Old January 5th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joe S.

Default GeoTool antenna mounts for pickup truck stake holes

Anyone have experience with these mounts?

http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm

As you see from their website, the mounts are mounted into the stake holes
in the sides of a pickup bed. Anyone here used these mounts? What was your
experience? What truck? How difficult/easy was the installation? Has the
mount lasted?

Thanks.

Old January 5th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
nx7u

I've had three of them in my F-150 for about 6 years now and they work
great. I would recommend them w/o hesitation.
Scott NX7U
http://members.cox.net/nx7u

Old January 5th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
M.M.

Joe S. wrote:
Anyone have experience with these mounts?

http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm

As you see from their website, the mounts are mounted into the stake holes
in the sides of a pickup bed. Anyone here used these mounts? What was your
experience? What truck? How difficult/easy was the installation? Has the
mount lasted?

I've had one on my Ford Ranger for several years with a 10M hamstick. It
worked just fine. It was fairly easy to install...I had to remove the
taillight assy to get access to the bottom of the pocket but that was
not a big deal. I also had to drill a hole in the bottom of the pocket
and needed a drill extension to reach but that wasn't too big a deal
either. Altho the hamstick probably didn't tax it much, it seems to be a
pretty rugged unit and seems to me to be a great idea. It's held up fine
for quite a while (can't remember when I bought it) but I just removed
it a few weeks ago when I gave the truck to my kid. It got a little
rusty on top where the hamstick screws in but the rest of it is aluminum
so won't rust. I'd certainly recommend it based on my experience with
it. If the one I have will fit your truck, I'd make you a deal on it...

73... Mark AA7TA
Old January 6th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Topaz305RK

Have had two mounted in an F-250 Super Duty. Had them mounted in an F-250
light duty before that. Have been using a pair of hamsticks on them up until
last year. Last year I put a High Sierra SideKick on the left side of the
pickup and used an 80 meter hamstick on the right. Can't get the SideKick to
tune on 80 meters, it is supposed to but have not had any luck with it yet.
Still playing with making that work.

The mounts fit as advertised and heavy enough to handle just about anything
you want to mount on them. Easy to install with standard hand tools for the
most part. One reply said they needed a drill bit extension, true if you
drill from the top. If you come up through from the bottom you won't need an
extension.

I did make a special tool to make things a bit easier however. Instead of
using a open end wrench to tighten the bolt from the bottom I took a box end
wrench, cut it in half so it fit better while tightening and then cut a slot
in it for the coax to pass through. Just seemed to work better and I keep it
in the pick up in case I need to tighten the bolt or do work on the mount.

Have been real happy with mine.

Sam - K7SAM

Old January 6th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joe S.

"M.M." wrote in message
Joe S. wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who answered -- I really appreciate your comments.

Mark:

Your experience is especially relevant as I have just purchased a used Mazda
B4000 -- basically a Ranger with a Mazda nameplate. I lost my 16-year-old
Nissan pickup along with an FT-857D in Hurricane Katrina ( go to
www.schlatter.org to see some ugly photos ) and am replacing it with the
Mazda. I rescued the ASAT-120 from the hurricane and bought a new FT-857
last week; I plan to install two antennas on the truck, dual-bander for 2
and 450 and the ATAS-120, will put them in the rear stake holes.

Thanks again.

73,
Joe

Old January 8th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joe S.

"Joe S." wrote in message
Anyone have experience with these mounts?

http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm

As you see from their website, the mounts are mounted into the stake holes
in the sides of a pickup bed. Anyone here used these mounts? What was
your experience? What truck? How difficult/easy was the installation?
Has the mount lasted?

Thanks.

Thanks to all who replied. I checked out the GeoTool website, read their
instructions, etc. Then, I investigated my truck and it looks like a simple
installation -- the interior of the stake hole is readily accessible with
the taillight fixture removed. I ordered two of the GeoTool mounts today --
one for a Radiall/Larsen dual-bander VHF/UHF and one for an ASAT-120.

Will post photos of the installation later.