Old January 9th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod

Default Any experience with the G5RV multiband wire antenna?

The G5RV antenna can be found by googling. Anyone using this
arrangement. It uses a coax feed to balanced feed (which variously acts
as radiating elements, depending on the band). The author says a balun
is not needed but then describes an RF choke that sounds a lot like a
balun. I am also concerned about TVI with this system.

John
Old January 9th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

http://www.cebik.com/wire/g5rv.html

http://www.vk1od.net/G5RV/
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old January 9th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mark Keith

jawod wrote:

The G5RV antenna can be found by googling. Anyone using this
arrangement. It uses a coax feed to balanced feed (which variously acts
as radiating elements, depending on the band). The author says a balun
is not needed but then describes an RF choke that sounds a lot like a
balun. I am also concerned about TVI with this system.

John

I'm not crazy about them at all. I'm not a fan
of switching feedline types midroute to the antenna.
This applies to other antennas as well. The G5RV
was designed mainly as a 20 meter antenna. I'm
not sure who decided it was the magical platform
for a multiband antenna, but someone did...
Someone should get a rope I think... :/
You would be much better ditching the coax and
choke, and running straight ladder line, if feeding
all bands with a tuner. I think coax fed antennas
should see a proper match at the feedpoint of
the antenna. If I'm going to use coax, I'm going to
run coax the whole way.
Some run the "carolina" windoms the same way pretty
much.. I've directly tested simple coax fed
dipoles against both of these antennas. It was
fairly ugly. The simple dipole thrashed both of them
handily. There is a good bit of loss in all that
feedline clutter. Some bands worse than others.
If you are going to run a tuner and ladder line for
all band use, a simple dipole on the lowest band
to be used is a fairly decent compromise. No need
to add excess feedline clutter. And loss.
If you use ladder line all the way, and tune carefully
using the least inductance, you will have a
fairly efficient system on most all the bands.
Most tuners include a 4:1, but some prefer a 1:1
balun instead.
MK

--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k
Old January 9th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

To summarise - dump it !

Old January 9th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred W4JLE

The choke balun is used because the G5RV is fed with balanced line. They
work well, last a long time and require a tuner. I have never had any TVI
with one, nor did I ever expect any.

Old January 9th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ricke

If SETUP right , There the best HF I've ever used.

Old January 9th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Ricke wrote:
If SETUP right , There the best HF I've ever used.

Maybe the only one? :-) The G5RV, with tuner, is a pretty
good 80m, 40m, 20m, and 12m antenna. If the series section
is varied from 20 feet to 36 feet, it becomes a very good
all-HF-band antenna. With the addition of a parallel 1000pf
capacitor with the series section at 22 feet, on 75m my "G5RV"
has SWR of 1.3:1 and works as well as a 75m 1/2WL dipole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old January 9th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
F4DRH

Hi John,

The "Center Feeded Dipole" (feeding with twin-leads) would give you better
performances and no TVI.

But if you prefer the G5RV do not use any balun (with magnetic stuff). In
somme cases, baluns brings losses (if high SWR on the line). You may find
many people that will say that their G5RV works perfectly well with a balun
..... they are lucky !!!
It is better to connect the coax directly to your antenna tuner.

Good luck

Jean-Marc
F4DRH
www.barbaxoops.com

Old January 9th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod

F4DRH wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for advice!

It seems likely that, as I re-enter ham radio, I will be using a rig
with an SO-239 plug as an output. The unit I am considering has an
internal ATU. So, it would appear likely that SOME coax will be used.
I've read articles that indicate a simple PVC pipe wound with 20 or so
turns of coax is sufficient for a coax to dipole configuration.

I guess I am trying to have a multiband dipole antenna that uses the
low-loss ladder line as part of the antenna on some bands. This seems
consistent with the G5RV.

Any thoughts on other designs to accomplish this? Many articles seem to
steer clear of series traps in the dipole. I must have TVI as a high
potential concern..

Anyway THANKS!

Jean-Marc: nice antenna system...your twin lead looks like coax...is it?

john
Old January 9th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
F4DRH

Jean-Marc: nice antenna system...your twin lead looks like coax...is it?

john

Hi John,

Here is my twin lead detail:
http://www.barbaxoops.com/modules/xc...&album=7&pos=2

.... and the twin lead installed on the center feed (click on picture to
enlarge):
http://www.barbaxoops.com/modules/xc...&album=7&pos=4
http://www.barbaxoops.com/modules/xc...&album=7&pos=4

The antenna tuner (MacCoy):