, links, feet, inches, and degrees are bound to legal
descriptions of land here in The Republic in a manner that is likely to be
permanent. Some land descriptions sound like this:

The east half of the NE quarter of section 24, T16N, R8W. This describes 80
acres in the corner of a specific section (one mile on each side) in the
16th township north of a reference and the eighth west of a reference. An
ideal township is 36 square miles (6 by 6 miles).

Out East, some descriptions reference objects that have not been seen
for a few hundred years. Precision GPS and its required antennas will, with
time and care, change the some properties are described.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

snip

Old December 23rd 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:56:50 -0500, Amos Keag
wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote:

SNIPPED

Give some people 25.4mm and they will take 16,609.344m! (Lost
something in the translation I suspect!)

Owen
--

Hmmm ... 16,609.344m = 10 miles does it not??

No, it is not. The mistake is the repeated 6, it should have been
1,609.344m.

Apologies... Owen
Old December 23rd 05, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The Eternal Squire

I'm tired, and my fingers were running away from me.

The Eternal Squire

Old December 23rd 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

On 22 Dec 2005 18:47:24 -0800, "The Eternal Squire"
wrote:

P.S. Why Santa got pulled over: 3E8 [km/s], not just a good idea, its
the LAW!!!!

Wow, that is 1000 times the speed of light!
Old December 28th 05, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Piggin

The accident investigation crews here have a device that meters
distances. I assume that in the UK, it is calibrated in metres.
Do you guys call that device a "metre meter"?

Cecil, We'd call it a
1) Metre measuring device, indicating
a measurement solely in Metre Units
2) distance measurement meter. In
English terms your pronunciation of Metre Meter would
also be grammarmatically incorrect and not good
English, in speaking terms.

Much the same as 1) Tonne, a metric measurement of weight. IE,
a mass equal to 2,205 Lbs.
2) Ton, a unit of weight. IE,
an English Imperial unit equating to 2000Lbs. Also
3) Ton, a unit of weight. IE,
A weight of 2,240 Lbs, equal to 1.016 metric tons, known
as a long Ton.
And you though you were confused Eh!!!!! 73's De Dave LOVL

--
Amateur Radio Call Sign M1BTI, Located in Manchester England.
Locator square IO83TK