Old December 20th 05, 06:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The Eternal Squire

Default Thanks for antenna help.

All,

I'm finally back on the air! Thanks for the antenna help, everyone. I
found on the net a 30m collapsible fiberglass pole. I applied copper
tape to one side as the radiator. I used layers of duct tape to
reinforce every joint. I have the ground side tied to the ground rod
of the trailer electrical system. No counterpoise yet. I worked a few
stations tonight on 40m CW.

I am grateful for all the help, even to those who thought I wasn't
listening at first.

The Eternal Squire

Old December 20th 05, 07:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian White GM3SEK

The Eternal Squire wrote:
All,

I'm finally back on the air! Thanks for the antenna help, everyone. I
found on the net a 30m collapsible fiberglass pole. I applied copper
tape to one side as the radiator. I used layers of duct tape to
reinforce every joint. I have the ground side tied to the ground rod
of the trailer electrical system. No counterpoise yet. I worked a few
stations tonight on 40m CW.

Glad to hear it - you're on the way now.

Next, put an ATU at the bottom of the pole and give yourself some more
bands. It doesn't have to be an auto-ATU - a small headband flashlight
is much better value.

Then get some more wire on the ground, and you'll be surprised how 40
and even 80m perk up.

I am grateful for all the help, even to those who thought I wasn't
listening at first.

Your sense of what can and can't be done has been spun completely
around, first by the wind and then (probably less gently) by this NG.
You seem to have survived the experience rather well.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old December 20th 05, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman

The Eternal Squire wrote:

All,

I'm finally back on the air! Thanks for the antenna help, everyone. I
found on the net a 30m collapsible fiberglass pole. I applied copper
tape to one side as the radiator. I used layers of duct tape to
reinforce every joint. I have the ground side tied to the ground rod
of the trailer electrical system. No counterpoise yet. I worked a few
stations tonight on 40m CW.

I am grateful for all the help, even to those who thought I wasn't
listening at first.

The Eternal Squire

My experience with duct tape is that it doesn't hold up well due
to weathering. I'm not sure if it was the cold, the sun, or what, but
it gradually let go and fell apart. I have no recommendations for
a substitute but someone on the group might.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old December 20th 05, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

On 19 Dec 2005 22:55:39 -0800, "The Eternal Squire"
wrote:

All,

I'm finally back on the air! Thanks for the antenna help, everyone. I
found on the net a 30m collapsible fiberglass pole. I applied copper
tape to one side as the radiator. I used layers of duct tape to
reinforce every joint. I have the ground side tied to the ground rod
of the trailer electrical system. No counterpoise yet. I worked a few
stations tonight on 40m CW.

I am grateful for all the help, even to those who thought I wasn't
listening at first.

The Eternal Squire

I have to ask:
Do you really mean 30 feet rather than 30 meters?
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old December 20th 05, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Irv Finkleman wrote:
My experience with duct tape is that it doesn't hold up well due
to weathering. I'm not sure if it was the cold, the sun, or what, but
it gradually let go and fell apart. I have no recommendations for
a substitute but someone on the group might.

Automotive rated duct tape is of a higher quality than air-conditioning
duct tape - also more expensive. A coating of clear Krylon also helps.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 21st 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The Eternal Squire

yep you are right.... 10m == 30 feet.

The Eternal Squire

Old December 22nd 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The Eternal Squire

Thanks. Just laid down 2 quarter wave counterpoises for 40m, and
another quarter wave counterpoise for 20m. I also connected the ground
system to an outside storage shed but who knows that would add. The
ground system had already been connected to the electrical system
ground ground, and thereby the house wiring.

Noise floor seems to be extremely high for 40 m in the afternoons and
evenings, is this common?

The Eternal Squire

Old December 22nd 05, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

The French should be given full credit for inventing the unit of
length by correctly spelling it, the "METRE".

Also, this avoids confusion with the frequently used word "METER", a
measuring instrument, when they are both mentioned in the same
sentence.

Old December 22nd 05, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Reg Edwards wrote:
The French should be given full credit for inventing the unit of
length by correctly spelling it, the "METRE".

Also, this avoids confusion with the frequently used word "METER", a
measuring instrument, when they are both mentioned in the same
sentence.

I'm so glad to hear you're committed to correctness and against
confusion. Perhaps you can direct some of your efforts toward your
countrymen - the U.K. is the only place I've been where "m" is used as
an abbreviation for both metres and miles.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old December 22nd 05, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

The Eternal Squire wrote:
. . .
Noise floor seems to be extremely high for 40 m in the afternoons and
evenings, is this common?

Atmospheric noise is usually very low on 40 meters during the day.
Sounds like you have some relatively local source of man-made noise.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL